What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes I believe that some newer routers only have this Symmetric NAT support in there FW. While some of the older generation routers I have, they have the ability to select and use the Full Cone NAT configuration which is why I'm seeing OPEN NAT across the board with these routers vs newer generation routers, except for the NetGear R7800 which is fairly new and I can get OPEN NAT across the board with two consoles playing the same game, i.e. BO3.

Full Cone NAT is one where all requests from the same internal IP address and port are mapped to the same external IP address and port. Furthermore, any external host can send a packet to the internal host, by sending a packet to the mapped external address.

Symmetric NAT is one where all requests from the same internal IP address and port, to a specific destination IP address and port, are mapped to the same external IP address and port. If the same host sends a packet with the same source address and port, but to a different destination, a different mapping is used. Furthermore, only the external host that receives a packet can send a UDP packet back to the internal host.

Sadly I don't, have any new info, my cod games work perfectly fine but upnp is still a bit flaky, battle born 2 copies both get mod nat, gta v rockstar social club has mod nat, mw 3 spec ops has a nat error and, my ATA doesn't get a uPnP forward after the router reboots, the ports don't show up untill I reboot it again, cuz it reboots when it looses the net, and my steam like throws up a port error when doing a net work test, I'll have to start a thread about the issues dedicated to them.

Is this with just one game console and single game online or two or more?

2 pc copies of battle born both clients get mod nat, most of my nat issues are on both my pcs though my xbox some times has nat trip out and reads stict, but its first gen xbox one not the slim i read first gen can be weird about nat some times but mostly its fine. Ive notice though thst the xbox one app on pc tends to trip one will get open the other will get a blocked status, i half suspect that upnp isnt fully ready yet. Ill have to make a thread for my particualr issues.

also when my couin brings his ps 4 over it alwyas gets nat type 2 or moderate nat, but my xbox one gets open which is weird.

Seems that Sony also has this problem as well:
https://community.playstation.com/c...ort.topic.html/multiple_playstation-bM2X.html

Which seems as been going on for a while as well.

Just curious what model router are you using? Whats loaded on it? OEM FW or 3rd party?
What NAT type is it using? Symmetric or does it have support for Full Cone NAT?
Just curious here.

I installed a old D-Link DIR-857 yesterday. OPEN NAT across the board on two consoles with BO3.

Seems that Sony also has this problem as well:
https://community.playstation.com/c...ort.topic.html/multiple_playstation-bM2X.html

Which seems as been going on for a while as well.

Just curious what model router are you using? Whats loaded on it? OEM FW or 3rd party?
What NAT type is it using? Symmetric or does it have support for Full Cone NAT?
Just curious here.

I installed a old D-Link DIR-857 yesterday. OPEN NAT across the board on two consoles with BO3.
Rt-ac88u and merlin 380.68-alpha 2
i get open nat across two copies of all the cod games.

When you say "open nat across two CoD games", how are your consoles configured with the router? Automatic everything on the consoles and just uPnP and maybe QoS enabled and IP reservations for consoles on the router? Thats how most of my configurations are when using routers that have full cone nat support. Limited configurations and just mainly using Ip address reservations for consoles ON the router, QoS and uPnP while everything else is automatic.
Or how do you configure your two consoles for open nat in game?

Nice to know that Asus and Merlin seem to have full cone nat support or able to be flexible with two consoles playing the same game. o_O

I'm thinking we could come up with list of full cone nat routers that support two or more game consoles...
o_O

We have 3 Xbox One consoles used in our house. I know that my nephew has complained sometimes about his box showing the NAT as strict and not being able to join a multiplayer game. He has fixed it sometimes by rebooting his xbox.

I was tempted to try IPv6, on my AC88U router, but not sure if I know how to set it up yet. I have Time Warner ( now called Spectrum).

I know that Microsoft states on their website that its best to use IPv6 on the Xbox One.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/ipv6-on-xbox-one

Been mentioned that if IPv6 becomes the norm for gaming then all this IPv4 multi game console NAT issues, I presume, would go away. Depending upon ISPs, IPv6 configurations on the consoles and I presume in games as well.

So for now, I guess, gamers should be aware of what there routers support as far as kind of NAT uPnP implements and if they have two or more game consoles under one roof, they should inquired of there router Mfr on what model routers support "FULL CONE" NAT which seems to be the current best configuration for xbox live and or play station.

My 2 cents.

When you say "open nat across two CoD games", how are your consoles configured with the router? Automatic everything on the consoles and just uPnP and maybe QoS enabled and IP reservations for consoles on the router? Thats how most of my configurations are when using routers that have full cone nat support. Limited configurations and just mainly using Ip address reservations for consoles ON the router, QoS and uPnP while everything else is automatic.
Or how do you configure your two consoles for open nat in game?

Nice to know that Asus and Merlin seem to have full cone nat support or able to be flexible with two consoles playing the same game. o_O
2 pcs qos on no static ip's, upnp handles everything, static ip reservations stuffed my old netgear routers upnp the one I had before my 88u, can't afford a nother xbox one lol, not enough TV's for two, my xbox is connected to the same monitor as my main pc.
Upnp works for the most part but like I said there are still a few problems with with it, I think that it needs a few more masquerade rules added to fix some of the issues I still have in the post I made, I kinda want to have them fixed before I write a uPnP guide, I've been doing heavy research into upnp, to get the best ideas of how it works, so I can give a better explanation.

Would be interested to see if you can get IPv6 going and see what your multiple game consoles show on the dashboard and in game with same game running.

We have 3 Xbox One consoles used in our house. I know that my nephew has complained sometimes about his box showing the NAT as strict and not being able to join a multiplayer game. He has fixed it sometimes by rebooting his xbox.

I was tempted to try IPv6, on my AC88U router, but not sure if I know how to set it up yet. I have Time Warner ( now called Spectrum).

I know that Microsoft states on their website that its best to use IPv6 on the Xbox One.

Xbox uses an ipv6 tunnel already for those that have ipv6 4

I presume uPnP is a factor along with this NAT type thats used in current FW. Symmetric vs Full Cone. If Full Cone is even still used by those in development.

I'm going to go check out a new Asus ROG Game Router either tonite or tomorrow. I'm curious to see if OEM FW does with two game consoles and two BO3 games going at the same time.

2 pcs qos on no static ip's, upnp handles everything, static ip reservations stuffed my old netgear routers upnp the one I had before my 88u, can't afford a nother xbox one lol, not enough TV's for two, my xbox is connected to the same monitor as my main pc.
Upnp works for the most part but like I said there are still a few problems with with it, I think that it needs a few more masquerade rules added to fix some of the issues I still have in the post I made, I kinda want to have them fixed before I write a uPnP guide, I've been doing heavy research into upnp, to get the best ideas of how it works, so I can give a better explanation.

Would need to make sure the host router is set up for IPv6 as well. There are different configurations for IPv6...Would need to ask the ISP which one is needed.

I presume uPnP is a factor along with this NAT type thats used in current FW. Symmetric vs Full Cone. If Full Cone is even still used by those in development.

I'm going to go check out a new Asus ROG Game Router either tonite or tomorrow. I'm curious to see if OEM FW does with two game consoles and two BO3 games going at the same time.
I would love to get a gt5300 but Merlin does not support it, for understandable reasons, also it's quite expensive to buy.

Would need to make sure the host router is set up for IPv6 as well. There are different configurations for IPv6...Would need to ask the ISP which one is needed.
In xbox one they use a tedro tunnel, to get ipv6 4 to translate to ipv6.

It says on that link that you must have IPv6 enabled though for it to work.

I had no problem getting the router setup to use IPv6, but already had to turn it back off.

I was getting a random long pause, then after that long pause the connection reset. It wasn't the router resetting, it was my Time Warner Cable modem resetting, I could see all its lights go off then reboot. I don't know why its doing that with IPv6. It even passed all the IPv6 tests except for one test which said there was no host name, but I don't know where I would enter that.

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP Modem?

It says on that link that you must have IPv6 enabled though for it to work.

I had no problem getting the router setup to use IPv6, but already had to turn it back off.

I was getting a random long pause, then after that long pause the connection reset. It wasn't the router resetting, it was my Time Warner Cable modem resetting, I could see all its lights go off then reboot. I don't know why its doing that with IPv6. It even passed all the IPv6 tests except for one test which said there was no host name, but I don't know where I would enter that.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!