What's new

ASUS Unveils RT-BE88U WiFi 7 Dual-Band Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everyone!
I put my hands on this device few days ago and I'm really enjoying the experience.
I still have to understand the GUI and all the "hidden" functions around, anyway, does anyone can suggest me a SFP+ 10Gbit RJ45?
As far as I know they are not all the same and I didn't find any compatibility list around.
Thank you!

Today I did a little thermal check for the SFP+ module.
The ZXOS11NPI XGS-PON SFP+ module ran at 53 degrees Celsius in a fan-cooled switch (It was a passively cooled switch with an external fan blowing into the vent).
The module runs at about 63-64C in this passively cooled router. (Ambient temperature of 26C). Not too bad of an increase.

Bash:
<user-omitted>@RT-BE88U# ethtool --module-info eth9
Identifier : 0x03 (SFP)
Vendor PN : ZXOS11NPI
<omitted other data>
Module voltage : 3.3689 V
Module temperature : 64.25 degrees C / 147.65 degrees F
Module temperature high alarm threshold : 90.00 degrees C / 194.00 degrees F
Module temperature high warning threshold : 85.00 degrees C / 185.00 degrees F

Hi everyone!
I put my hands on this device few days ago and I'm really enjoying the experience.
I still have to understand the GUI and all the "hidden" functions around, anyway, does anyone can suggest me a SFP+ 10Gbit RJ45?
As far as I know they are not all the same and I didn't find any compatibility list around.
Thank you!
I had the chance to test an adapter, TP-Link TL-SM5310-T.
It works perfectly with this router ;-)

Interesting.
I guess idle power consumption at least around 20Watts, heavy duty operation prob. >30W ?

"When the router is not in use, it uses about 10 watts of power and in use ~14 Watts. Of course, under massive load, these values can change."

Anyone have accurate numbers for load? Looks like max is 45W.

Is this RT-BE88U WiFi 7 Router supported using asuswrt-merlin? @RMerlin ?
I am debating if i want to purchase it, or if i should go with any of these.
ASUS RT-BE88U - Wi-Fi 7 - 383,31
ASUS RT-AX88U -Wi-Fi 6 - 347,96€

ASUS RT-AX88U PRO - Wi-Fi 7 - 253,47€
ASUS RT-BE58U - Wi-Fi 7 - 229,19€
Asus TUF AX4200 -Wi-Fi 6 - 204,05€
ASUS RT-AX92U -Wi-Fi 6 - 153,36€

Last edited:
He announced last week that it will be supported soon, next major release I believe.
What about these? @portets

Do you think any of these are worth it, the routers i mentioned earlier, or the routers i have below?
It will be in my new 61 square apartment.
I will mostly use it for gaming and for my several NAS setups.
(Mainly 2 NAS devices).
And my stationary desktop.
I move files a lot.
I game a lot and use the machine for streaming.

I do love to use Asuswrt-merlin on the router.

ASUS RT-BE58U router - 229,19€
ASUS TUF gaming BE3600 router - 195,11€

What about these? @portets

Do you think any of these are worth it, the routers i mentioned earlier, or the routers i have below?
It will be in my new 61 square apartment.
I will mostly use it for gaming and for my several NAS setups.
(Mainly 2 NAS devices).
And my stationary desktop.
I move files a lot.
I game a lot and use the machine for streaming.

I do love to use Asuswrt-merlin on the router.
If Merlin is required, the only BE routers guaranteed to get Merlin are the RT-BE88U, RT-BE96U, RT-BE98 Pro, to my knowledge. The RT-BE88u is the cheapest BE router in Asus' lineup that has the 2.6ghz quad core and 2gb RAM, like the higher end models. It also has the most ports of any standard consumer Wi-Fi router, 2 10G ports, 4 2.5G ports, 4 1G ports. It also has most of the gaming features that the cheaper models won't have. Sounds like the RT-BE88U is the best option for you. Unless you'd like to buy a cheaper BE router and an ethernet switch and hope your cheap BE router gets Merlin. Or an AX router that already has Merlin and a switch. Or if the lack of 6GHz is a deal breaker, then you'd want the BE96, BE98, or wait to see if Merlin eventually supports a cheaper BE tri-band router.

If Merlin is required, the only BE routers guaranteed to get Merlin are the RT-BE88U, RT-BE96U, RT-BE98 Pro, to my knowledge. The RT-BE88u is the cheapest BE router in Asus' lineup that has the 2.6ghz quad core and 2gb RAM, like the higher end models. It also has the most ports of any standard consumer Wi-Fi router, 2 10G ports, 4 2.5G ports, 4 1G ports. It also has most of the gaming features that the cheaper models won't have. Sounds like the RT-BE88U is the best option for you. Unless you'd like to buy a cheaper BE router and an ethernet switch and hope your cheap BE router gets Merlin. Or an AX router that already has Merlin and a switch. Or if the lack of 6GHz is a deal breaker, then you'd want the BE96, BE98, or wait to see if Merlin eventually supports a cheaper BE tri-band router.
In my opinion, the BE88U is quite expensive, costing twice as much as other AC routers. I'm not particularly concerned about WiFi 6 or 7 since I primarily rely on wired internet, which works well with my 1000/1000 Mbps fiber connection. My current Asus RT-AC88U performs well, but as I'm moving into my own apartment, I'm considering switching to a different router. I could also use a switch, though I'm hesitant because some switches don't support fully open ports.

In my opinion, the BE88U is quite expensive, costing twice as much as other AC routers. I'm not particularly concerned about WiFi 6 or 7 since I primarily rely on wired internet, which works well with my 1000/1000 Mbps fiber connection. My current Asus RT-AC88U performs well, but as I'm moving into my own apartment, I'm considering switching to a different router. I could also use a switch, though I'm hesitant because some switches don't support fully open ports.
The RT-AX88U Pro is $100 USD cheaper than the RT-BE88U in my country, and is one of the few pre-Wi-Fi 7 routers to get both AsusWRT 5.0 and the latest Merlin. It has a couple less ports than the RT-BE88U or your RT-AC88U, but would be good for your needs. The RT-AX88U (non-pro) is also a good upgrade but it's uncommon now and prices for new seem to be too high. Your RT-AC88U is probably fine for your needs unless you want newer firmware features or faster ports.

Price out the ports (10G, SFP+ and 4 port 2.5G) and it isn't that expensive. Non-crappy 5-port 2.5G switches are ~$99. If you don't need that and want to stay with Merlin, get the RT-AX88U / Pro.

Hasn't the RT-AC88U been EOL for a while now?
I game a lot
Asus TUF AX4200 -Wi-Fi 6 - 204,05€
Any of asus's filogic models will do sqm @ gigabit, support vlans, run Adguard home, and more if you flash with openwrt. Three new cheaper models are launching this year (1800S V2, RT-AX57M, RT-AX52).

Price out the ports (10G, SFP+ and 4 port 2.5G) and it isn't that expensive. Non-crappy 5-port 2.5G switches are ~$99. If you don't need that and want to stay with Merlin, get the RT-AX88U / Pro.

Hasn't the RT-AC88U been EOL for a while now?

Any of asus's filogic models will do sqm @ gigabit, support vlans, run Adguard home, and more if you flash with openwrt. Three new cheaper models are launching this year (1800S V2, RT-AX57M, RT-AX52).
Even if my AC88U has been EOL for a while, it still is quite good.
Out of the 3 you listed. it still outranks the new routers, the only "downside" is that it doesn't say wifi 6, but ac88u has faster speed, from what i can read.

I do use the OpenVPN also, so i can't cheap out on that.
I never really liked the UI of openwrt.

It does seem like ASUS RT-AX88U PRO - Wireless router Wi-Fi 6 is a better more "affordable" option.
But on the other hand. ASUS RT-BE88U - Wireless router 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be (Wi-Fi 7) does have 9 ports instead of 4, that AX88U Pro has.

1726524355825.png

I never really liked the UI of openwrt.

It does seem like ASUS RT-AX88U PRO - Wireless router Wi-Fi 6 is a better more "affordable" option.
But on the other hand. ASUS RT-BE88U - Wireless router 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be (Wi-Fi 7) does have 9 ports instead of 4, that AX88U Pro has.
Then nix all the openwrt filogic models.

If you value those ports or will use them in the future, it is affordable, will get four years of official updates, and looks like Merlin support shortly. Holiday sales are coming up and the BE88U should be $299 USD. Amazon US has it at $334.52 today. BE86U also exists.

I am a new user of this router and so far so good, however looks like firmware is not the best, I had to restart it twice during config as wifi went completely down when I was setting additional network for IoT.

Anyway, got a question which bothers me a bit.

At the moment I utilize standard RJ45 10Gb - which is working with 2.5Gb speed as this is what modem got, during the configuration I was going use link aggregation for NAS server (Lan/Wan 1 + Lan 2) and I have seen information on the GUI that once I enable it then my WAN will change into 10Gb mode only, that would mean my modem would not connect due to 2.5Gb connection.

Does that mean in order to use link aggregation I have to buy something that would convert RJ45 into SFP+ or it wont work? I have never used SFP+ and to be honest do not have a clue if it can establish connections on lower speeds, or how the router will behave, as it might force 10Gb on SFP when I sue link aggregation. There is no documentation or I cannot find it.

Then nix all the openwrt filogic models.

If you value those ports or will use them in the future, it is affordable, will get four years of official updates, and looks like Merlin support shortly. Holiday sales are coming up and the BE88U should be $299 USD. Amazon US has it at $334.52 today. BE86U also exists.
What do you think of this one? @tiddlywink
ASUS RT-AX92U AX6100 - 76,77€
Or
ASUS AX-3000 (RT-AX58U V2) WiFi 6 - 68,24
or
ASUS TUF-AX5400 Router (Wi-Fi 6) - 51,18€

Last edited:
What do you think of this one? @tiddlywink
ASUS RT-AX92U AX6100 - 76,77€
Or
ASUS AX-3000 (RT-AX58U V2) WiFi 6 - 68,24
or
ASUS TUF-AX5400 Router (Wi-Fi 6) - 51,18€

None are supported by Merlin. Figure out if you want Merlin, the features you want, and then look for models that meet those requirements.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!