What's new

12V ASUS router with the longest 2.4GHz WiFi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

Do you guys know a wifi router that has better 2.4GHz wifi range than the AX4200Q (with Smart Connect enabled)?

I'm asking because with some of my 'smart' devices a mesh netework doesn't really work well, and the smart devices only support 2.4GHz band...

Any 4x4:4 will be better.

RT-AX88U Pro, for example.

Probably not. It just has 3x3:3 antennae for the 2.4GHz Band.

RT-AX88U Pro.

Any 4x4:4 will be better.

RT-AX88U Pro, for example.

Do you mean like: "2.4GHz 4x4" ?
Is this the defining factor for the long 2.4GHz wifi ranges?

Isn't the number of antenna improtant? For example AXE7800 with 6 antenna but "2.4GHz 2x2"

Can't help with whats best as i don't know but i have smart sockets at the bottom of my garden which only run 2.4Ghz. To enable the connection i had to turn off the 5Ghz wifi briefly and so it wasn't confused by the signals. It then connected ok. I turned back on the 5Ghz and its been perfect since. I run 2 Asus RT-AC86U'S in a mesh setup. On merlin firmware.

@nishadrox don't start multiple threads on the same discussions, it only confuses everyone and splits the conversation.

Threads were merged.

I guessed wrong.

The AX4200 you have only has 3x3:3 for 5GHz. For 2.4GHz, it is worse: 2x2:2.

I guessed wrong.

The AX4200 you have only has 3x3:3 for 5GHz. For 2.4GHz, it is worse: 2x2:2.

Oh I see.
So higher the NxN vaue the longer the range?
The number of antenna doesn't matter?

The number of antennae is the NxN, and the :N is the number of streams (no, they don't always match). They all matter.

The number of antennae is the NxN, and the :N is the number of streams (no, they don't always match). They all matter.

Thanks for the clairification!

So I guess AX88U Pro's 2.4GHz range is even better than AX86U Pro's, right?

Yes, overall a much better, better balanced, and superior purchase.

As for the absolute range, your environment will still determine that in the end.

Yes, overall a much better, better balanced, and superior purchase.

As for the absolute range, your environment will still determine that in the end.

Thanks!

AX88U Pro will support older 2.4GHz / WiFi 4/5 devices as well right?

I'm asking because of what is shown on the following screenshot:
1712648812971.png

All WiFi routers still being sold today are (almost) backward compatible with the original iteration first released in 1971. That is what WiFi is based on, after all. Compatibility.

That screenshot doesn't show anything relevant to being compatible, btw.

All WiFi routers still being sold today are (almost) backward compatible with the original iteration first released in 1971. That is what WiFi is based on, after all. Compatibility.

That screenshot doesn't show anything relevant to being compatible, btw.
Great, thanks!

What do y'all think about TUF-AX6000 compared to AX88U PRO?

Would it be better for 2.4GHz range because of the 6 antennae? Both routers are 4x4 for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

The TUF series is not a good choice. Particularly when the RT-AX88U Pro is already a proven model.

6 antennae? Is there any wire inside two of them? Or, does the TUF model use two for dedicated 2.4GHz (or 5GHz), while the other four are shared?

The TUF series is not a good choice. Particularly when the RT-AX88U Pro is already a proven model.

6 antennae? Is there any wire inside two of them? Or, does the TUF model use two for dedicated 2.4GHz (or 5GHz), while the other four are shared?

No idea 😬

It says
2.4GHz 4x4
5GHz 4x4
on the spec page similar to AX88U Pro spec.

If it had 8 (or 12) antennae, it could make real use of them. I don't know what benefits 6 antennae may offer to a 4x4:4 router on each of its bands, if there really are 6 antennae, of course.

If it had 8 (or 12) antennae, it could make real use of them. I don't know what benefits 6 antennae may offer to a 4x4:4 router on each of its bands, if there really are 6 antennae, of course.

Thanks a lot for your support!