What's new

WiFi Analyzer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
Running the latest Merlin FW on my Asus AX88U Pro router. I think there used to be a WiFi Site Survey (or WiFi Radar) tool which would show WiFi networks and channels to see if there is any area congestion. When I go to Network Tools --> Site Survey I only see available WiFi networks and no graphical channel overlay. Am I missing something or this section has changed in the latest FW?

Thanks for any input on this...

Last edited:
Oh, WiFi Radar was removed. Got it...

Site survey still exists /Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp

Unfortunately doesn’t give a fancy graph or the ssid’s signal strength in numbers.

But honestly wifi radar isn’t really necessary use a computer it’s going to be much more useful assuming the scanning device has the similar capability as your router eg. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/6Ghz ac/ax/axe

Oh, WiFi Radar was removed. Got it...
Yes, removed in the 3004.388.8 (21-July-2024), 3006.102.1 (28-Jun-2024), and 386.14 (20-July-2024) firmware releases.
3004.388.8 (21-July-2024)
- REMOVED: Wifi Radar was removed (unsupported by Wifi 7 devices,
and security issues cited by Asus in their own recent
releases).
3006.102.1 (28-Jun-2024)
releases).
386.14 (20-July-2024)
releases).

But honestly wifi radar isn’t really necessary use a computer it’s going to be much more useful assuming the scanning device has the similar capability as your router eg. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/6Ghz ac/ax/axe
I am running Linux (Arch) and MacOS, can you recommend some good and compatible WiFi scanning apps?

I am running Linux (Arch) and MacOS, can you recommend some good and compatible WiFi scanning apps?

Should be macos compatible.

netspot.jpg

Open terminal and use on arch Linux (their might be more gui friendly versions but this works well enough.)

Code:
nmcli dev wifi

IMG_0005.png

*not my photo

Last edited:

This is not exactly correct because the router sees available bandwidth better than any client and most Wi-Fi Analyzer type apps don't show anything useful except what channels the APs around are tuned to. Does the one above show available bandwidth per channel? If not - useless.

This is not exactly correct because the router sees available bandwidth better than any client and most Wi-Fi Analyzer type apps don't show anything useful except what channels the APs around are tuned to. Does the one above show available bandwidth per channel? If not - useless.

netspot.jpg

netspot2.jpg

heatmap.jpg

Well the desktop version can do the same, you can optionally pair it with a iphone or android netspot application as well and walk around producing a heatmap respective to the position of the router.

As for bandwidth do you mean channel width or bandwidth utilization or wireless link speed? I assume you mean channel width then yes.

I mean exactly available bandwidth per channel. Also called Channel Utilization.

1723859706735.png

How do you know which channel is the best to use without it for example? How busy are the channels you see above in your app?

WiFi Radar was the best place to look, but unfortunately not available anymore. The information was pulled from the Broadcom driver, the way the router sees the environment and tunes its radios accordingly when set on Auto. The image above is also from not available anymore app, unfortunately. It was the best one for Windows, but run into some perhaps licensing issues. For this type apps now everyone wants money. Free apps are mostly useless.

How do you know which channel is the best to use without it for example? How busy are the channels you see above in your app?

Ah okay I see what you mean. From the few wifi analyzers I've used I haven't see this feature on windows applications. Most this one can do in that regard is actively monitor speedtest or iperf, with that you could trial and error your way through channels to determine congestion by speeds increasing or decreasing if you have a known optimal speed.

Yes, and no matter how fancy the app interface is without this key information you end up testing the channels anyway. The mistake most people do is to choose a channel no one uses. Most routers run on Auto and there is a good reason this channel is avoided by every router around. Noise, interference, DFS with radar detection history, etc.

Your account is restricted, I was about to send you a link to one. 🤷‍♂️
Fixed that. Didn't realize my messages were set to noone in privacy.

Mac has a built-in WiFi scanning app. Option click your wireless icon at the top right and click on "Open Wireless Diagnostics", ignore the window that pops up, then at the top left click on "Scan". You can also see the other options besides scan in that list.

Reactions: fsb
fyi for those with a suitable phone..my Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra will show Channel Utilization via the Connectivity Labs > Wi-Fi developer options.
+1 really neat , theres plenty of useful info there.

Here's how to activate that hidden menu.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!