What's new

Wireless Newbie Here...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rlmslo

New Around Here
Howdy

I don't know if this the right place to put this question, if so, I would appreciate being directed to the right forum.

My wife has her office downstairs; my office, with a Mac Time Machine as the wireless router, is upstairs. Because she was having problems with dropped connections to the wireless router, I hooked up a couple of powerline using products, Netgear XVA101s. They work ok, but she does not like the tethered connection.

So my question is, is it possible to take the ethernet net cable that is currently running from the Netgear access point, and hook it up to another router or wireless repeater, so that she can work wirelessly, without being hooked up to a cable?

Will appreciate any help, but please keep in mind that I know very little about these kinds of hookups, ect. All we need is a decent connection for email, working with photos, general 'net surfing, ect. We do not play games, watch HD movies, or anything like that.

Thanks

rlmslo

Last edited:
Yes. WiFi "Access Points" (AP) are used to improve coverage. An AP is placed somewhat near the poor signal area. It connects by CAT5 cable to a LAN port on the WiFi router, or some ethernet switch in your network- or it can connect to your power line ethernet gizmo's ethernet port.

You can purchase an AP per se, or you can tweak any old WiFi router to behave as an AP. There's a FAQ here on that.

How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!