What's new

Wireless Access Point vs Router Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You must be as old as I am. Remember bridging SNA or at least that is what we called it. Those were my early days.
SNA -Simple Network Architecture- I remember thinking that to be quite the oxymoron - back when IBM stood for "I've been mislead" : -)

What do your current days look like?

Retired... Playing on this forum.

I do run a layer 3 switch at home. Just for fun.
I'm 70 myself. Work at a car lot part time (for beer money) picking up cars. As they grew they started throwing me at their network problems. (Perhaps they were hoping I'd quit?)

What I remember of the debut of switched ethernet (coming from coax), was me pondering "Send 10MHz serial data on a pair of phone-like copper wires? Are you nuts?

What I remember of the debut of switched ethernet (coming from coax), was me pondering "Send 10MHz serial data on a pair of phone-like copper wires? Are you nuts?
Not being a techie I took it for granted especially since Mac users had been networking (AppleTalk) over twisted pair (the often unused pair in a regular phone line) for years before switched Ethernet : -)

One of the places I worked had hundreds of Macs running over the company's phone lines while the PC/Novell users were still debating Token-Ring versus Ethernet.

Last edited:
I love the fact that there's a few old farts here. :D
Actually, I've been thinking about your user ID

htismage
ht is m age
eighty is my age?​

Tell me I'm wrong young man!

Not being a techie I took it for granted especially since Mac users had been networking (AppleTalk) over twisted pair (the often unused pair in a regular phone line) for years before switched Ethernet

Farallon and PhoneNet - those were the days... nice workaround over Apple's expensive solution...

Not fast by any means, but in the day, it was more than good enough to share printers and dropbox...

it's a Q

htismaQe

It's randomly generated. I've been using it as an Internet/BBS nick since the early 90's. Not really sure why other than the fact that it's guaranteed to be available...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!