What's new

Who’s using an ASUS WiFi 7 router directly from a 5 Gig or faster fiberoptic ONT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Sandman

New Around Here
I have Frontier 5 Gig service. Frontier provides and sets up an Eero Max 7 which shows 5.1 Gig up and down on its internal speed test. As soon as they left I swapped in my ASUS BE 30000 mesh router for the eero along with 2 remote, wired BE 30000 mesh nodes. Main ASUS router internal speed test reads 3.7 Gig up, 2.5 Gig down. Of course the accuracy of the internal speed test is questionable but of note is the significantly slower upload speed compared with download.

My router feeds a to link unmanaged (TP Link SX 105) 10G switch, which among other things feeds my 2 wired mesh nodes, a Synology NAS with 10 G capability, a PC with a 10 G NIC, and a PC with 1 G ethernet. At my 1 G computer, speeds are 950 Mbps both up and down. At my 10 G PC, speeds are 5100 Mbps down,2100 - 3500 Mbps up. Wireless…at my newest iPad speeds are 800 Mbps both up and down. At my Samsung Galaxy Tab 9S Ultra with WiFi 7, downloads are around 2500-2800 Mbps down, 1700-1800 up.

I swapped in my ASUS RT-BE96U for the BE 30000 main router with no change in the results. I also swapped in my TP Link SX 1008 for the SX 105), again with no change.

All firmware is up to date. I tried removing all connections from the switch except the 10 G PC… no difference. Also tried 10 G PC direct from 10 G LAN port of router with no ther devices attached. No difference. Enabled jumbo packets at router and 10 G PC… no difference.

For some reason, both wired and wireless upload speeds are significantly slower than download speeds exceed 1 Gig.

Anyone else with ASUS WiFi 7 routers on high speed fiberoptic internet seeing this disparity between upload and download speeds? Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere? Or maybe it’s something flawed in the ASUS firmware?

Hmm… ChatGPT is recommending I try cloning the MAC address of the original eero onto the ASUS router. Hadn’t tried that yet but I will when I get home from work.

I have the same 5Gbps frontier Fios internet GT-BE98 PRO as main router along with Eero max7 as bridge.
The router's built-in speed test is buggy and I get only 3.5/2.8gbps down/up. But from my Mac or any other PC I do get 5.05/5.1Gbps.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 41
You mean Eero max 7 as bridge?
Yes, for a simple reason, Eero max 7 doesn't support a full fledged web portal.
All you can do is to use the Eero app and setup it up as a router or a bridge. Pretty much useless :(.
So, I configured Eero Max 7 as a bridge just to use the 10GbE/2.5GbE ports with WiFi 7 which works great along with BE98 Pro MLO network.
I also have 12-port NetGear XS712T ProSafe 10GbE switch and QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-port 10GbE/SFP+ combo switch.

To configure Eero Max 7 as a bridge, connect your Eero max7 10GbE port to one of your switch's or Asus router's 10GbE port, then install the Eero app on your phone to configure as bridge in the Eero app settings.

Last edited:
One thing you can try that I didn't see mentioned is when you run the speed test on the Eero try to note down the server that it connects to to perform the test. Make sure you manually select the same one when testing the BE30000. They may not be auto selecting the same server, also traffic affects the results...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online