What's new

Which wireless with Storage/Printer sharing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Daniel

I only know the Airport Extreme.

I have a WRT610N on order that I may cancel if I find a better alternative. Never had a wireless and waited that much so Draft would get our of Draft but it seems it will never happen. I thought the latest and greatest from LinkSys would be it, the latest review does not make it an awesome product but not sure a perfect product exist anyway.

My girlfriend is on Mac and I'm on PC and we share a printer. Having it plugged right into the router could simplify this.

Thanks for any input.

My girlfriend is on Mac and I'm on PC and we share a printer. Having it plugged right into the router could simplify this.
No, it would probably complicate it. The print sharing built into routers is very elementary and primarily aimed at Windows users.

If you want to take the computer out of the loop, get a separate print server.

I only know the Airport Extreme.

I have a WRT610N on order that I may cancel if I find a better alternative. Never had a wireless and waited that much so Draft would get our of Draft but it seems it will never happen. I thought the latest and greatest from LinkSys would be it, the latest review does not make it an awesome product but not sure a perfect product exist anyway.

Thanks for any input.

I've actually had good results with the Airport Express - that's quite a nice way to share a printer, but not storage. And since it's an Apple product, I found that the printer support was quite solid on my Mac and my Windows XP machine. YMMV, of course.

Thanks for the info vnangia. What is the printer you are sharing? Not a multi-function is it?

Thanks vnangia for the info.

I don't know between the WRT610N and AirPort Extreme. If I tell my girlfriend that the Extreme is an option she may want to go for it as she is a Mac user. Both device looks good to me but it's not about the look right? :)

Up until now we switch the USB cable from one computer to the other when we need to print and that is not very often so not really a problem.

And sharing storage seems a very slow option so in the end I will get hopefully the one with best wireless option.

Thanks for the info vnangia. What is the printer you are sharing? Not a multi-function is it?

It's a(n?) HP C4280 MFP. We've never had occasion to scan from it, though, but I would reasonably assume it would not work. However, we have had no problems printing to it using any of the operating systems we're running (Win2000, Win XP, Win Vista, OS X 10.4, OS X 10.5, Ubuntu 6.10+, Fedora 7, Maemo, FreeBSD 6.2+). Obviously, this is not going to work if you need scanning functionality, but for printing, it's a pretty reliable solution.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!