What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's a weird reason.

Those are informative. I get them because:

* I have both a wired and wireless connection on my PC
* I run a VM on my Mac
* I have NIC aliases on my Linux box
* I run a bridged Airport Express for Airplay

Are you experiencing any actual outage due to that log entry? You might check to see whether you have anything remotely resembling one of the scenarios above.

I have one AC87 as a FW/DHCP router, the second one is configured as an AP both 2.4 and 5 GHz. I have none of those things you mention above. I do have several Synology NAS, some SonoS components and 5 IP cams recording to one of my Synology NAS. When the problem starts, less than 15 minutes after a cold start, the LAN LEDs on my AP router start to flicker as crazy and the log starts filling up. Sometimes I can even reach the webserver of my AP router anymore. The loops seems to spread all over my LAN and slows down all connections. After a while my SonoS drops the streamed music or skips tracks, the IP cams can't get their images stored on the NAS and at the end even disconnect from my NAS (Timeout?).

I've had it with these ASUS routers, I feel like a beta tester for their products.

Cheers,
arachnida

with the latest beta I found problems in the "Administration> System" when I try to change "Time Zone". Mandatory also enter data "admin" and "password" to confirm the changes of the page

+1

beta 3562: upnp not work

What is upnp? I am also receiving this in my System Log.

Dec 18 13:20:58 rc_service: ntp 681:notify_rc restart_upnp
Dec 18 13:20:58 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via ...
Dec 18 13:21:12 rc_service: skip the event: restart_upnp.
Dec 18 13:21:12 rc_service: ntp 681:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Dec 18 13:21:12 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via ...

-Also thanks Gary for the continuous updates. Happy you guys are working hard at solving the issues/bugs :)

with the latest beta I found problems in the "Administration> System" when I try to change "Time Zone". Mandatory also enter data "admin" and "password" to confirm the changes of the page

I don't have this issue at all
I shut the router down for 5 minutes (pulling power) if that helps.

Password change fix

I found a way to fix the password issue.
Change the timezone to Caracas, change your username and password at the same time. Then change your timezone back to the correct one, password for me updates properly after the first timezone change.

Update 12/17/2014 - Beta Release - Build 3562

Beta Release - Build 3562

1. This is not on the support site and servers for auto update.
2. Download here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...ew?usp=sharing
3. Short Fix List
Fixes:
[update] Latest Quantenna SDK v36.7.0.31 to resolve OSX 10.10 5Ghz compatibility issue.

I understand that initially stability and functionality bugs get priority.

But I was wondering if the Quantenna people would consider adding transparent bridging to their driver at some point.

I know that this is something that (I believe) only the Broadcom driver has (had for some years) and FWICS no-one else has added the functionality (but there are a number of chipsets that I don't have access too). Certainly Quantenna and Marvel (of the WRT1900AC) don't have this feature.

This leads to slightly different bridge behaviour between the RT-AC87U(/R) 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless and while both "work" it can be confusing and a little annoying when monitoring products don't correctly identify devices behind the bridge when using the 5Ghz band.

I believe the request amounts to MAC address masquerading so that devices behind the bridge appear as themselves (ie. device MAC address, device IP address) rather than the bridge with different IP addresses (ie. bridge MAC address, device IP address).

Now there is obviously some awareness of this because DHCP addresses appear to get assigned properly and that's based on MAC address, so perhaps the Quantenna developers don't want to do this .........

Ian

I had the same problem with time. I had to chose Arizona time (I'm Mountain) and then go back to Mountain-07:00. Noticed now there are manual settings for DLST which were not there before. IPV6 doesn't come up immediately after choosing native, I had to pull the power couple minutes to get it to activate. All this after doing a hard reset.

This is kind of crazy but does work in my case pulling the power cord for 5 minutes restores some semblance of stability, and rebooting daily.

I wonder how Eric will deal with this awaiting a stable release middle of 2015 - very long holiday from messing around with Merlin Asus build :eek:

IPV6 doesn't come up immediately after choosing native, I had to pull the power couple minutes to get it to activate. All this after doing a hard reset.

Last edited:
AP Fixes?

Update 12/17/2014 - Beta Release - Build 3562

Beta Release - Build 3562

1. This is not on the support site and servers for auto update.
2. Download here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...ew?usp=sharing
3. Short Fix List
Fixes:
[update] Latest Quantenna SDK v36.7.0.31 to resolve OSX 10.10 5Ghz compatibility issue.

[update] openssl 1.0.0o

[update] support Korea power table (5G wireless)

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF880

[update] usb modem: support Royaltek Q110

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF823

[update] usb modem: update the QMI procedure

[Update] update FAQ link

[Update] Add alert on progressing bar while DUT fw upgrade in progress

[bugfix][bwdpi] fix bugs

[bugfix][USB] fix UI issues

[bugfix] fix IPv6 related issues

[bugfix] fix minidlna related issues

[bugfix] fix IGMP related issues

Update
1.Expect public release in early Q1.

Hey Gary ... is there a detailed list on the actual fixes? and is there any hope that the "running these as APs" issues we are having going to be address (or maybe has been?

Hey Gary ... is there a detailed list on the actual fixes? and is there any hope that the "running these as APs" issues we are having going to be address (or maybe has been?

I would love to use one as an AP. Have tried it twice and ended up returning second AC87 each time.

after testing this new beta firmware for a little more than i day i can confirm that the issue with mac OS X is fix but not totally, seem like some kind of memory leak or something but the performance is drop and wifi range for the 5ghz band is dramatically decrease. just 15 feet and one wall away from the router i'm getting no signal at all, also the time syncing is not work, the default value is Alaska -9, tried to change to my timezone doesn't work.

I found a way to fix the password issue.
Change the timezone to Caracas, change your username and password at the same time. Then change your timezone back to the correct one, password for me updates properly after the first timezone change.

This also allowed me to set the correct time zone. I couldnt pick pacific prior to doing this. It would select but show up with DST boxes that couldnt be modified so I couldnt apply it.

I've been using it for over 24 hrs now. Just in the wifi part I've had no problems. Seems to be much better in the range then the last two firmware updates I've tried. I did try to chance the time zone and it wouldn't let me. I haven't tried much else. I don't even have my USB drive hooked up yet.

UPNP Xbox issues

I'm still getting UPNP issues on my two Xboxes though :(
They come back with moderate NATs, one 360 and the X1.

DMZ doesn't work well either. Hopefully the issue is fixed in the official release.

I'm still getting UPNP issues on my two Xboxes though :(
They come back with moderate NATs, one 360 and the X1.

DMZ doesn't work well either. Hopefully the issue is fixed in the official release.

+1 for me too but for PS4, the moment i update and reset to start from beginning my NAT is open, but after a day its back to moderate for me. so i don't know what is going on. This is the most buggy Asus router i ever had.

UPNP

Ya, this has been a buggy one for me too.
I really want this one to work because I really like what they're trying to do with this router.
I love the live bandwidth monitor, we have quite a few devices so I like to see who is using the bandwidth.
Also it's a good looking router that doesn't look out of place in the living room near the home theatre and other gear.
Plus, I like all the features ASUS puts in there compared to other firmware.

I did buy a R7500 from Netgear and since the .76 firmware I gotta say it's a solid router too!

+1 for me too but for PS4, the moment i update and reset to start from beginning my NAT is open, but after a day its back to moderate for me. so i don't know what is going on. This is the most buggy Asus router i ever had.

Same here - very frustrating. This upnp issue needs resolved - as an avid gamer this is a no go for me.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!