What's new

Wireless Config Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CoffeeCheese

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm trying to determine the best way to configure my network but I'm running into some issues with speed. When I connect my computer directly to the cable modem (SB6141) via Ethernet I can achieve 50mbps down 10mbps up according to speedtest and comcasts tests. I understand there will be some reduction in speed when using wireless but I think my case is a bit out of the norm

I have an Airport express N 1st generation (Draft N)connected to the cable modem. However, when I connect the Airport Express (using a free non occupied channel, wpa2 and default config settings) to the modem and connect wirelessly on my computer (has a wireless n card) the speeds are greatly reduced to 5-7mbps down.

Here is a list of the other devices connected. It's my guess the wireless g and b devices are slowing down the network. Is there anything I can do to improve my speed or would a dual band router be the best course of action? I also have an old airport express G that I can use if possible (don't know if I can somehow route the B & G traffic there).

One observation I made is that Comcast assigns me an IP address beginning with 96.x.x.x when directly connected to the cable modem, however it always assigns me an address beginning with 24.7.57.xxx when hooked up to the router. Does that mean anything? Thanks

iPhone 5 (2.4 n)
iPhone 4s(2.4n)
Apple TV (wireless n)
Ps3 (wireless g)
Roku (wireless b)
Dell laptop wireless n
Dell laptop wireless g

Thank you for the help

Do you mean it assigns the router WAN the 24.x address? It doesn't mean anything.

You don't have to 'route' your wireless G devices to the 2nd AP, just have them join that one instead and leave your N router for N devices.

With that said, I get 25M down on my wireless G devices, so that in and of itself is not slowing you down... though that B device might be, I dunno. Put it on your other AP [or just turn it off] and that will tell you instantly.

Last edited:
Do you mean it assigns the router WAN the 24.x address? It doesn't mean anything.

You don't have to 'route' your wireless G devices to the 2nd AP, just have them join that one instead and leave your N router for N devices.

With that said, I get 25M down on my wireless G devices, so that in and of itself is not slowing you down... though that B device might be, I dunno. Put it on your other AP and that will tell you instantly.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I meant it assigns the router WAN a 24.x address. I will try hooking up the old Airport Express, until now I have only been using the newer Airport Express as my only device.

I edited my original post after you quoted me to add the following....

You can test it by turning off your Roku device. That will tell you if that is dragging your speed down and you can go from there.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!