What's new

BQ16 Pro Quad Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

junn0

Occasional Visitor
We now have a mesh Wifi 7 router coming from asus. This one has USB support so hoping for meriln support.

How hard is for Asus to include 1 10G SFP+ Ethernet combo port for WAN? We could ditch out ONUs and use just a single device with GPON SFP ONUs.

Those look awesome! Would have been great to make them wall mountable, at least they are white, more wife-friendly.

Last edited:
These look like trash cans.

I would find it hard to imagine these getting RMerlin support.

I disagree. I think they look better than the XT12/ET12, my only concern is for mesh nodes, they seem to be very bulky (being wide enough to have a row of 5 Ethernet ports). While OK for a primary router, it makes placement of the second node more difficult.

My personal favorite design still remains the Lyra Trio.

I had to google the Lyra Trio - good one - looks like form with function.

Glad we're starting some chatter about the coming BQ16. I've been testing the Deco BE85 and it's the best wireless router I've ever used. Speed and consistency in my house have never been better. I look forward to the ASUS version of all this new technology. I'm hoping for a home run (with Merlin support)!

Last edited:

I would find it hard to imagine these getting RMerlin support.
You are right, the perspective of the pics is challenging. No reference. I assumed they are like 8x6x4 or so. If they are indeed 30 x 12 x 10, then yes I'll get in trouble with my wife too.

I've been testing the Deco BE85 and it's the best router I've ever used.

This Deco is Qualcomm hardware and you may not want to trade it for Broadcom. If it provides excellent Wi-Fi - run it in AP mode with the router you like.

On the tech spec sheet, the USB port is listed as a 3.1 Gen. 1, but the image shows a USB 3.2 port on the back.
ASUS BQ-16 Specs.png

ASUS BQ-16 Back Panel.png

Probably a typo on the spec sheet.
And what's up with just one USB port on a router system that will cost more than $1000

USB 3.2 should be able to support multiple devices with an external, powered, multiple-port hub.

Here's hoping they also include an RJ-11 fax port!

How hard is for Asus to include 1 10G SFP+ Ethernet combo port for WAN? We could ditch out ONUs and use just a single device with GPON SFP ONUs.
Well, TP LINK BE800 does!!

In fact it has 1 10gb and 1 10gb+SFP

But... It's a TP-Link. :oops:

This Deco is Qualcomm hardware and you may not want to trade it for Broadcom. If it provides excellent Wi-Fi - run it in AP mode with the router you like.
Does this mean Qualcomm chipsets > Broadcom chipsets and if so, why is Asus sticking with the latter? Even if AsusWRT is optimized for Broadcom hardware, they did get the Qualcomm-powered RT-AX89X working pretty well in the end after some major hiccups. (mine still works fine particularly with 10Gbps fibre broadband).

So much that when that router launched in mainland China (before the rest of the world), it provided a benchmark that seemingly 'inspired' PRC companies like TP-Link and Xiaomi to follow the same Qualcomm hardware route and 10G-Base-T with SFP+ port configuration for their flagship Wifi 6 , 6E and 7 routers that's uncannily similar to the RT-AX89X's.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!