What's new

[384.11_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can make a script or add to one of the start up scripts
Code:
cat << EOF > /jffs/IPV6-ADDER.SH
#
#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
ip route add default via fe80::THE:REST:OF:THE:ADDRESS dev eth0
sleep 5
service restart_dnsmasq
EOF

use the address you optain for WAN IPV6 gateway when you put it in pass through mode it will give you the address.
switch it back to native mode and set up the script to run when you reboot.
the only problem is if you gateway address changes dynamically often then this script does not account for that.

ntpMerlin is stuck on waiting for nvram variable "ntp_ready" to become 1.

@RMerlin: Does 384.11 Alpha 2 still set that?
Both Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 do not set it to 1 on my RT-AC86U, causing ntpMerlin to stall.

If I SSH into the router and set it to 1 myself I can start ntpMerlin.

What can block ntp to become ready?

check and make sure the on board dnsmasq config has
dhcp-option=dnsf5,option6:23,[2a02:6b8::feed:bad],[2a02:6b8:0:1::feed:bad]
dhcp-option=dnsf6,option6:23,[2a02:6b8::feed:a11],[2a02:6b8:0:1::feed:a11]
inside it if not you could always add it using the dnsmasq.conf.add
Aren't those obsolete options specific to Russian search engine Yandex?

yea my bad on that one i was looking at wrong script stuff when i posted that.

the very top one i first posted it correct tho used it myself a couple of times.

you can make a script or add to one of the start up scripts
Code:
cat << EOF > /jffs/IPV6-ADDER.SH
#
#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
ip route add default via fe80::THE:REST:OF:THE:ADDRESS dev eth0
sleep 5
service restart_dnsmasq
EOF

use the address you optain for WAN IPV6 gateway when you put it in pass through mode it will give you the address.
switch it back to native mode and set up the script to run when you reboot.
the only problem is if you gateway address changes dynamically often then this script does not account for that.
I think "wan-start" is an official custom user script name so I will use that.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
ip -6 route add default via fe80::1234:1234:1234:1234 dev eth0
#

I think "wan-start" is an official custom user script name so I will use that.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
ip -6 route add default via fe80::1234:1234:1234:1234 dev eth0
#
make sure you are not already using it for something else if you are you can always add it at the end put a nice little sleep in front, if that is the case to give what ever else needs to run priority.
you will also need to tell it to restart dnsmasq to send the gateway out via dhcp

make sure you are not already using it for something else if you are you can always add it at the end put a nice little sleep in front, if that is the case to give what ever else needs to run priority.
you will also need to tell it to restart dnsmasq to send the gateway out via dhcp
It is link-local so perhaps I did not need to redact it.

It appears from my logs that I have had that same IPv6 default gateway since I factory reset the router in late March.

yea you would want to redact the wan gateway IP it is the only address that is different what it attaches to then gets transported via link local

NTP server working as intended.:cool:
ntp.jpg

Did you have to change that manually to have it show like that?
What do you mean? Just took a snapshot of windows 10 internet time after changing the ntp server to router.asus.com to use the router's local ntp server.

What do you mean? Just took a snapshot of windows 10 internet time after changing the ntp server to router.asus.com to use the router's local ntp server.

Ah, so you changed this manually. :)

Ah, so you changed this manually. :)
Changed the ntp server of course which you will do anyway if you want to change the defaut, in this case, I pointed it to the router since it provides time.

Last edited:
What can block ntp to become ready?

NTP failing to connect to the configured server to initially set the clock.

Run it in debug mode over SSH to see the output:

Code:
ntp -d -n -p $(nvram get ntp_server0)

Changed the ntp server of course which you will do anyway if you want to change the defaut, in this case, I pointed it to the router since it provides time.

As far as I know, this isn't required to be done on the client devices. ;)

As far as I know, this isn't required to be done on the client devices. ;)
Your clients will not know where to get their time if you don't configure them to the ntp server you want them to get the time from. It used to be, Merlin's firmware does not include an NTP server but since 384.11 Alpha's, he included the NTP server. It needs to be enabled(administration\system) so the server is active. Now, to use the server you need the clients pointed to the router((router.asus.com or the router's IP) so they get their time from it. What's good is your clients are only 1 hop from the router as compared to using outside source(pool.ntp.org/time.nist.gov) which are at least 8 hops or more.
Are we thinking the same thing?

Your clients will not know where to get their time if you don't configure them to the ntp server you want them to get the time from. It used to be, Merlin's firmware does not include an NTP server but since 384.11 Alpha's, he included the NTP server. It needs to be enabled(administration\system) so the server is active. Now, to use the server you need the clients pointed to the router((router.asus.com or the router's IP) so they get their time from it. What's good is your clients are only 1 hop from the router as compared to using outside source(pool.ntp.org/time.nist.gov) which are at least 8 hops or more.
Are we thinking the same thing?
upload_2019-4-17_22-19-9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!