What's new

Slow Wireless LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmckay_nj@yahoo.com

New Around Here
ok here is a strange one. i have a network in my house, about 15 cat5e runs throught the house, and some cat 6. all my hard wired pcs/devices are running at Gbps.. 130MBps speed. runs great. my cable modem is also very fast download speed both hard wired and wireless are 120mbps 11 - 12 MBps. here is my problem. i have a pc acting as a streaming media server media center. and an additional pc i use as secondary storage and as a gaming box. from my laptop which is a dual band 5.4 ghz connected to the n band on my router i can copy data from my streaming server wirelessly 12MBps no problesm however if i pull from the gaming box its only copying at like 1MBps and less. now here is the weird part if on the gaming box and map to the laptop and copy to the laptop it is perfect.. like 9MBps.. but on the laptop pulling from gameing box slow 1MBps. weird. i appreciate anyinfo. also all systems are running win 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Sounds very much like registry/LANManserver issues and/or SMB protocol issues.

How exactly are you accessing? Mapped network drive in each case?

Can you try different drivers for the wireless card on the laptop?

Me thinks you might want to try downloading and running wireshark to see what is going on (and look up a tutorial on it).

PS I have to note, 1Gbps is not 130MB/sec, it is 125MB/sec ultimate max PHY rate. Payload rate with standard 1500MTU, TCP and SMB is going to be more like 114-116MB/sec. Though that isn't really here nor there.

hi, thanks for the reply.. and yes your right about the 1gbps.. i actually rn a test again and it peaked and sustained a rate around 118MB not 130.. reguradless it was still smoking fast. ;-).. as far as the laptop a little more info i recently installed a fresh install of win 7 ultimate. and as far as driver they are all current. i have tried both being mapped to the destination and also just by windows explorer temp connection to the network path and same results. now here is the crazy thing.. last night it was making me nuts.. i was trying for like 2 hours before i posted.. and rebooted both gaming box and laptop but could not get about 1MB now just tried it again changed absolutly nothing and it's 11MB.. very weird.. i will continues to monitor it and see how it goes.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!