What's new

Is Asus RT AX3000 v2 going to receive a firmware update?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Router_Phantom

New Around Here
The Asus rt ax-3000 (v2) is still on firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23925.

Asus's website shows that the router is not EOL but the last update that came out was on 2023/09/27.

Will the Asus rt ax-3000 (v2) receive a firmware update that patches the "themoon" malware?

Will the Asus rt ax-3000 (v2) receive a firmware update that patches the "themoon" malware?
Asus generally does not reply (or possibly even monitor) this website. As such all anyone can do is speculate. If the router is not EOL then the odds of it possibly getting new firmware is pretty high. When will it get the new firmware is the real question to which there is no concrete answer. All one can really do is be patient and monitor their router's firmware page to see when new firmware drops. Or monitor the other subforum on ASUSWRT Official where new firmware announcements is typically posted.

Asus generally does not reply (or possibly even monitor) this website. As such all anyone can do is speculate. If the router is not EOL then the odds of it possibly getting new firmware is pretty high. When will it get the new firmware is the real question to which there is no concrete answer. All one can really do is be patient and monitor their router's firmware page to see when new firmware drops. Or monitor the other subforum on ASUSWRT Official where new firmware announcements is typically posted.

Thank you.

Is the only way to know if your specific router is vulnerable to this botnet is by checking the EOL page on the asus website?

Is the only way to know if your specific router is vulnerable to this botnet is by checking the EOL page on the asus website?
No. If the router is not on the EOL list then keep an eye on the router's firmware page to see what changes are made to the firmware and if that change/update includes fixing security vulnerability you are concerned about. Also keep an eye on the Asus product security advisory page which occasionally lists security vulnerabilities and their patches/workarounds:

No. If the router is not on the EOL list then keep an eye on the router's firmware page to see what changes are made to the firmware and if that change/update includes fixing security vulnerability you are concerned about. Also keep an eye on the Asus product security advisory page which occasionally lists security vulnerabilities and their patches/workarounds:
Thank you.

The Asus rt ax-3000 (v2) is still on firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23925.

Asus's website shows that the router is not EOL but the last update that came out was on 2023/09/27.

If you really want latest firmware, then AsusWrt Merlin GNUton's builds
P.S. Asus RT AX-3000 v2 has latest official firmware Version 3.0.0.4.388_23785 @ 2023/08/15

I'm now looking for a replacement router

RT-AX58U V2 is possible upgrade option for you, but try to update your RT-AC68U manually first. You can continue using it for some time if good enough for your needs.

RT-AX58U V2 is possible upgrade option for you, but try to update your RT-AC68U manually first. You can continue using it for some time if good enough for your needs.
I ended up ordering an RT-AX5400 as they're currently on sale at Amazon for $129.99 USD.

I tried updating again via the RT-AC68U's web UI earlier today and it again went thru the motions but in the end, the update didn't "take". I ended up downloading the firmware file for 3.0.0.4.386_51685 and uploading it to the router. That worked and I'm up to date now.

I ended up ordering an RT-AX5400

Not bad, this basically is the same router as RT-AX82U without the gaming marketing and RGB lights.

Downloading firmware file and uploading it manually is the upgrade process most people around regularly use. Keep your old router as a backup. 👍

Not bad, this basically is the same router as RT-AX82U without the gaming marketing and RGB lights.

Downloading firmware file and uploading it manually is the upgrade process most people around regularly use. Keep your old router as a backup. 👍
Hmm... that's a little bit troubling then (in terms of possible support length).

From https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ax82u/helpdesk_bios?model2Name=RT-AX82U, there is this:
"ASUS RT-AX82U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.9261
2020/05/22
Initial release"

Crossing my fingers that the RT-AX5400 is supported for at least another 5 or 6 years. That was my dad's metric when he emailed me earlier today and we talked over the phone. He's TERRIBLE with tech (I am tech support for my parents) and ordered one too, to replace his RT-AC68U.

But yeah, my dad and I don't care about the gaming marketing and fancy lights.

It came much later, I believe in 2023. Must have 3-4 years support from release. Not sure about 5-6 years, perhaps no new router will get that.

Asus marketing likes to create different models based on the same hardware. There are 7-8 different ones around RT-AX58U hardware.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!