What's new

trouble getting services-start to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigjohns97

Occasional Visitor
Just a nix noob here trying to learn the ways of the command line, I had previously had this small script working that would enable the 252 option of dhcp to keep my windows 7 box from always searching for a proxy address and now i have updated to the newest beta of the merlin build and it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

#!/bin/sh
echo "dhcp-option=lan,252,"\n"" >> /tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf
killall dnsmasq
dnsmasq -c 1500 --log-async -n

I reboot my router and check the dnsmasq.conf and the dhcp option isn't in there.
is this a possible permission issue since the script was built with a previous version of firmware?

Why not use a custom config file instead? The firmware will automatically do everything for you.

Enable JFFS, then create /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add, with just the line you wish to add. The firmware will automatically append it to the generated dnsmasq.conf each time it creates it, before starting dnsmasq.

Well crap, aren't i glad i started this thread, that is way simpler.

thanks rmerlin!

Is there somewhere i could look to find all of these tricks i might be missing out on?

Well crap, aren't i glad i started this thread, that is way simpler.

thanks rmerlin!

Is there somewhere i could look to find all of these tricks i might be missing out on?

The README included with the firmware actually contains information on every feature/changes done to the firmware vs the original FW. The Wiki on Github also contains various tutorials and tricks (see the sticky post in this forum).

Is that what those are for? :)

Pretty cool stuff never had a router with this kind of power, per ip network stats is pretty cool as well.

Is that what those are for? :)

Pretty cool stuff never had a router with this kind of power, per ip network stats is pretty cool as well.

While we've had fairly advanced firmwares for years with Tomato and DD-WRT, the RT-N66U is probably the router that truly unlocked that potential, thanks to its fast CPU and large amount of both flash and RAM.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!