What's new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had lots of restarts during the first day, but after I took a factory reset on the device it seemed more stable. But I'm still have devices that have a connection but suddenly doesn't seem to get their dns lookups through.

At the moment I'm clearing nvram, do a power cycle each upgrade and after that I configure the router again without restoring settings...

I don't have problems with DNS although it sometimes takes a few minutes before IPv6 is actually working... I also disable the automatic lookup for DNS servers and set them by hand on WAN (IPv4) and IPv6

Don't rely on the link speed, it doesn't reflect reality as it will vary based on power management and other factors. Do an actual file transfer to compare the real throughput. Also use a fixed channel instead of leaving it on Auto.

None of this makes a difference. The link rate does actually reflect data transfer rate, in my case, and the link rate on 5 Ghz drops over time with a USB-AC53. Setting a fixed channel does not make a difference. I'm now starting to wonder whether my RT-AC66U isn't defective, but if it is, then a number of other people's routers are also defective.

The only temporary solution is either turning the router on and off (or hitting "apply" on the wireless setting page).

question for all of you: did anyone notice the 5ghz band "speed" drop after a little while being on?

Yes, and we're not the only ones

Last edited:
None of this makes a difference. The link rate does actually reflect data transfer rate, in my case, and the link rate on 5 Ghz drops over time with a USB-AC53. Setting a fixed channel does not make a difference. I'm now starting to wonder whether my RT-AC66U isn't defective, but if it is, then a number of other people's routers are also defective.

The only temporary solution is either turning the router on and off (or hitting "apply" on the wireless setting page).

Yes, and we're not the only ones

I have the same experience with the link speed however when copying large files I've noticed that the link speed is returning to its max. Sometimes it could take 15 minutes. My link speed is mostly 175.5 and the max is 866.5 mbps. My data transfer differs between 15 and 31 mbytes/sec. and the max data transfer is also reached when my connection says it's link speed is 175.5

Note: that the variety of data transfer speed is more related to the way I test than the 5GHz data connection as wifi analyzers indicate that I'm the only one in my surroundings using it and the signal quality doesn't drop.

Last edited:
I have the same experience with the link speed however when copying large files I've noticed that the link speed is returning to its max.
Sometimes it could take 15 minutes. . . .

Are you able to reach max data transfer rate pretty quickly? Or do you also have to wait 15 minutes?

My link speed is mostly 175.5 and the max is 866.5 mbps. My data transfer differs between 15 and 31 mbytes/sec. and the max data transfer is also reached when my connection says it's link speed is 175.5

If your max data transfer rate over a network is 31 megabytes/second, that's a bit slow (unless your bottleneck is a hard drive) and translates to 248 Mbps. That's certainly a far cry from a max link rate of 866.5 Mbps. But if you're hitting max data rate very quickly despite the link rate stating 175.5 Mbps, then that's probably fine for you. And, in that case, the listed link rate is meaningless.

But, for me, the link rate appears to truly indicate max data transfer rate until I reset the router. I'll test again after link rate drops.

Last edited:
I didn't notice changes in the data transfer speed (actual speed) ... But noticed that the linkspeed indication of my network status in Windows 7 went up after a while...

I didn't notice changes in the data transfer speed (actual speed) ... But noticed that the linkspeed indication of my network status in Windows 7 went up after a while...

Alright, thanks. I'll test again after the link rate drops.

If your max data transfer rate over a network is 31 megabytes/second, that's a bit slow (unless your bottleneck is a hard drive) and translates to 248 Mbps. That's certainly a far cry from a max link rate of 866.5 Mbps.

You will never get anywhere close to 866 Mbps. Even a 300 Mbits link will give you about 120-140 Mbits of real throughput. That's why the link rate is half-meaningless.

Remember, 31MB/s is probably around the max throughput of a wireless usb 2.0 adapter.

Has anybody had a chance to test a usb 3.0 one?

After 1,5 day the router restarted it self:/

Edit:
Going to test without hardware acceleration again to be sure that is stable.

Running for 3 days now with hw acceleration disabled and Native IPv6 with DHCP-PD. So the choice for me is IPv6 or hw acceleration. My internet connection will never reach 150Mbps so I'll leave hw acceleration off for now and test it again in later firmwares with hw acceleration enabled.

Do you guys think I can rule out hardware failure also?

Summary (in Router Mode):
.270 + HW Acc. Enabled + IPv6 DHCP-PD = stable
.374_130 + HW Acc. Enabled + IPv6 DHCP-PD = instable (restarts occur)
.374_130 + HW Acc. Disabled + IPv6 DHCP-PD = stable
.374_130 + HW Acc. Enabled + IPv6 Disabled = stable

Last edited:
Remember, 31MB/s is probably around the max throughput of a wireless usb 2.0 adapter.

Edit: I mistakenly thought FLA NL was using PCE-AC66, but I should have realized otherwise when 866.5 max link rate was mentioned (should be higher with a PCE-AC66). Or maybe I was reading a PCE-AC66 thread and confused FLA NL with someone else. PCI-E is, of course, faster, and with a PCE-AC66 I would expect real world data transfer rates of at least 45 MB/s (360 Mbps) without any hassles.

Last edited:
Edit: I mistakenly thought FLA NL was using PCE-AC66, but I should have realized otherwise when 866.5 max link rate was mentioned (should be higher with a PCE-AC66).

FYI: I'm using the Netgear A6200 WiFi USB Adapter.

ok about the speed drop i mentioned earlier, it did just go back down and i tested the speed, my laptop (N 300 mbps) is 2 megaBYTES per second slower and my desktop (pce-ac66) is ~25 megaBYTES per second slower. I rebooted it and now its back to regular speeds. i dont know why it's doing this. kind of annoying because i use my desktop for games and it is my music/movie server. any ideas guys?

EDIT: i checked, i get a 10 db difference (via inssider) from when it "diminishes" power to when i reboot it and its at "full power"

Last edited:
I don't have any screencaps of how the earlier FW were doing. I have a PCE AC66 and Synology DS212+ with 1tb blacks in it. On one of the older FW, not sure which one, I was able to get ~75mbps (link rate 877mbps). On 372, I get around 15mbps with a link rate of 702Mbps. Big difference. I am using CrystalDisk to check out the speeds.

I have the same experience with the link speed however when copying large files I've noticed that the link speed is returning to its max.

Note: that the variety of data transfer speed is more related to the way I test than the 5GHz data connection as wifi analyzers indicate that I'm the only one in my surroundings using it and the signal quality doesn't drop.

When your 5Ghz link rate drops to 175.5, does your signal strength also drop?

Mine does.

And I'm now seeing this on two different RT-AC66Us at factory defaults using 3.0.0.4.374.130

When your link speed returns to max does the signal strength increase as well?

When your 5Ghz link rate drops to 175.5, does your signal strength also drop?

I didn't notice it yet. But the uptime has never been over a week because of flashing firmware or experimenting with ipv6. Must say, that the latest firmwares (.130 asus and .32 merlins) seem to be more stable in my situation with wireless connections. My signal varies between 90 and 95% but didn't notice a difference in signal drops when having a uptime of several days and cannot relate it to the link speed yet. I'm now at 91% with a link speed of 866,5 and I'm quite sure that I had 175,5 with more signal. Another thing is that with the .26b merlin firmware my max signal was 97%.

offtopic:
I've now decided that I turn of IPv6 because my phone doesn't seem to be handle it very well.

. My signal varies between 90 and 95% but didn't notice a difference in signal drops when having a uptime of several days and cannot relate it to the link speed yet.

Please check your signal strength now (dbm).

The next time 5ghz data rate/link rate hits 175.5, please check your signal strength again.

Please check your signal strength now (dbm).

The next time 5ghz data rate/link rate hits 175.5, please check your signal strength again.

I'm now at -38dBm and 866,5 link speed. I will keep you up to date but that will be probably this evening (CET) or saturday.

Edit:
5.5 hours later it's -37/-38 dBm with a link speed of 175.5, so in this case I don't see a relation.

I will check it again Saturday if the signal is dropped.

Edit2:
It's now Saturday and the 5GHz has -37 dBm with a link speed of 175.5 (uptime: 1 days 19 hours 58 minutes 40 seconds)

btw to be clear I'm now using the 3.0.0.4.374.32 merlin build

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!