What's new

Will this work... new home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattC

New Around Here
Hi all,

Moving into a new house in a few months and want to set up a decent home network. Forgive me if any of this sounds ignorant.

My thoughts have been this:
- modem in basement
- ethernet from modem up to great room (entertainment area with numerous devices that i prefer to have hard wired)
- router in great room (looking at either asus rt-ac68u or ac66u)
- line out from router back to basement where it will connect to switch that fans out ethernet to rest of the house

I've also been told that I should do the modem -> router with wireless dissabled -> switch -> AP (the asus router) upstairs

Would there be any downside to the way I'm thinking of setting it up with the run going up to the router and then back down to the switch? I like the idea of having numerous ports available around the TV without buying another switch.

Your comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with the way you want to do it. Most people suggest having your Router and AP separate as that allows more options for placement and mounting. If your setup works for you I say go for it.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online