What's new

Wireless Adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WilliamP

New Around Here
I am a little confused. I bought a new dual band wireless adapter and connected it to my desk top through a USB cable. It wouldn't recognize it at all. When I plugged it directly into a USB port it was ok. That is on a computer in the grand children's room. On my computer I have a wireless adapter on a USB cable and it works fine. Both are G and N adapters. Why is this?

first guess: a fluke.
Second guess: USB cable's conductors (wire gauge) too small for current, and or the USB port is marginal on current supply. USB spec says 500mA per port but often that's not actually implemented.

I finally found a cable that worked. I wanted to get the adapter out from behind the computer which is kind of between it and the router. Now there is a clear shot to the router.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!