What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.37 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know that the wireless drivers were not changed between 3.0.0.4.374.37 and 3.0.0.4.374.36 Beta, but my Asus USB N53 wireless connects faster when PC is woke up from sleep mode. Nothing changed on PC, Windows 8.1 with latest wireless drivers from Ralink/mediatek. Am using the 3.0.0.4.374.37 old usb image right now. In both cases am using the new drivers.
Just FYI.
My bad. Router is R66U
--bill

Last edited:
Hi,
We can't use a USB hub. Is there any way to use the USB hub (another driver, scripts, etc.)?

Edit: AC66U

Greetings
Bernd

Last edited:
Hi

I'm talking about the wrong driver asus included in the gpl release not the usb driver

When Merlin is talking about the wrong(old)driver(wireless) released in GPL 501, he is referring to RT-AC56U/R and RT-AC68U/R drivers, ARM based models. The MIPS models(RT-N16, RT-N66, and RT-AC66) are unaffected since they use a different SDK which ASUS has not upgraded. However, the newer USB code updates/changes from GPL 501 for the MIPS models didn't work when Merlin merge it to his firmwares, hence, he released the 501 based MIPS firmwares with the old working USB codes temporarily.

Last edited:
Hi,
We can't use a USB hub. Is there any way to use the USB hub (another driver, scripts, etc.)?

Greetings
Bernd

yes i also have this query.. i can use my USB modem in the direct USB 2.0 port of AC68U but when i connect the USB modem to powered USB hub, the router does not recognize it.. why is that so..

So based on my understanding here's a summary of the state of this release:

ARM builds (AC68/56) are using some wireless driver that isn't very good because Asus didn't release the one from .501 (which is generally well-received) with the source that Merlin uses. People who use these routers should hold off and wait for Merlin to get the right wireless driver from Asus (and there's no ETA on that), but you can use Asus' 501 build in the mean time if you need the wireless performance.

MIPS (AC66, N__) builds all use the same wireless driver they've been using for a while. But Asus' USB code is broken for them and Merlin created the oldusb version to try to revert just that part. In theory the oldusb build should work as originally intended, but the USB code isn't tested super thoroughly (and you can help by testing it for Merlin).

Any part I got wrong?

PPP adapter XXXX Home VPN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

"missnig" ... not assigned to dhcp clinet trough PPTP vpn server...

Is dns not essential for networking to operate ? :(((

C:\Users\xxxx>ping popcorn
Ping request could not find host popcorn. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\xxxx>nslookup
Default Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

> popcorn
Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Name: popcorn
Address: 192.168.1.20

WTF?

If I recall correclly (ping (dns neme) worked before adding hostneme to dhcp list.)

The default domain is something that gets assigned by the DHCP server. Therefore, your VPN clients won't know what default domain to append to DNS queries. Plus, the VPN's DNS server isn't the only one that will be available to the client, so it might not by default query the VPN connection's server.

Last edited:
yes i also have this query.. i can use my USB modem in the direct USB 2.0 port of AC68U but when i connect the USB modem to powered USB hub, the router does not recognize it.. why is that so..

USB hub support seems to be one of the things that Asus intends to at least partly support with the new USB code, which is NOT finished yet.

The router does not recognize it yet because a USB hub requires specific support (both driver-wise and code-wise).

temps

What temps should I expect? I get

2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 53°C - CPU: 83°C

RT-AC68U
Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.37 (Merlin build)

What temps should I expect? I get

2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 53°C - CPU: 83°C

RT-AC68U
Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.37 (Merlin build)

Those are normal.

Cześć Merlin :)

I am a owner of a RT-AC66U running your firmware ver. 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 (NVRAM was properly reset when switched from stock FW).
When I look into System log this is mostly what I see:

Code:
Dec 31 23:52:29 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Dec 31 23:53:19 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Dec 31 23:55:58 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Dec 31 23:57:01 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 05:54:00 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 1920:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Jan  1 07:32:49 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 07:33:12 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 08:57:14 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 08:57:56 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:27:30 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:27:50 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:31:35 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:33:06 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:36:43 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 11:08:20 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 11:08:42 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 13:35:30 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 13:36:22 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address

The router is running in AP mode, all the USB applications have been disabled and all of the computers on the network are only using one NIC (wireless or wired). My firewall, a enterprise-class ZyXEL (USG 200) is acting as DHCP server. There are no wireless repeaters or APs installed either, the RT-AC66U is the only wireless source. I am using same SSID on 2.4 and 5Ghz band - could this be the cause or something else??

Why don't you change the SSID of one of the band and see what happens? My guess is, the identical SSID is causing those logs.

Cześć Merlin :)

I am a owner of a RT-AC66U running your firmware ver. 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 (NVRAM was properly reset when switched from stock FW).
When I look into System log this is mostly what I see:

Code:
Dec 31 23:52:29 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Dec 31 23:53:19 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Dec 31 23:55:58 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Dec 31 23:57:01 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 05:54:00 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 1920:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Jan  1 07:32:49 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 07:33:12 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 08:57:14 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 08:57:56 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:27:30 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:27:50 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:31:35 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:33:06 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 10:36:43 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 11:08:20 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 11:08:42 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 13:35:30 kernel: eth2: received packet with  own address as source address
Jan  1 13:36:22 kernel: eth1: received packet with  own address as source address

The router is running in AP mode, all the USB applications have been disabled and all of the computers on the network are only using one NIC (wireless or wired). My firewall, a enterprise-class ZyXEL (USG 200) is acting as DHCP server. There are no wireless repeaters or APs installed either, the RT-AC66U is the only wireless source. I am using same SSID on 2.4 and 5Ghz band - could this be the cause or something else??

I am using a RT-N66U with latest Merlin as my main router, and an old Linksys with Tomato as an access point (both use the same SSID, but on different channels). They are hardwired together.

I also used to get loads of those messages, but after I excluded the Linksys in Merlin's MAC-filter (under "Wireless" in the menu), and the RT-N66U in the MAC-filter of my Linksys, I only get a few of those messages. I'm not sure it's related, but it feels that way. I have a feeling they tried to talk to each other over wireless. I' also using some gadgets (Internet-radio x 2) that are placed so that can communicate with both Asus and Linksys. I also MAC-filtered those out from one of the devices (forcing them to use only the other).

I still get some (few) of those messages, but that is when i walk between the coverage of the Linksys and the Asus (and vice versa) with a mobile device (iPhone or iPad), when "handing over".

Please let me know if you guys notice anything else unusual with those oldusb builds (not just at the USB level). It took a fair bit of surgery to revert those bits of code as it was spread over 5-6 different places, I want to be sure I didn't accidentally break anything else in the process.

Happy New Year RMerlin.

Running .374.37_1-oldusb on RT-N66U.

MiniDLNA wasn't working, so changed Set as WINS server to "No" and NTFS Sparse Files support to "Disable" which probably had absolutely nothing to do with it, but still kicked MiniDLNA into life and started scanning the 2TB NTFS HD, and everything else seems fine now, including OpenVPN.

Don't quote me on this, but my 5ghz is completely screwed with any activity and both bands drop out, literally showing less signal and going to 1 mbps with a little load.

Prior firmware was only 10% this bad.

Merlin i am having disconnection error when trying to download the firmware

What router are you using, also try through different browsers, chrome, firefox, explorer etc... Keep persisting download will come through.

Happy New Year RMerlin.

Running .374.37_1-oldusb on RT-N66U.

MiniDLNA wasn't working, so changed Set as WINS server to "No" and NTFS Sparse Files support to "Disable" which probably had absolutely nothing to do with it, but still kicked MiniDLNA into life and started scanning the 2TB NTFS HD, and everything else seems fine now, including OpenVPN.

Doing any change to that page will cause all USB-related services to be restarted, including minidlna. Chances are the fix wasn't the changes you did, merely the fact that the service got (re)-started.

See if it still occurs after a reboot. If it does, it might be a consequence of the backported USB code since USB and those NAS services (DLNA/SMB/mt-daapd) are tightly related.

Asus sent me some fresh GPL code for MIPS devices (dated from December 29th, so newer than both 374_501 and the leaked beta 374_1631) and updated wireless driver for ARM devices (they were actually compiled yesterday, so they're probably newer even than the released 501 FW).

I'll see if I can bake it all together over the weekend. The newer GPL code might carry additional fixes for the MIPS platforms such as HW acceleration fixes - I haven't had time yet to see what was changed in that code.

I'll leave the 374.37 builds available for now for people who still want to use them (it's running fine for myself, so it also probably does for some other users), but once I have a 374.38 out, I will remove 374.37 from the website due to the numerous issues that build has.

EDIT: one interesting change in the new wireless drivers for ARM devices is Asus provided two different drivers now, for AC56 and AC68. The current build environment on ARM does not make any distinction between the two, so it's possible they are starting to fork the driver of these two to better optimize for their respective devices - like they were doing on the MIPS platform.

Last edited:
Well I understand asus focus is on the newer routers they released. But i am feeling a little disrespect regarding the N66U from them. This unit itself still need's improvements regarding it's own wireless drivers. I currently prefer the latest drivers, but as we all know the 2.4ghz range is rather pathetic. It's now been over 2 months without any news or anything regarding them even working on a new firmware for the N66U.

As much as I like a lot of the things asus offers with the N66U, if they don't work to improve the wireless side of the N66U. I can promise you, the next router I do buy won't be from asus. Btw I am in no way trying to sound like an butt here. But all of us N66U owners, know how much of a rather piss poor job asus has did regarding improving the wireless side of the N66U over many months now, and still ongoing.