What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.40 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you use remote antennas on these? It seems like it should be possible as it does have common connectors. He(She) would still have to get the leads from one side of the wall to the other, but that might be a solution.
But if you are going to go to that much effort, I might be easier just to have the router on that side of the wall in the first place.

Ahh I see - so you're trying to repeat one band but run the other as a unique radio on that same device. Tricky, but you may be able to do it with DD-WRT and the funky bridge modes they offer.

It works as you have described, but i cant make any manual changes when the router is in repeater mode, because the options are no longer present. So im stuck with whatever options Asus has encoded into their firmware.

But yeah, with DD-WRT thats not the issue, just would be nice to have more options and choices across all firmwares.

Last edited:
Lag when streaming

I had a Netgear router before and got 66 mb/s doing TP-test, with my new asus ac 66 i get 110 mb/s using Wi-Fi. When i stream from my tv-box to my laptop with the old router I experienced no lag, but with this new ac66 (who gets better results) I have lots of lag when streaming.. Is there anyone who gets those lag-spikes?

You from Sweden, right ??? :)

my streaming and transcoding is OK on both side (LAN/WAN).

I had a Netgear router before and got 66 mb/s doing TP-test, with my new asus ac 66 i get 110 mb/s using Wi-Fi. When i stream from my tv-box to my laptop with the old router I experienced no lag, but with this new ac66 (who gets better results) I have lots of lag when streaming.. Is there anyone who gets those lag-spikes?

FYI I'm not sure what suddenly triggered it, but last night the reboots got way more frequent on my AC68U w/ the newest 374.40 beta. I had to downgrade to 374.39, and now that's fixed. Does anyone have an ETA on when Asus might push a fix?

Thanks for the hard work!

Do you provide md5/sha or the like for verifying the integrity of the files hosted on mediafire? I can't seem to locate them anywhere.

Short question: restarts on rt-ac68u occurs on official newest firmware and Merlin's or only on Merlin's? I assume that on both because of problem with Broadcom soft but have to be sure. I bought one to small office and have to decide which firmware to use for now.

Short question: restarts on rt-ac68u occurs on official newest firmware and Merlin's or only on Merlin's? I assume that on both because of problem with Broadcom soft but have to be sure. I bought one to small office and have to decide which firmware to use for now.
Both. The newest Merlin is based on the newest Asus, and both have the same issue. They also include some important security fixes, though. At this point, I'm forgoing the security fixes for version 39, which is quite stable for me, and I'm very hopeful that the next Asus release / Merlin 41 will fix the rebooting issues. A couple weeks ago "a couple weeks" was mentioned as a rough timeline so I hope we're close!

Thanks for the hard work!

Do you provide md5/sha or the like for verifying the integrity of the files hosted on mediafire? I can't seem to locate them anywhere.

Not at this time. This is something I want to do eventually, however I need to automatize my build system a bit more first, cause right now I have to do far too much work manually when preparing a new release.

Both. The newest Merlin is based on the newest Asus, and both have the same issue. They also include some important security fixes, though. At this point, I'm forgoing the security fixes for version 39, which is quite stable for me, and I'm very hopeful that the next Asus release / Merlin 41 will fix the rebooting issues. A couple weeks ago "a couple weeks" was mentioned as a rough timeline so I hope we're close!

374.40 alpha 4 will contain all those security fixes as well, without the broken bits causing the reboot. At this time this is the recommended version for RT-AC68U users (unless you are lucky like me, and can run the latest code without any issue).

374.40 alpha 4 will contain all those security fixes as well, without the broken bits causing the reboot. At this time this is the recommended version for RT-AC68U users (unless you are lucky like me, and can run the latest code without any issue).

I seem to last a week on the last beta (3) without a reboot. the only thing that annoys me is the usb hdd refusing to mount unless the usb cables replugged. it even logs spin up and spin down but doesn't bloody mount.

I seem to last a week on the last beta (3) without a reboot. the only thing that annoys me is the usb hdd refusing to mount unless the usb cables replugged. it even logs spin up and spin down but doesn't bloody mount.

As I said in the OP, 374.40 Beta 3 is known to contain the unstable code. 374.40 alpha 4 does not.

Google Cloud Print

I have been a happy user of Merlin's firmware and visit this forum from time to time. I was wondering if it is possible to bake Google Cloud Print (or another equivalent) into the firmware. It would be great if printers connected via USB/Ethernet/Wifi to the router can be accessed from the internet. I tried that in a roundabout way by enabling the VPN server on the router and logging into the VPN and issuing prints, which works for the most part. It is, however, slightly involved and I have been facing some trouble logging into the PPTP VPN from my institute. That could be a problem with the institute's network too, but I haven't invested any time in debugging it. It's not that I have a dire need to print from the internet, but it would be cool if it works out of the box. I imagine that a lot of other people would be interested in this too.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,
This is an issue found in Tomato-Arm, but Victek said this also appeared in Asuswrt and this "acs_ifnames" is written and committed to NVRAM by wireless driver. Did you notice that?

Here is the issue:
Every time I reboot the router (one reboot after another without doing anything else), the free space of nvram get reduced a little bit (several bytes).
With simple compare of output of "nvram show", I found the token "acs_ifnames" get appended every time the router is rebooted.
Now it's "acs_ifnames=eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2", with several reboots, which seems like with every reboot, an "eth1 eth2" get appended.

This will finally get NVRAM exhausted and about XXX times reboot, NVRAM finally got fired, which is definitely illogical.

Another question: In normal case, does every reboot modify the nvram? I mean the physical nvram which get committed, not the map in the ram which is volatile. Except the "Apply" in the GUI when saving settings, is there any other case Tomato will do a "commit" to the nvram? Like saving some vars between every reboots and retrieve it later on.

I have been a happy user of Merlin's firmware and visit this forum from time to time. I was wondering if it is possible to bake Google Cloud Print (or another equivalent) into the firmware.

No plan to.

Status
Not open for further replies.