What's new

If you were going to buy a router right now...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DL12345

New Around Here
Which would you buy..

I currently have a Linksys e4200 v1 that is just an N router, have an AC laptop on order, and I want the faster AC speeds locally. I don't want to have to regularly reboot the router if I can help it.

Range/Reliability/speed are what matter to me, also I need port Forwarding.

Looking though Netgear R7000 looks to be best currently.. but without flipping back through all the other reviews, is that what you guys would pick up? I had thought about this Linksys, but the results look underwhelming to me.

What class adapter does the laptop support?

AC1200 is the best price/performance value right now. I would not buy any of the AC1900 products. You are paying a premium price for little real benefit.

It is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 on a Dell XPS 15.
TX/RX Streams 2x2
Bands 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
Max Speed 300/867 Mbps
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED* 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n
Compliance PCI, CISP, FIPS, FISMA
Integrated Bluetooth Yes
System Interface Type PCIe/ USB

Link here if you need more.. can't imagine you would.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75439/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-7260

I actually don't even care that much on price (okay a little bit) if it was a better range/speed, even a little bit, I would gladly pay it. Not having to reset it would also be priceless (less wife aggro).

There is also a chance that if that doesn't work out, I will just pick up a Macbook Retina, which is notoriously difficult for me to find which wireless chip it actually uses. Think I read some where it was an Atheros. But would have to look at that.

At home I am usually wired Gigabit, and access the server a lot. Probably do away with my main machine once the laptop comes in.

AC1200 class adapter.

You'll get most benefit from AC1200. Perhaps a bit more range/speed from AC1750, depending on the router.

I just wouldn't spend the big bucks right now and certainly not for AC1900.

Ah yeah, thanks. I was looking for that. Had gotten off in the weeds a bit, was going to head to that tear down soon, but a google search had gotten me down a different path.

I installed the same Intel client 7260AC in my laptop (2012 Sony). I can tell you that the Intel drivers for Windows 7 are not very good (read the Intel forums), but it was the same with the Intel 6235 that was installed originally. In comparison, my 2012 MBP (non retina), that is located further away from the router, never lost connection.
I'm also debating getting the 2013 rMBP now. If I were you, I would get AC1600 router or higher, just in case you get the rMBP. I managed to get the Asus RT-AC66U for $120, and I can tell that the reception is better than the Netgear R6250 that I returned to the store. However, if you're paying a regular price, you might as well get the R7000, since the difference in price between that and something like the D-Link DIR-868L is only $30, and at least according to SNB the R7000 trumps everything else.

I do like the 1GHz dual core on the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900.

It is $55 more than the Asus N900 which has a 600Mhz dual core.

Based on my experience, faster CPU gives better user experience. More RAM can't hurt either.

I would go with the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900

Last edited:
Which would you buy..

I currently have a Linksys e4200 v1 that is just an N router, have an AC laptop on order, and I want the faster AC speeds locally. I don't want to have to regularly reboot the router if I can help it.

Range/Reliability/speed are what matter to me, also I need port Forwarding.

Looking though Netgear R7000 looks to be best currently.. but without flipping back through all the other reviews, is that what you guys would pick up? I had thought about this Linksys, but the results look underwhelming to me.
cradle point mbr1200 or another of their line.