What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.40 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO, DO NOT Flash over wifi unless you want a paperweight instead of a router.

I have flashed over wifi many times never had a issue. But if you need to factory reset then a wired connection is probably a better choice.

I've flashed all firmware updates and even done factory resets over wifi and Never had an issue...

Cheers

I understand it's generally safer to do it over ethernet but for convenience's sake just had to ask—seems like there's been some successes. Thanks, will give it a shot :)

Last edited:
i do not see this new version under the AC68U folder

Did you see this in the first post of the thread?

IMPORTANT: The RT-AC68U build is still unstable. Neither Asus nor myself have been successful in tracking down the cause yet. For this reason, the 374.40 release for the AC68U will be labeled as 374.40-beta3. Some people aren't affected by the issue (only two reboots over the course of two weeks for myself), but for the rest, 374.40-alpha4 remains the last known stable build.

To those who say they have successfully updated over wi-fi; I say I used to drink and drive and never had an incident - does that mean it is safe?

To those who say they have successfully updated over wi-fi; I say I used to drink and drive and never had an incident - does that mean it is safe?

Get your facts straight. Flashing over wifi is perfectly safe as the file is first uploaded, then the router checks it and if the check comes back ok it is flashed.

Merlin, would you ever consider freezing stable code from Asus and just branching off with it and doing your own thing? You provide more useful features than Asus do anyways. It seems your project has turned more into being Quality Control for the Asus firmware development team rather than a fun hobby. You could develop your own GUI with the fancy logo and everything. Then just lift the updated drivers from the open source releases as needed.

cmillar6:
You provide more useful features than Asus do anyways. It seems your project has turned more into being Quality Control for the Asus firmware development team rather than a fun hobby.

I have to agree with this 100%

Is it safe to flash over wi-fi instead of an ethernet connection?

I use a Macbook Air at home. In the past I used the office laptop with an ethernet connection to the router to flash.

Flashing over wifi is fine, however IF something goes wrong, the only way to use the Firmware Recovery mode is through an Ethernet connection.

So, only flash over wifi if you ALSO have access to an Ethernet-connected computer in case recovery is required.

Merlin, would you ever consider freezing stable code from Asus and just branching off with it and doing your own thing? You provide more useful features than Asus do anyways. It seems your project has turned more into being Quality Control for the Asus firmware development team rather than a fun hobby. You could develop your own GUI with the fancy logo and everything. Then just lift the updated drivers from the open source releases as needed.

I've thought about it (fully branching out, like Padavan did), however if I did that, then this project would be nothing more than another Tomato clone. And it would pretty much lock me out of (easily) supporting newer models.

So at this point, I'd be more inclined in just slowing down the merging of new GPL releases, possibly skipping releases that do not bring anything significant to the table. I still prefer to keep this project as an "enhanced Asuswrt version" rather than "generic alternative firmware".

Also, trying to stay close to the original firmware keeps me in a greyer area when it comes to proprietary things such as AiCloud or Paragon's NTFS driver. If I were to divert to far away from the original firmware, then I might be asked to stop using those proprietary components.

Flashing over wifi is fine, however IF something goes wrong, the only way to use the Firmware Recovery mode is through an Ethernet connection.

So, only flash over wifi if you ALSO have access to an Ethernet-connected computer in case recovery is required.

Thank you!

Why were the AC66 drivers reverted to GPL 374_2078?

Quite a few users complained about the newer one, and I didn't recall any complain from that previous one. So, I just wanted to play it safe for now.

Last edited:
Is it recommended to restore to factory settings if going from .39 to this? Thanks.

Shouldn't be necessary, unless you do experience wireless issues (depends on when was the last time you did a factory default reset).

Is it safe to flash over wi-fi instead of an ethernet connection?

I use a Macbook Air at home. In the past I used the office laptop with an ethernet connection to the router to flash.

I always flash mine over wifi from my macbook. I haven't had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.