What's new

rt-ac5300 and 88u throughput strangeness

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pete y testing

Very Senior Member
hi guys

i have a doozy of an issue here i cant for the life of me get my head around

the first image below is reading from ds-415+ connected to the 88u by ethernet ( non bonded ) , comp is connected with an asus pce-ac68 3 x 3 adapter

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=7D5C...1A0742!972&parId=7D5CB240BE1A0742!969&o=OneUp

the second is writing

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=7D5C...1A0742!971&parId=7D5CB240BE1A0742!969&o=OneUp

now my head tells me this shouldnt be possible with a 3 x 3 client yet i can replicate this result on both routers if i follow a certain path when connecting

108MB/s read and 74.4MB/s write is more what i would expect from 4 x 4

so how to explain this aberration

for what its worth im also getting 2.4 gig throughput of almost 40 MB/s read as well

Last edited:
Reads are always a little bit faster than writes...

The read rates are a bit high, but not exceptionally high... the writes, well, lots of things at play there...

Wonder is it's just Windows and how it's calculating thru-put - have you put a stopwatch on things and work it back?

Wonder is it's just Windows and how it's calculating thru-put
thats what i thought but when timed the figures work out and if it where just windows wouldnt the networx reading be different

have you put a stopwatch on things and work it back?
yup the figures add up and thats what has me stumped

it is however almost double what i would expect for a 3 x 3 client in MB/s , its windows 10 btw

figures

1.945 gig vid file takes just on 20 seconds so 1945MB /20 = 95 MB/s if im not wrong in my thinking

Last edited:
How much ram on your system and what os are you running?

Try a reboot and see if the os was caching the file for you.

How much ram on your system and what os are you running?
8 gig ram
and what os are you running?
windows 10 pro 64 bit

Try a reboot and see if the os was caching the file for you.
restarted many times and the same result , restarted nas and router too

1.945 gig vid file takes just on 20 seconds so 1945MB /20 = 95 MB/s if im not wrong in my thinking
and this is the part thas really confusing , im pretty sure its reporting right , if i dont start a certain way it only reports 50MB/s , eg if i connect to 2.4 gig and transfer then switch to 5 gig and transfer it almost always report the above figures , but if i just connect to 5 gig first its limited to about 50MB/s

im stumped at this stage as i always use this comp for my testing and its never done this before but then again it was win 8 pro until a few weeks ago , might try uninstalling the ac68 drivers and reinstalling and see if it helps

and this is the part thas really confusing , im pretty sure its reporting right , if i dont start a certain way it only reports 50MB/s , eg if i connect to 2.4 gig and transfer then switch to 5 gig and transfer it almost always report the above figures , but if i just connect to 5 gig first its limited to about 50MB/s

That is the definition of caching. ;)

When you transfer on the 2.4GHz WiFi and then switch to the 5GHz, it has already been cached.

And yes, try to copy a bigger file, something like 20-30 GB.
Your results are really interesting.

and here is something interesting as well

the synology NAS resource meter is reporting the same speed , doesnt that mean the traffic is moving at 100MB/s and not just a cache issue although i cant see it being anything but a cache issue

i cant see it being anything but a cache issue
95-97 MB/s results were reported several times for 3x3:3 before.
But 108 MB/s is a little more then expected even in ideal conditions.
That's why your results are interesting :)

BTW, what driver version are you using for PCE-AC68?

Ok, I have something to add.
There was a report about 73-75 MB/s throughput with BCM94352HMB (it's 2x2 card) and Linksys EA6500v2 router.
And now there's a report about the same speed with BCM94352HMB and RT-AC88U from another user.
So your results with 3x3 PCE-AC68 now seem to be not so fantastic.
My congratulations :)

Looks like Asus has managed to produce a really good router an adapter.

Looks like Asus has managed to produce a really good router an adapter.

i did some testing with a new test file i havnt used before and was getting 87 MB/s average throughput for the life of the transfer , average throughput rather than max throughput and the synology resourse meter was reporting the same

what i need is a really big test file , is there somewhere i can download a 40 gig file to test with

Hey Pete - quick method for creating unique test files to avoid caching -- needs a linux install (VM or Metal), but here's a quick tip... can make the files as big as you want/need, and with this, you can pipe the output directly to a network socket if you wish, or output it to wherever...

Just make sure you have enough space for the file, as the command will execute - if you have 80MB free, and create a 100MB file, it will create a 100MB file...

Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=1MB bs=1024 count=1024
dd if=/dev/urandom of=2MB bs=1024 count=2000
dd if=/dev/urandom of=5MB bs=1024 count=5000
dd if=/dev/urandom of=10MB bs=1024 count=10000
dd if=/dev/urandom of=100mb bs=1024 count=100000

thanks sfx will have a look at it but its easy to find new big files as i have thousands of blu ray movies with 30gigish files that i can upload to the nas from another pc

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!