What's new

300 Ft Commercial Property

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eugenef

New Around Here
Hi I have been trying to read all the reviews and just not sure what to do. I work in a commercial area that is pretty scarce property and I have my home next to my office that is over 300 ft away that I need to share the internet with.

I want to get a wireless router - I would be getting a cable model with a 25mb connection speed. Both properties are pretty well insulated and very little windows between the two properties. Any ideas? I'm not really a fan of Linksys because of some of the security problems I read about but besides that I am open to suggestions. My budget is not huge but I need to get a relatively consistent throughput. Also both computers are pretty old - least 5 years old. What do you guys think??

If, from building #1's roof eaves or chimney, you can get unobstructed view of a like kind point on the building #2, then pair of $80ea outdoor bridges will do what you want. One connects to the router and the other connects to an ethernet switch to several PCs in that location. If WiFi is desired in building #2, connect a low cost WiFi access point (or a re-purposed WiFi router emulating an access point), to the switch. Pretty easy.

Here's a vendor I've used. There are others.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&Description=engenius+outdoor+bridge&x=0&y=0

Get one with the integral directional antenna. If you want to spend a bit more, get the 5.8GHz bridges to lessen vulnerability to an overcrowded 2.4GHz band in urban areas.

I always prefer wired solution over a wireless, however, that being said, I would look into using a 5GHz Ubiqiquiti Nanostation for LOS links. They are a little more than the 2.4GHz, however in all likeliness you will have less interference.

What do I need?

So If I buy 2 of these: 5GHz Ubiqiquiti Nanostation

What else do I need? I have a regular wired cable modem. How do I get these nanostations to work and where do you mount them? What is the security like on them?

So If I buy 2 of these: 5GHz Ubiqiquiti Nanostation

What else do I need? I have a regular wired cable modem. How do I get these nanostations to work and where do you mount them? What is the security like on them?

Read up on them from the company site and contact them more about it's features but the data sheet you can download or view through any browser setup to view PDF.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanostationm

To me range seem shorten though.. Also you need to plan what you want to do and cost effectiveness of your project. If you have WiFi in place now you can download free wifi planning software or wifi site survey to see where you need to mount external WNAP = WiFi Network Access Points in your working area or surrounding area.

Ubiquiti Ultra-Long Range WiFi Router PowerAPN

Are there any security flaws with this router? Also is it pretty easy to setup? I just need to be able to send a signal 300 ft - was going to mount it pretty high in the commercial building - what do you guys think??

Howdy,

Look in the yellow pages and have someone do it for you.

You will need some type of DHCP server, so that means a type of router after the cable modem unless it has one built in. You will need some cat5e cable, you will need a power plug to plug the POE injector into for the bridge. You will need some CMX Cat 5e (outdoor rated) cable, you will need to decide of the location to mount the outdoor accesspoint/bridges, (J-mount), a tall ladder or cherry picker to mount, a switch for the far end access location. A re-purposed router also works here giving you 4 switch ports and another wifi access signal. (router set as access point) Use a laptop with inSSIDer to scan the general vincinity of 2.4 and 5 Ghz radio signals. This will help to identify what bridge will work best. Any buildings in the way? Any trees in the way?

You can also get the EnGenius units from a fellow member here Keenan Systems

Last edited:
wow..

Ok I thought it was simple as plugging it into the cable modem. Basically right now there are about 5 commercial properties that are adjacent to each other with a brick wall between each and I need to get the internet from my friend to us - and the distance is 300 feet. The only interference would be the walls - any simple solutions to this?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!