What's new

Stuck between a few Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

WNDR4700v4 or WNDR4700

So I'm trying to decide what to get I've narrowed it down and gonna pick one up today after the dentist.

WNDR3700 prob v4

WNDR4700 without the hard drive (don't need it that's why I have a server..) Its on sale for $79!

My needs the QoS needs to work decent for throttling my uploads to keep my ping down.

It needs to be stable and no go down to where I have to reboot it or it drop wan.

The Wireless part is really not that all important only a few devices will be using its WiFi the rest will be on the access point.

There will be about 22 devices connected at all times and about 8 using at the same time, don't say I need some big router this is just my home and I've certainly been able to do this on some older routers with no issue. My internet speed is only 25megs so the throughput is no issue to make me pay more for the router.

So it goes down to should I get the WNDR3700 or the WNDR4700. I just need something to be good and reliable thanks :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have you looked at the router rankings on this site? They show the Asus RT-N66U as the #1 N900 router, the Netgear WNDR4700 is #2 in the N900 class, and the Netgear WNDR3700v2 is #7 in the N600 class. So of these three, based on this, I'd pick the Asus RT-N66U first, the Netgear WNDR4700 next, and not the WNDR3700 at all *smile*.

But you should look yourself and read the reviews to see what the tradeoffs are for each router. The only one of these that I have is the Asus RT-N66U, which is a great wireless-n router, especially if you use RMerlin's bug fixed, enhanced firmware.

Have you looked at the router rankings on this site? They show the Asus RT-N66U as the #1 N900 router, the Netgear WNDR4700 is #2 in the N900 class, and the Netgear WNDR3700v2 is #7 in the N600 class. So of these three, based on this, I'd pick the Asus RT-N66U first, the Netgear WNDR4700 next, and not the WNDR3700 at all *smile*.

But you should look yourself and read the reviews to see what the tradeoffs are for each router. The only one of these that I have is the Asus RT-N66U, which is a great wireless-n router, especially if you use RMerlin's bug fixed, enhanced firmware.

I sort of wanted to stay away from Asus RT-N66U. I`ve owned several and just had bad luck :( lol.

I sort of wanted to stay away from Asus RT-N66U. I`ve owned several and just had bad luck :( lol.

Have you considered TP-Link Archer C7? I have it (along with ASUS AC66U) and it's a very decent router (cheap too), though not recommended with Apple devices due to compatibility issues.

Personally, I'd stay away from Netgear, mostly because their support is a joke and they tend to drop previous routers when they release a new one

Have you considered TP-Link Archer C7? I have it (along with ASUS AC66U) and it's a very decent router (cheap too), though not recommended with Apple devices due to compatibility issues.

Personally, I'd stay away from Netgear, mostly because their support is a joke and they tend to drop previous routers when they release a new one

Where would I find information on it not working that well with Apple devices? Did a couple google searches but only came up with some vague forum threads.

Edit: Never mind I read through the main thread on their official site related to this and it's pretty clear.

Last edited:
Where would I find information on it not working that well with Apple devices? Did a couple google searches but only came up with some vague forum threads.

Edit: Never mind I read through the main thread on their official site related to this and it's pretty clear.

Yes, it's on the TP-Link forum where a lot of people complain about either not getting connected to or frequent dropping connections. Since I don't own any Apple devices, I cannot confirm the issues but I read TP-Link is trying to fix the problem.

So.. I have decided I want to give Netgear a change, (I dont need support really ) I do know that there support does suck from read lol.

But anyways

If you HAD to choose lol

R6100 or WNDR3700v4

The only reason I`m thinking of the R6100 is its newer and it has AC I know it doesnt have Gigabit ports, but I`ll be using a switch anyway.

So which do you think or more reliable?

Or since the WNR2500 would be good since its Cheaper? And people seem to praise it.

I've sworn off Netgear for WiFi. Too many lemon products and inconsistency.
Netgear has always made good (metal box/PRO) switches. That was their beginning.

I had Picked up both the R6100 & R6250 and the R6100 SUCKS!! Its so slow Not wireless wise but QoS it can not handle it properly for some reason so it will go back but so Far liking the R6250

I had Picked up both the R6100 & R6250 and the R6100 SUCKS!! Its so slow Not wireless wise but QoS it can not handle it properly for some reason so it will go back but so Far liking the R6250

If you can avoid using QoS, I'd suggest that you do so. It really does add overhead and is a hit on your performance. Just try whichever router you pick without QoS and see how that goes for a while.

If you can avoid using QoS, I'd suggest that you do so. It really does add overhead and is a hit on your performance. Just try whichever router you pick without QoS and see how that goes for a while.

We'll I need upload QoS. I upload a lot of YouTube and files to my server and it kills the connection if I don't add it in. The R6100 works pretty good without QoS. But the R6250 works great with QoS running so I think I may have a keeper.

uploadfromtaptalk1397230954049.jpg

I've never had a 5ghz signal this good downstairs! Of course Im never downstairs at my house but wow! It goes through several rooms and a slant downstairs and its pretty good.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online