What's new

Small Home Network Question / Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommy25

New Around Here
Hi all,

I need some advice on extending my wi-fi network throughout my house. My situation is as follows:

My max ISP speed is 100 Mbps, with my modem and Netgear AC1900 router being in the basement. My connection speeds are hit/miss on the 2nd and 3rd levels of my house because of my router placement. I have a desktop PC hard-wired in the basement, which is why I have the modem and router down there for now.

Me and my family have numerous 2.4 GHz and 5GHz devices that we use all over the house, mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

I can easily plug my desktop directly into the modem for connectivity, but my question is what is the best way to get my router onto the main floor without losing precious connection speed? MoCA? Powerline? Or would just using a wi-fi extender be a better option? I have an old Netgear WNDR3700 I could use as a repeater which could be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Best way is to get an Ethernet cable between the basement and main floor.
If you have coax in place, you could try MoCA. But powerline may be easier.

Use powerline between the modem and router WAN port.

Thanks thiggins, unfortunately running cable is not an option. I should have said that off the bat!

Any way of getting the modem out of the basement? That is the worst possible location for a wireless dependent installation (but not quite as bad as a neighbor who's "electrician" put the router inside a steel cabinet).

Best way is to get an Ethernet cable between the basement and main floor.
If you have coax in place, you could try MoCA. But powerline may be easier.

Use powerline between the modem and router WAN port.
Dear OP: on the above, MoCA and AC power wiring in the home are alternatives to running ethernet (Cat5e) cable.
MoCA uses a pair of Etherent-to/from-TV-coax adapters to use existing TV coax cable in the walls to transport.
HomePlug, HNPA are the same adapter concept, but the conversion to/from uses the power wiring to transport.
There is a forum section here on MoCA and HPNA.
http://www.snbforums.com/forums/moca-homeplug-hpna.34/

These are both a less desirable solution than a cat5 (round or flat) cable.

Any way of getting the modem out of the basement? That is the worst possible location for a wireless dependent installation (but not quite as bad as a neighbor who's "electrician" put the router inside a steel cabinet).

I've thought hard about that and ideally I would have the modem on the 2nd floor, but I like keeping my desktop hardwired in with Cat 5 cable. This isn't required I suppose, but preferred. I am open to any suggestions though.

Dear OP: on the above, MoCA and AC power wiring in the home are alternatives to running ethernet (Cat5e) cable.
MoCA uses a pair of Etherent-to/from-TV-coax adapters to use existing TV coax cable in the walls to transport.
HomePlug, HNPA are the same adapter concept, but the conversion to/from uses the power wiring to transport.
There is a forum section here on MoCA and HPNA.
http://www.snbforums.com/forums/moca-homeplug-hpna.34/

These are both a less desirable solution than a cat5 (round or flat) cable.

Thanks, I am familiar with the very basics of these but the execution not so much. I know there are tons of factors involved so I can't ask you all which is better for me, but in general, what method is preferred - MoCA or HomePlug/Powerline?

EDIT: I should also state that running cable is not an option because I would need to be opening walls up to get to Cat 5 cable to the 2nd or 3rd level, and I am just not willing to do that since I likely won't be living in my current house much longer.

well, step one.
Recognize that the WiFi router needs to be centrally located. That's not the basement.
If not HomePlug/HPNA, then buy one or two of these and hope that handheld WiFi things served by these don't really need high speed - more than say 6Mbps down. Intelligent placement is key.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-A...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-U...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

or cheaper on newegg or amazon for other brands like TP-link

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!