What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.20 -July 27, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes I tried both values. Now I changed them to true.

I came across this link and was optimistic that your suggestion regarding --stateful-filtering would be the answer to my issue but that was not the case
I've just tested this again using v1.66.4 on both routers. I've found that the routers must be using kernel mode for this to work.

I'm pretty sure I had previously tested userspace mode and got it to work. But that was with the default Entware packages, or possibly I'm misremembering.

I expect userspace mode can also be made to work with some bespoke router customisation but I'm not sure I can really be bothered to investigate that at this time.

I switched both to kernel mode to no avail. I also deactivated the exit node (I only use it on demand, each network should use its own local internet and I only want the devices to have interconnectivity). Could it be that tailmon is blocking me from changing the setting with tailscale set command? When I tried to deactivate exit node with set --advertise-exit-node=false didn’t change the connection command line in tailmon until I set the option for exit node inside tailmon to no.

162452B5-B91D-4F71-9639-B7818FF42BCC.jpeg

Attachments

• 415DEFBE-758B-4CF3-8EBC-FC5B1FD13D75.jpeg
    415DEFBE-758B-4CF3-8EBC-FC5B1FD13D75.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
I was thinking are are the proper steps to remove Tailscale and re install it? Should I go this path? Entware was installed through amtm.

I was thinking are are the proper steps to remove Tailscale and re install it? Should I go this path? Entware was installed through amtm.
You could certainly try uninstalling it through TAILMON? You may want to wipe out some devices on your Tailnet as well and start those over as well to set things up freshly?

I switched both to kernel mode to no avail.
From your screen shots you still need to set --accept-routes. I've been running two routers site to site all afternoon using kernel mode without issue.

I looked into userspace mode and as far as I can tell full LAN2LAN will not work in that mode. While a Linux node in userspace mode will accept and reply to incoming traffic it cannot send traffic to the other LAN. This is sort of implied in the official documentation. All the LAN2LAN examples are using kernel mode. Userspace mode completely replaces the network stack so the normal Linux routing methods do not apply.

if you are referring to the “Tailscale connection command line” I’ve noticed that whatever I set in the terminal (for example tailscale set - - xxx) it would not reflect and be updated there. But if I run “tailscale debug prefs” it will show what changes I have made. Do you think my settings are not being activated when I call them? That would make sense. The question ist how to change this Tailscale connection command line?

Here is an example. When I set a value through the command line and then I do a restart from tailmon it throws an error because it wants to restart without the values I have set so I copy the line and do it outside of tailmon and it works with no error but then when I login to tailmon screen they don’t show

B3A42AE1-58BD-4C2B-8961-3B3C545C4CFC.jpeg

I have a NAS, how does this benefit me. Can someone explain in layman terms

Here is an example. When I set a value through the command line and then I do a restart from tailmon it throws an error because it wants to restart without the values I have set so I copy the line and do it outside of tailmon and it works with no error but then when I login to tailmon screen they don’t show
TAILMON keeps a record in it's own config what items you want on your command lines... when you run other commands outside of TAILMON, it has no idea what has been done, and just tries to start/execute what it knows about, or what has been configured. It's really mean for simple use, ie. making your router and/or subnet visible for remote access. When you are dealing with multi-network bridging like this, you're going outside the purview of what TAILMON was designed to do, and would recommend discontinuing use, and focus on your own commandlines at this point, until you have something working that you might be able to replicate into TAILMON for any sort of monitoring purpose if you so wish.

TAILMON keeps a record in it's own config what items you want on your command lines... when you run other commands outside of TAILMON, it has no idea what has been done, and just tries to start/execute what it knows about, or what has been configured. It's really mean for simple use, ie. making your router and/or subnet visible for remote access. When you are dealing with multi-network bridging like this, you're going outside the purview of what TAILMON was designed to do, and would recommend discontinuing use, and focus on your own commandlines at this point, until you have something working that you might be able to replicate into TAILMON for any sort of monitoring purpose if you so wish.
Presumably once all custom tailscale up command line parameters are known to be correct, a tailscale up —reset (per the error messages) outside of Tailmon (just once), followed by the correct command line set up from within TAILMON, would be persistent and work?

Last edited:
Presumably once all custom Tailscale up command line parameters are known to be correct, a tailscale up —reset (per the error messages) outside of Tailmon (just once), followed by the correct command line, would be persistent and work?
Correct! Once you have it configured, and know the right commandlines, you should be able to duplicate those into a custom setup in TAILMON.

I have a NAS, how does this benefit me. Can someone explain in layman terms
There is an explanation of what this script does in the initial post of the thread:
Executive Summary: Tailscale is a free and open source service, based on WireGuard®, that helps users build no-hassle virtual private networks. Once you’ve created a Tailscale network (tailnet), you can securely access services and devices on that tailnet from anywhere in the world. TAILMON is a posix shell script that assists with the install, configuration and monitoring of Tailscale, running on your Asus-Merlin FW router. What is Tailscale you ask? Read more here!

Use-case: TAILMON allows you to download and install Tailscale via Entware onto your router, in order to join your router to your Tailscale network (tailnet). When joined, you can optionally designate your router to become an exit node, and/or advertise access to your subnet in order to allow access to devices running on your network… think NAS devices, TVs, Raspberry Pi’s, Ubuntu servers, security cameras. Once installed, you can monitor your Tailscale service and connection with TAILMON, which will optionally restart the service/connection should something bring it down. To make life easier, TAILMON can continue running/monitoring in the background using the SCREEN utility.
Its up to you to decide if you need to use a VPN like Tailscale and the Tailmon add-on to access your NAS.

hello,
I installed Tailmon with Tailscale, and when I check what is my IP, I see my real IP, is it normal!?
thanks

hello,
I installed Tailmon with Tailscale, and when I check what is my IP, I see my real IP, is it normal!?
thanks
Tailscale will not hide your IP in any way. It will only allow you to communicate with other devices on your Tailnet (devices that have active Tailscale running on them or pointing towards them via your router subnet). These devices will also be given their own Taiscale IPs but your original IPs will not be replaced. Hope this makes some sense.

Do you think that this thread should be split in two.

One thread about TAILMON issues.
And one thread helping people to setup their Tailscale config.

What you think?

What you think?
Don't let me stop you! :)

hello,
thanks
This how it works from a simple network diagram standpoint (instead of the raspberry pi icon, imagine that's your Asus Router)

1717349730931.png

What you think?
Hello
I think so! because other people like me, having very little knowledge, not speaking English, sometimes have difficulty understanding the purpose of these addons. they see a priori interest in installing them, but without understanding all the details sometimes.

anyway thank you to the developers for their work!