What's new

What's a good NON-Asus router to replace a GT-AX6000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Asus support in the UK is less helpful. After hearing of my 2.4 GHz issue, they merely asked me to return the router.
I sent them links to numerous forum posts with Asus customers complaining about the 2.4 GHz and asked them if Asus have any routers with reliable 2.4 GHz. He did not take the opportunity to recommend something.
Perhaps I should e-mail the CEO with a list of links.

So as Asus are unwilling to deal with that, I'm looking for alternatives.
No, Asus isn't unwilling to deal with it, they're offering you to RMA your faulty unit.
I have the same router, I have zero issues and both bands cover our 92 square meter flat just fine. If this was a wide-spread problem, there would be a recall or something similar.

Question, did you power up the router without attaching the antennas? As that could fry the power amplifiers and in turn your radios will not perform as expected.

I had an RT-AX68U go bad, most likely something related to the flash memory, took it back, was given a new unit, no issues. That's how RMA works in most of the world. They might never figure out the issue with your router and Asus clearly doesn't think it's a huge issue. Just accept the RMA you're being offered.

No, Asus isn't unwilling to deal with it, they're offering you to RMA your faulty unit.
I have the same router, I have zero issues and both bands cover our 92 square meter flat just fine. If this was a wide-spread problem, there would be a recall or something similar.

Question, did you power up the router without attaching the antennas? As that could fry the power amplifiers and in turn your radios will not perform as expected.

I had an RT-AX68U go bad, most likely something related to the flash memory, took it back, was given a new unit, no issues. That's how RMA works in most of the world. They might never figure out the issue with your router and Asus clearly doesn't think it's a huge issue. Just accept the RMA you're being offered.
Well, I suppose an RMA is one solution, which I accepted. However, my ideal solution is a reliable 2.4 GHz connection with the Asus router. They have not proposed anything.

I connected the antennas before using it. The 2.4 GHz does work, however my ESP devices will usually disconnect after a period of time and stay disconnected.

If you do a search here, you will find a number of threads about 2.4 GHz issues on various Asus AX routers. Plus at least one on a BE.
On Amazon, my router gets a good overall score. However, among the 1 star reviews, quite a number of people are complaining about the 2.4 GHz issue.
So if they want even better customer satisfaction, that would be one issue to tackle.

I'm currently back on my ISP router. The 2.4 GHz devices have connected and remain connected.

If I can't find another router that I like, I suppose I could order another Asus router to test, as it's very easy to return to Amazon within the 30 day window. Finding something else is my first priority.

You started from an obsolete RT-AC66U. Virtually any new router is going to be an upgrade. Most folks would just grab one popular Archer AX55 for under £100 and call it a day. It's currently £67 on Amazon UK and they allow returns as far as I know. In Europe more expensive routers mostly give you firmware features. All routers in Europe are restricted by local regulations to 100mW on 2.4GHz band and 200mW on 5GHz band non-DFS range. I could tell you this earlier if I knew the country you live in.

100mW vs 200mW, that is terrible...

The Asus support in the UK is less helpful. After hearing of my 2.4 GHz issue, they merely asked me to return the router.
I sent them links to numerous forum posts with Asus customers complaining about the 2.4 GHz and asked them if Asus have any routers with reliable 2.4 GHz. He did not take the opportunity to recommend something.

You started from an obsolete RT-AC66U. Virtually any new router is going to be an upgrade. Most folks would just grab one popular Archer AX55 for under £100 and call it a day. It's currently £67 on Amazon UK and they allow returns as far as I know. In Europe more expensive routers mostly give you firmware features. All routers in Europe are restricted by local regulations to 100mW on 2.4GHz band and 200mW on 5GHz band non-DFS range. I could tell you this earlier if I knew the country you live in.
He mentioned UK a few times...

Well, I suppose an RMA is one solution, which I accepted. However, my ideal solution is a reliable 2.4 GHz connection with the Asus router. They have not proposed anything.

I connected the antennas before using it. The 2.4 GHz does work, however my ESP devices will usually disconnect after a period of time and stay disconnected.

If you do a search here, you will find a number of threads about 2.4 GHz issues on various Asus AX routers. Plus at least one on a BE.
On Amazon, my router gets a good overall score. However, among the 1 star reviews, quite a number of people are complaining about the 2.4 GHz issue.
So if they want even better customer satisfaction, that would be one issue to tackle.

I'm currently back on my ISP router. The 2.4 GHz devices have connected and remain connected.

If I can't find another router that I like, I suppose I could order another Asus router to test, as it's very easy to return to Amazon within the 30 day window. Finding something else is my first priority.
Well, I've had three of them, the RT-AX68U, the RT-AX86U Pro (as I had to have a router ASAP when the RT-AX68U was having issues) and now a GT-AX6000 and none of them have had issues with either radio.

As WiFi transmitters are analog parts, they're not all identical and you'll find that two identical routers or any other kind of WiFi radio, will behave differently. Wireless signal transmission isn't an exact science and this is why no-one on this planet can guarantee the same performance between two routers of the same type. Routers are individually calibrated during production and they have a target they have to meet, but sometimes something goes wrong and this target might show up as met during the testing, but once it arrives in your home, it doesn't work as intended.

As such, send it back, test the replacement unit and if that still doesn't work, well, then you either have some really weird interference or really bad luck.

As you can see below, the 2.4 GHz network is working just fine and I have an Intel AX210 card in my PC. I also don't have any devices falling off the 2.4 GHz radio.

1726669766298.png

It's a forum, direct support I honestly stopped using for a long time:

Well, I've had three of them, the RT-AX68U, the RT-AX86U Pro (as I had to have a router ASAP when the RT-AX68U was having issues) and now a GT-AX6000 and none of them have had issues with either radio.

As WiFi transmitters are analog parts, they're not all identical and you'll find that two identical routers or any other kind of WiFi radio, will behave differently. Wireless signal transmission isn't an exact science and this is why no-one on this planet can guarantee the same performance between two routers of the same type. Routers are individually calibrated during production and they have a target they have to meet, but sometimes something goes wrong and this target might show up as met during the testing, but once it arrives in your home, it doesn't work as intended.

As such, send it back, test the replacement unit and if that still doesn't work, well, then you either have some really weird interference or really bad luck.

As you can see below, the 2.4 GHz network is working just fine and I have an Intel AX210 card in my PC. I also don't have any devices falling off the 2.4 GHz radio.
I agree the transmitters are not all identical. Neither is the user requirement.

If it's interference, it must be pretty sophisticated, as my 2.4 GHz ESP devices maintain a consistent connection as soon as I reverted from the Asus router to the Vodafone router.
In fact, on the first full day back on the Vodafone router, they uploaded 6961 messages and on the second full day, 6960. Very consistent.
The daily numbers were all over the place with the Asus. Including zero messages on one day, after it dropped all the connections and didn't reconnect. Hardly ever at 100%.

As for the user requirements, well I'm not sure I'd notice how the 2.4 GHz band performed if I didn't have the ESP devices. I prefer my phone to connect on 5 GHz. If I connected to 2.4 GHz and it dropped, the phone would switch to 5 GHz & I might not notice.

There are numerous threads & other customer reviews referring to issues with 2.4GHz connections on Asus devices, so I'm not alone. Look through the 1 star Amazon reviews -quite a few refer to specific 2.4 GHz band issues. Very few refer to specific 5 GHz issues.

As for power output, mentioned by other contributors. Well, I still get quite respectable speeds on 5 GHz WiFi at the other end of my 4 bedroom house. So European power outputs are adequate for my needs.

The power output cannot be affecting 3 of my ESP devices on 2.4 GHz, as all are now very close to the router. The 4th is a further away, but that's the one where a stable connection is not quite as important, as that device fulfils it's intended function with or without wifi. Right now, even that is maintaining a connection to the Vodafone router.

The Vodafone router stays, whilst I think about what next.

Either I try to find another decent router brand, risk another Asus, making sure it goes straight back within the 30 day window if not performing, or perhaps tolerate the Vodafone router for a little longer.

Tplink has moved their Shenzhen headquarters to a brand new Shenzhen headquarters.

This is the latest that I found...

This is the latest that I found...

Keep searching and you will find more.

Type Building
Status Completed
Completion 2024