What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just wondering whether the problem reported in an earlier post with unbound uninstall may have been prompted by the clear ***Error occurred when removing unbound" message which appears half way through the text in the code below?
Despite that message - unbound is in fact successfully uninstalled.

The only bits left [and pretty vital too] are the conf backups to be found in /opt/share/unbound/configs/ :)

Code:
e  = Exit Script

A:Option ==> z

IMPORTANT: It is recommended to REBOOT in order to complete the removal of unbound
             You will be asked to confirm BEFORE proceeding with the REBOOT

Press Y to REMOVE unbound or press [Enter] to CANCEL

Option ==> Y

Uninstalling unbound
KILLing unbound PID=2027
Removing InterNIC Root DNS Servers cron job
Removing Ad and Tracker Update cron job
Existing unbound package found. Removing unbound
Removing package unbound-control-setup from root...
Removing package unbound-control from root...
Removing package unbound-anchor from root...
Removing package unbound-checkconf from root...
Collected errors:
 * print_dependents_warning: Package unbound-daemon is depended upon by packages:
 * print_dependents_warning:    unbound-checkconf
 * print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package unbound-daemon is removed.

* print_dependents_warning: Force removal of this package with --force-depends.
 * print_dependents_warning: Force removal of this package and its dependents
 * print_dependents_warning: with --force-removal-of-dependent-packages.
        ***Error occurred when removing unbound
/opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock folder and all files removed
/opt/var/lib/unbound folder and all files removed
/opt/etc/unbound folder and all files removed
/jffs/addons/unbound folder and all files removed
Removing '/opt/etc/init.d/S61unbound'
Uninstalling stubby
Removing package stubby from root...
Not deleting modified conffile /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml.
libyaml was autoinstalled and is now orphaned, removing.
Removing package libyaml from root...
getdns was autoinstalled and is now orphaned, removing.
Removing package getdns from root...
Deleting  '/opt/etc/stubby'
Removing unbound installer directives from 'dnsmasq.postconf'
Restarting dnsmasq.....
Done.
Removing 'unbound_manager' alias
Deleting Performance/Memory tweaks '/jffs/addons/unbound/stuning'

Uninstall of unbound completed.

The router will now REBOOT to finalize the removal of unbound
After the REBOOT, review the DNS settings on the WAN GUI and adjust if necessary

Press Y to REBOOT  or press [Enter] to ABORT

Of course you need to select Y to reboot to complete the uninstall - who knows what happens if you don't??

I got home after a long trip to the UK (thanks storm Ciara), first thing I did was install Unbound (yes, I'm sad).

Once up and running, I did a quick test by clicking through various websites. I actually said "wow, just wow" out loud :D

Thanks for all the hard work, gents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martineau and everyone involved with this script, a big thank you and excellent job. I just need to mention that on the latest update 2.07 i have lost the ability to enable extended statistics (s+) on both regular and dev build, is it just me or is anyone else having the same issue?

Last edited:
Last night I had to uninstall unbound again. I couldn't get Hulu to load. No matter what options I tried it simply wouldn't connect with the Hulu streaming server. The message in the Hulu app was an unknown error occurred, please try again. I first thought its an issue with one of the blacklists in Skydrive or Diversion, but as soon as I turned off unbound it worked again.

Last night I had to uninstall unbound again. I couldn't get Hulu to load. No matter what options I tried it simply wouldn't connect with the Hulu streaming server. The message in the Hulu app was an unknown error occurred, please try again. I first thought its an issue with one of the blacklists in Skydrive or Diversion, but as soon as I turned off unbound it worked again.
one of the downsides of being your own DNS is configuration issues. if you want to see if it is a setting in the .conf file, try simplifying the .conf

Are you using a VPN?

@Mutzli @[SIZE=4]Xentrk[/SIZE]
Are you using a VPN?

this is also a valid consideration, one user has already mentioned having issues with vpn in a previous post.

I awoke early this morning to upgrade a remote site to 384.15. I was not able to connect to the router's OpenVPN server when using unbound. I saw a message that OpenVPN was unable to resolve the hostname. Once I uninstalled unbound, I was able to make the connection. I'll do some more testing as I believe I was successful the day before connecting to two sites when I had unbound installed over an OpenVPN connection.

I still can't connect to my providers OpenVPN server in LA. Unable to resolve the hostname. So far, that is the only location I have an issue with.

I remember mention in early post that this may require adjustments to your privacy restrictions (rebind protection) and access control options within the unbound.conf to allow/unrestrict the private IP address provided by vpn service, weather it is 10.x.x.x or whatever it may be. (assigned to devices connected to it).

Last edited:
I'm noticing a few minor issues with netflix. Wonder if this is similar or not as I can play an episode or so and then the next one slows slowly (if it loads) and going back to the main screen shows everything blank like it didn't finish transmission.

On a side note: is there a way to bypass unbound for streaming devices such as firetv/apple tv if this is the issue?

I just need to mention that on the latest update 2.07 i have lost the ability to enable extended statistics (s+) on both regular and dev build, is it just me or is anyone else having the same issue?
Whoops :oops::oops::oops: - I think the 'scribe' menu option is broken too?

It will be a couple of hours until I get back and will push v2.08 later.

Just curious here, I’m wondering how many unbound users are using aiprotection. Are you experiencing problems?

Just curious here, I’m wondering how many unbound users are using aiprotection. Are you experiencing problems?
I do. I thought that this could be an issue in regards to my Hulu lockout from yesterday. That's why I checked if somehow the Hulu domains got added to the Skydrive blacklist through AiProtection. But if you have another idea how AiProtection could interfere with unbound?

Something else I notice when unbound is active the routers UI becomes unresponsive sometimes. It takes several seconds for a click to be executed and after it loads the UI page is missing certain elements of the page. Only a manual page reload will fix the UI.

I do. I thought that this could be an issue in regards to my Hulu lockout from yesterday. That's why I checked if somehow the Hulu domains got added to the Skydrive blacklist through AiProtection. But if you have another idea how AiProtection could interfere with unbound?

Well, I’ve noticed random slowdowns where pages don’t seem to resolve. I’ve disabled AIProtection and it seems to have cleared the issue for now. Gotta run this setup for awhile to be sure, but that’s why I figured I ask.

I don't use Hulu, but I do have AiProtection enabled.

With 1, 089, 128 domains on the Diversion blocklist noted.

And Skynet and Unbound, of course.

No issues or slowdowns of note.

+1

Ditto here....exactly as L&LD has set up....no issues for me at this point.....

I'm at work so I cannot check at the moment, but after installing Unbound on Sunday, I was unable to access usaa.com. I didn't have a chance to do any troubleshooting but if someone can check to see if they can access it, then I'll know it's a setup issue on my end.