What's new

Wifi dropping on 5G band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I appreciate all of your help. I guess the best thing to do is jump back to the 2.4G band. Whats weird though, is I found best throughput and range on 5G in my home as opposed to 2.4G. Nonetheless, I'd rather have stability at this point.

The 5 GHz band is split in two: low numbered channels (around 36) and high-numbered (around 150). I've seen some devices work better with high-numbered, and others with low-numbered.

Try with a fixed channel at both end of the channel numbers, see if you get better results with either of them.

Having better throughput on the 5 GHz band makes sense if you have a lot of interference on the 2.4 GHz band (interference from other devices will manifest itself in having a high number of packets being retransmitted, which leads to the drop in performance).

The 5 GHz band is split in two: low numbered channels (around 36) and high-numbered (around 150). I've seen some devices work better with high-numbered, and others with low-numbered.

Try with a fixed channel at both end of the channel numbers, see if you get better results with either of them.

Having better throughput on the 5 GHz band makes sense if you have a lot of interference on the 2.4 GHz band (interference from other devices will manifest itself in having a high number of packets being retransmitted, which leads to the drop in performance).

Yeah, on 2.4 sitting right next to the router no matter what channel I use I am not getting full speed. I have comcast at 50MB and pushing high 30's low 40 on 2.4.

For a phone that's fine no problem you would never notice the difference between 40's to your 50. They are not computers just a phone.

Not a phone but my Galaxy 10.1 tablet works great on 5G no drops. But im also using the Merlin build and that has the older drivers. I will wait for Asus to come up with a more stable firmware before I leap in and flash it.

Which version are you using? Do I flash it same way regular firmware?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Im using the 372.32_Bata1 but his 372.31_0 works just as good and its not a bata version. Marlin uses the old drivers from the known good 2xx series firmware. The only time I had problems with the 5G band was Asus firmware 3xx series all the 2XX worked fine here. Merlin builds can be found here.

http://www.mediafire.com/asuswrt-merlin/#y9ctdb7ujzyzk

BTW you install Merlin firmware the same way as Asus firmware and if you don't like it you can simply reflash what ever version you wish no problems there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that this 372.32 beta was mostly intended for testing the new IPv6 firewall. People who don't need that firewall should stick with 372.31 for now.

Note that this 372.32 beta was mostly intended for testing the new IPv6 firewall. People who don't need that firewall should stick with 372.31 for now.

Comcast here has had IPV6 working for my area for about a year now and I want that to be firewalled that's why I am using the bata. FWIW my rtn66u works excellent on it no problems I can tell.

I flashed Merlins firmware, and did my usual test turning wifi on and off to see if the 5g gives me authentication errors or delays and after 20 attempts all attempts connected like lightning. I will have to keep on eye on it to see if I get any drop outs throughout the day. I can only assume it is because of the older drivers or Merlin has some magic dust.

Im sure its the drivers but a little magic dust never hurts. :D

This is one of the issues I remember hearing about (I remember there was another one that affected different Android devices) - this one is specific to the Galaxy S4:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...alaxy-s4-slow-wifi-issues-when-using-aes.html

The issue occurs with different router models (I saw one report that mentionned a DLink router).

I do not recommend applying the suggested workaround (switching to TKIP) as this would greatly reduce the security of your wireless network.

It's quite odd however that the issue would be tied to the encryption mechanism used. I wish I had an affected device here, so I could try just downgrading the encryption library to the older version to see if that was enough to resolve the issue while still using the newer driver.

Out of curiosity, if anyone is also suffering from problems when using 374_257, please try the suggested workaround (switching to TKIP) just to see if by any chance it would be the same issue.

I will test this out and report back in a few

Edit: I misread your post, I didn't suffer from slow speed on aes, just the darn wifi drops on 5g.

Last edited:
Also, while this is no means scientific, I stumbled onto the following. Whenever my Galaxy S4 would disconnect and fail to reconnect, I would simply turn my phone sidewise, with the home button on the left side and ear piece facing the right and sure enough the phone would reconnect without issue.

Sounds like a classic polarisation mismatch.

Sounds like a classic polarisation mismatch.

After loading Merlin's version, it works just fine. Other users with other phones are reporting same issue so I can only assume the new drivers for 5G band are still wonky.

After loading Merlin's version, it works just fine. Other users with other phones are reporting same issue so I can only assume the new drivers for 5G band are still wonky.
That is a strange one indeed. Nice to know you are sorted anyway.

Cheers

DrT

This is one of the issues I remember hearing about (I remember there was another one that affected different Android devices) - this one is specific to the Galaxy S4:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...alaxy-s4-slow-wifi-issues-when-using-aes.html

The issue occurs with different router models (I saw one report that mentionned a DLink router).

I do not recommend applying the suggested workaround (switching to TKIP) as this would greatly reduce the security of your wireless network.

It's quite odd however that the issue would be tied to the encryption mechanism used. I wish I had an affected device here, so I could try just downgrading the encryption library to the older version to see if that was enough to resolve the issue while still using the newer driver.

Out of curiosity, if anyone is also suffering from problems when using 374_257, please try the suggested workaround (switching to TKIP) just to see if by any chance it would be the same issue.

Here is more on the Samsung issues
http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-acknowledges-galaxy-s4-wi-fi-connection-problem-7000015431/

And dlink released a fix firmware for the DIR-655 which I have but don't have an S4.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5e9143ff0ac3e5a58ebad6bd874a89df&topic=54449.0

That article is about Samsung and D-Link, and I have read that since the latest D-Link update, that it has been resolved. Unfortunately for us Asus users, the problem still remains. As I posted earlier, using Merlins latest firmware, the Samsung works just fine so it must be some issue with the new drivers as I believe Merlin is using the older drivers.

This is really a Samsung issue more then an Asus issue and Samsung will have to work with Asus to solve it. Has Samsung tried working with Asus for a solution ?

This is really a Samsung issue more then an Asus issue and Samsung will have to work with Asus to solve it. Has Samsung tried working with Asus for a solution ?

What are you basing your opinion on?

When some intel adapters had problems on 5Ghz .3xx, it was an Asus issue. But if any other wireless adapter has problems on 5Ghz with .3xx, it's not an Asus issue?

Maybe you can enlighten me/him.

I respectfully disagree. Why is it then that my Samsung has no issues while using Merlins firmware based on the older drivers, yet has issues with the newer releases with new drivers? And why is it that in this very same Asus forum other people with HTC phones are reporting the very same issue? D-Link managed to get their firmware right with their last update as well... Seems like enough evidence pointing to it being an Asus issue.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!