What's new

Speed Problem, Wired or Wireless - RT-AC68P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PoBoy92

New Around Here
I am getting slow download speeds via wired (5.05 Mbps) or wireless (3.81 Mbps) on the Asus. If I plug directly into my UVerse modem I am getting 25.92 Mbps down. Upload speeds are in the 5 Mbps that is expect per my service choice of UVerse Turbo. I can expect download speeds up to 57 Mbps, I have been told by AT&T tech running new cables today. If I plug the Asus into the UVerse the speed drops to 4.64 Mbps while plugged into the Uverse box.

Before today, and the new modem, my speeds via the Asus were about 3.83 Mbps down and .25 Mbps up, but the same laptop plugged into the the UVerse box was getting approx 12 Mbps down (I did not try wireless since it is disabled on the Uverse modem). During this test the Asus was plugged into the Uverse box and I still got the 12 Mbps down but not any longer.

I have had the issue for a bit and it has been progressively getting worse. Here is my current setup and things I have tried so far:
  • Using AT&T Uverse, with newly installed today, NVG589.
  • I have my AC68P behind the NVG589 but the Asus is setup via IP Passthrough (the Uverse equivalent of DMZ).
  • I have tried both the latest Asus Merlin Firmware (378.55) and Asus Firmware (378.6975) with no difference.
  • I upgrade firmware, did not wipe the config and problem still existed
  • I have NOW wiped/reset to defaults the firmware from the config page on the Asus and then retried both the Merlin and Asus firmware, which produced no positive change.
  • I currently am using the default Asus config (SSIDs, IP scheme, etc.) and firmware, yet speeds are still slow.
  • I only have one device talking to the AC68P on this default SSID, yet these are still my speeds.
  • My wireless testing has been on the 5G channel.
  • I have verified that all cables are Cat 5e.
What else am I missing? How can I get my speeds to mimic the Uverse box? There are some advantages to setup and usage of the Asus I want to take advantage vs. using the Uverse modem / wireless.

Thanks!

Well that might have been the worse never mind post ever. After typing this up, I changed Cat5 cables again, to a shorter one (like 3 feet) that came with the Asus vs another I had. Which caused speeds to ramp right back up. So all is solved.

With UVerse - sometimes it helps to contact Customer Care and talk it thru with them...

DSLAM's are typically provisioned by MAC addr of the GW/CPE, so swapping out gateway addresses can lead to problems on the customer end.

always check duplex settings on all devices too. Erratic speeds are often caused by duplex mismatch. Changing to a shorter cable may have just been luck until you reboot...or had a bad cable