What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R3 v1.3.5 -May 11, 2024- Monitor WAN/Dual-WAN/OpenVPN Health & Reset Multiple OpenVPN Connections (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alright, then I have some artistic critique on what can be outputted :)

Code:
  VPNMON-R3 - v1.3.5                  (S)how/(H)ide Operations Menu               Mon Sep 30 08:25:40 CDT 2024

Slot | Mon |  Svrs  | Health | VPN State    | Public VPN IP   | Ping-->VPN | City Exit / Time
-------|-----|--------|--------|--------------|-----------------|------------|---------------------------------
  VPN1 | [X] | [0004] | [ OK ] | Connected    | 108.181.092.050 | [0012.538] | Dallas: 0d 00h:42m
  VPN2 | [X] | [0007] | [ OK ] | Connected    | 037.120.157.250 | [0034.783] | Miami: 0d 00h:07m
  VPN3 | [ ] | [0000] | [n/a ] | Disconnected | [n/a]           | [n/a]      | [n/a]
  VPN4 | [ ] | [0000] | [n/a ] | Disconnected | [n/a]           | [n/a]      | [n/a]
  VPN5 | [ ] | [0000] | [n/a ] | Disconnected | [n/a]           | [n/a]      | [n/a]
-------|-----|--------|--------|--------------|-----------------|------------|---------------------------------

6s / 10% [e=Exit] [Selection?  ]

Svrs - will one really ever go up to 9999 servers in the list? Seems like 99 would be enough, or at least 999? So minus 1 or 2 characters
Health - looks good
"VPN State" - too wide, call it "Link", and say ON or OFF ? YES or NO ? ...
"Public VPN IP" - looks good
"Ping" - would be OK to just do 3 or 4 digits, no decimals.
"City Exit / Time" - split into "Time" (goes first since it's fixed width), then City Exit (goes last)

Extra credit - some additional useful statistics to consider, say you are going to track the last 20 (N) pings:
percent of successful pings out of last N or less if just started
average successful ping in ms
standard deviation of the successful pings

For this one has a couple of arrays of N length, keep success [0 or 1], and ping value. Then as the values reach the end, start overwriting. Keep track of sum of x, and sum of x^2, so you can calculate standard deviation. So when overwriting you remove the oldest x from the sum of x, and x^2, and add the new one. If reconnecting - clear everything.

Alright, then I have some artistic critique on what can be outputted :)
Everyone is always a critic it seems...

Svrs - will one really ever go up to 9999 servers in the list? Seems like 99 would be enough, or at least 999? So minus 1 or 2 characters
I have 2171 servers for one of my slots. Thinking I'm going to stick with 4 chars.

"VPN State" - too wide, call it "Link", and say ON or OFF ? YES or NO ? ...
VPN state is either connected or disconnected... or error. Not liking the suggestions.

"Ping" - would be OK to just do 3 or 4 digits, no decimals.
Some people like to see this down to the 1000's for their ping times... some people are even very vocal about this. I like being extremely accurate as much as possible when displaying this info.

"City Exit / Time" - split into "Time" (goes first since it's fixed width), then City Exit (goes last)
The days could be 1 digit, 2 digits, even 3 digits in extreme cases.... so it's a variable field, along with the city name... perfect keeping them together.

Extra credit - some additional useful statistics to consider, say you are going to track the last 20 (N) pings:
percent of successful pings out of last N or less if just started
average successful ping in ms
standard deviation of the successful pings

For this one has a couple of arrays of N length, keep success [0 or 1], and ping value. Then as the values reach the end, start overwriting. Keep track of sum of x, and sum of x^2, so you can calculate standard deviation. So when overwriting you remove the oldest x from the sum of x, and x^2, and add the new one. If reconnecting - clear everything.
I'm probably not going to do to well on this test... good suggestions though. But I'm pretty happy with the way it looks/works at the moment. I'll consider adding more stats down the road... maybe even on it's own stats page.

Everyone is always a critic it seems...

I'm probably not going to do to well on this test... good suggestions though. But I'm pretty happy with the way it looks/works at the moment. I'll consider adding more stats down the road... maybe even on it's own stats page.
Sorry, I got too excited with the new useful addition to my router! :D

It solved an important issue for me, so I thought I'd feedback some fresh eye perspective.

Of course, it does all I need already - so happy how it is! Thanks again for developing in!