What's new

Wireless Stability, Range issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crg

New Around Here
I have been trying to get 2 rt-ac66r routers configured and stable for 3 months. I have tried dozens of permutations with respect to channel, frequency etc. I even changed isp's. I still get very spotty performance. I regularly get dropped connections even when I am 30 feet away. Performance/raw throughput is also not acceptable. Currently I have one of these routers in my office and another operating in repeater mode half way across the house. Perf is horrible everywhere as I said. I have checked channel interference and changed that a few times. Did I maybe just get a bad one? From what I have read these are supposed to be awesome routers. Unfortunately I do not have the option of running Ethernet to another location and hard wiring the other router. Besides I do not think that will help all that much in this case because the distance does not appear to be the issue. I get spotty connectivity when i am only a short distance away. I have looked into other vendors but would prefer not to have to ditch these as i put some good money into them. If that is the best way then what would be a good one(s) to get. Ubiquiti is appealing..Thoughts?

Which firmware are you using?

I'm currently using an AC66U at the office with the latest 374.43 fork. Tweaks include 300mW output, region unlocking and a higher channel set on the 5GHz band (100 DFS).

It's been rock solid for a few months now and has excellent throughput with 40+ total wireless clients on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

Firmware

I am using 3.0.0.4.376_1123 but its not merlin its just stock. Should i just flash it for merlin?

Definitely. I'd recommend you give the Merlin fork a try first, the wireless drivers in it are great.

I have been trying to get 2 rt-ac66r routers configured and stable for 3 months. I have tried dozens of permutations with respect to channel, frequency etc. I even changed isp's. I still get very spotty performance. I regularly get dropped connections even when I am 30 feet away. Performance/raw throughput is also not acceptable. Currently I have one of these routers in my office and another operating in repeater mode half way across the house. Perf is horrible everywhere as I said. I have checked channel interference and changed that a few times. Did I maybe just get a bad one? From what I have read these are supposed to be awesome routers. Unfortunately I do not have the option of running Ethernet to another location and hard wiring the other router. Besides I do not think that will help all that much in this case because the distance does not appear to be the issue. I get spotty connectivity when i am only a short distance away. I have looked into other vendors but would prefer not to have to ditch these as i put some good money into them. If that is the best way then what would be a good one(s) to get. Ubiquiti is appealing..Thoughts?
Just get a good 11n router. Under $100. The heck with ac.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!