What's new

GT-AX6000: USB Drive size limitation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just wanted to wrap things up on my part after successfully achieving USB storage from the entry-level RT-AX1800U! I followed your advice and formatted the drive in NTFS using software for Mac (NTFS for Mac). The partition is 2.8TB and everything works like a charm. If anyone has any problems with formatting on Mac, don't hesitate to write in here as it sure was a struggle :D
Thank you all for the help!
Have a nice week.

- The only thing I am left wondering now is: Whether it is possible to make this USB-storage able to move files to. I can't move, delete, or upload things to the server. Within the Asus router settings I have allowed R/W, so I am left wondering what that really means.

Whether it is possible to make this USB-storage able to move files to. I can't move, delete, or upload things to the server. Within the Asus router settings I have allowed R/W, so I am left wondering what that really means.
You should be able to move or copy files to and from the USB drive attached to the router provided you have properly configured that drive for read/write (r/w) access and you have properly connected the computer to that router. If your Mac is having issues first step is to reboot that Mac. Next ensure you connect the Mac to the router's USB drive using SMB and not AFP. Double check that the folder/share that you have configured within the router's GUI > USB Application > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk section is configured for read/write access. Make sure to "apply" those settings using the Apply button.

You should be able to move or copy files to and from the USB drive attached to the router provided you have properly configured that drive for read/write (r/w) access and you have properly connected the computer to that router. If your Mac is having issues first step is to reboot that Mac. Next ensure you connect the Mac to the router's USB drive using SMB and not AFP. Double check that the folder/share that you have configured within the router's GUI > USB Application > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk section is configured for read/write access. Make sure to "apply" those settings using the Apply button.
Thank you for the reply :)
I have used FTP so far, which to my newfound knowledge, does not support data transfers both ways. When attempting to connect to SMB it does not find the server, however. I am using the WAN-ip which I used for FTP. Is there another address I should use?

I am using the WAN-ip which I used for FTP. Is there another address I should use?
Why are you using the WAN IP? Are you trying to access the router, using FTP, from OUTSIDE the local network?

For local FTP network access to the router's hard drive one would use the router's local network IP address and use the FTP port, usually port 21. If you cannot upload/download files using FTP that indicates a configuration issue either on the router or with the FTP software. Check the FTP settings on the router to ensure you have assigned proper permissions (read/write) for the user logging in using FTP.

To use the Samba (SMB) you have to enable the feature in the router and configure the various settings and permissions to access the USB attached hard drive using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder.

See the following Asus guides for general steps to using FTP and or Samba on the local network:
[Wireless Router] How to set up Servers Center - FTP Share
[Wireless Router] How to set up Media Services and Servers- Network Place (Samba) Share/ Cloud Disk?

Why are you using the WAN IP? Are you trying to access the router, using FTP, from OUTSIDE the local network?

For local FTP network access to the router's hard drive one would use the router's local network IP address and use the FTP port, usually port 21. If you cannot upload/download files using FTP that indicates a configuration issue either on the router or with the FTP software. Check the FTP settings on the router to ensure you have assigned proper permissions (read/write) for the user logging in using FTP.

To use the Samba (SMB) you have to enable the feature in the router and configure the various settings and permissions to access the USB attached hard drive using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder.

See the following Asus guides for general steps to using FTP and or Samba on the local network:
[Wireless Router] How to set up Servers Center - FTP Share
[Wireless Router] How to set up Media Services and Servers- Network Place (Samba) Share/ Cloud Disk?
I think I was just messing around with different IP's to see how I could connect to it. I have enabled SMB and given the rights but it wasn't enough. I tried disabling FTP to see if it intervened in any ways, and suddenly the drive was visible as a network drive. I can now use all features R/W and its working like a charm. Thank you for the feedback!

I can now use all features R/W and its working like a charm.

What R/W speeds to external USB storage this little router is capable of?

I believe it's built around MediaTek MT7621 like the similar RT-AX53U model.

What R/W speeds to external USB storage this little router is capable of?

I believe it's built around MediaTek MT7621 like the similar RT-AX53U model.
I will test it as soon as it is done transferring everything from the old partition. For some reason that takes ages despite it being an SSD. Estimated 17 hours for 800GB :p

For some reason that takes ages despite it being an SSD

The drive's own capabilities don't matter. Your router's hardware is the limitation.

Sorry, let me clarify. I have not connected the hard drive to the router for transferring. The drive is connected to my PC and I'm merely transferring between the two partitions.
It will be done later today and I will make a test and post the specs!

Still, that's only then 26MB/s total throughput which is indicative of USB-2 performance. Surely you have USB-3 abailable on your PC...

Is that solid?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 15.17.03.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 15.17.03.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 25
Router? Given the hardware - expected.

If the drive is properly seen and mounted and one is using Asus-Merlin firmware then one can decide if they want to reformat the drive using EXT4 via AMTM.
The current (both branches) of Asus firmware for this router have "fdisk" symlinked to busybox and
Code:
/usr/sbin/mkntfs
/usr/sbin/mkfs.ubifs
/usr/sbin/mkfs.ext3
/usr/sbin/mkfs.ext2
/usr/sbin/mkfatfs
/usr/sbin/mke2fs
/sbin/mkswap
same as the current Merlin firmware. Don't have a clue about needing AMTM for such a task as laying out and formatting partition(s), or whether/if it would even be helpful. Totally uneducated guess on my part as I don't believe I've ever even fired it up.

Is that solid?
I'd say "no", not even for USB2, though it may be better performance than I could get out of my ancient 386-25 SX, if I could find and outfit it with USB. It worked admirably for years headless in the closet keeping me dialed-up and NATing, DHCPing, caching DNS, squid cache, and I forget all what else. I think one time I fell just a few days shy of 3 years uptime. Extended power outage...

Come to think of it, I ran 4MB RAM though the board could handle 8. Thing of it is, anything beyond 4 was uncached, and kernel compile times of 8 hours @ 4MB, to 40 hours (same kernel config) @ 8 MB. Crazy, ain't it?

Last edited:
I ran multiple test with Plex media server and Apple TV. Smooth play of Dune in 4k (compressed to 1080p) estimated at 38Mbps. Not sure how that is possible though? When the stats are less than 20 Mbps. Definetely happy about this setup and not spending more money on a prober NAS system. This was a cheap solution!

I'd say "no", not even for USB2, though it may be better performance than I could get out of my ancient 386-25 SX, if I could find and outfit it with USB. It worked admirably for years headless in the closet keeping me dialed-up and NATing, DHCPing, caching DNS, squid cache, and I forget all what else. I think one time I fell just a few days shy of 3 years uptime. Extended power outage...

Come to think of it, I ran 4MB RAM though the board could handle 8. Thing of it is, anything beyond 4 was uncached, and kernel compile times of 8 hours @ 4MB, to 40 hours (same kernel config) @ 8 MB. Crazy, ain't it?
Crazy indeed :D gives me hope for my entry-level AX1800U. What system are you running now?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!