What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmm

Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is now available for all supported models.

The highlights over 376.46:

• Merge with Asus's 376_2678 GPL code, which brings various fixes and improvements to the RT-AC87U (DPI and wifi), more work surrounding USB 3G/4G modems, and some more fixes and tweaks.
  • SNMP support has been enabled on all models (except the RT-N16, since Asus's MIBs require OpenVPN to be compiled in). This is a feature that's still in development by Asus, so consider this as being experimental. You can enable and configure it under Administration -> SNMP.
  • FTP and Samba AiCloud syncing. Again, another feature that Asus is still working on, and should be considered as experimental.
  • SSH now supports SHA256 and SHA512 HMAC, in response to SHA-1 being gradually phased out on the rest of the Internet.
  • Numerous fixes to the VPN webui

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

So, from this i don't really see the point in upgrading from .45 for a normal user...some say there is an improvement in WiFi throughput and some say not. I think i'll sit this one out...or should i upgrade?

Advise me please...

We can't make your mind up for you.

But it seems like you don't need or use the new features provided, so don't upgrade.

What I'm always concerned about though is the stuff that gets fixed without it being in the change log. As an example, the throughput is obviously better for me and customers routers. Yet it is not mentioned anywhere as an improvement.

So, from this i don't really see the point in upgrading from .45 for a normal user...some say there is an improvement in WiFi throughput and some say not. I think i'll sit this one out...or should i upgrade?

Advise me please...

This is just a summary of my own changes. Look at the changelog for the full details for the last 2-3 releases.

And there's also all the changes and fixes Asus did between 2044 and 2678.

After updating from .45 I cant login again. Ive tried 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. It states that IP has changed and port number aswell but i ONLY updated the firmware nothing else. Has anyone experienced this or am I alone here?
Never had this problem and I've updated the router for the last year with Merlin SW without any problem.

Owner of an ASUS RT-AC66U

Regards Dive :confused:

RT-AC87U

I received today my RT-AC87U in Germany

I have a problem with the LAN 1 connection there is at load device lakes <unknown> this is a firmware bug

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 574
Issue with .47

Hi all,

Just thought I would report the issue I had with the latest firmware (47). I have a AC68U, updated the firmware today from 44 to 47. No issues updating.

I found this evening that streaming from my Plex server to the Samsung Smart TV was very poor. Video was stalling every 20 seconds, and the UI loading was very slow. This is streaming over wi-fi, around 4 meters away from the modem. Tried restarting the router, server and TV, but still no joy.

Decided to revert back to version 44, and everything is back to normal. Wi-fi throughput looks to be back to full speed.

It's worth noting that I didn't do a factory reset after the update, so maybe that may have been the issue. Although looking through previous posts wi-fi throughput may be an issue.

Thanks for all your hard work RMerlin, very much appreciated.

Hi all,

Just thought I would report the issue I had with the latest firmware (47). I have a AC68U, updated the firmware today from 44 to 47. No issues updating.

I found this evening that streaming from my Plex server to the Samsung Smart TV was very poor. Video was stalling every 20 seconds, and the UI loading was very slow. This is streaming over wi-fi, around 4 meters away from the modem. Tried restarting the router, server and TV, but still no joy.

Decided to revert back to version 44, and everything is back to normal. Wi-fi throughput looks to be back to full speed.

It's worth noting that I didn't do a factory reset after the update, so maybe that may have been the issue. Although looking through previous posts wi-fi throughput may be an issue.

Thanks for all your hard work RMerlin, very much appreciated.

Similar issue here when i upgraded to 47 on my 68U streaming on my ipad 2 would stall and the ipad would say it lost connection to the internet. This never happened before so i went back to Johns fork 374.43 and all was well again. Tried to 47 again a few days later and it went right back to disconnecting during HD streaming again 374.43 fork fixed it.

For me 374.43 is the last firmware i will use with my 68U until tax season when i pick up a new router. I am thinking of trying the R-7000 seems lots of folks are liking it and the range seems fantastic compared to the Asus routers with the new firmwares.

I received today my RT-AC87U in Germany

I have a problem with the LAN 1 connection there is at load device lakes <unknown> this is a firmware bug

No this it not a bug, this is a technical limitation. The switch that provides the Lan 1 port doesn't provide the last seen MAC, so that's why it's being reported as unknown.

Thank you Merlin for all the work you put into these builds. I have been using your builds for about two years on my RT-N16 and this is the first time I've ever had to post about bugs.

I currently have an RT-AC87U. Here are the problems I have experienced in 376.47. FYI, I reset my settings and rebuilt them from scratch after I started having problems, but the problems are still there.

1. Traffic Monitor is not accurate. While a torrent transfer was in progress I witnessed none of the traffic being counted.

2. Scheduling a disk scan does not work.

3. Not sure why, but I lost the ability to update my asuscomm.com DDNS hostname that I have maintained for years. This was a BIG issue as a lot of things have been set up using that hostname, but I learned from my mistake and started an account with no-ip going forward. The services would say registration successful but the IP would never update. It allowed me to register a new hostname successfully. This hostname is permanently lost...

4. After a clean flash of the firmware, an OpenVPN server will show as running. Though I can disable it successfully.

5. I can no longer connect to network resources from the LAN side of the router using the DDNS hostname. For instance I used to be able to connect to servers on my network using the DDNS hostname and port forwarding rules (https://hostname.ddns.com:8085/ which would translate to https://webserver/)

6. Using the MAC clone feature on the WAN will eventually result in internet traffic from the LAN side not reaching the WAN even though I can still ping internet addresses from the ping tools on the router management interface.

That's my list. I appreciate your hard work and I hope this helps you improve the builds even further.

1. Traffic Monitor is not accurate. While a torrent transfer was in progress I witnessed none of the traffic being counted.

Traffic Monitor has always been a PITA. Asus did additional fixes in 376.2769, no idea if resolves any of the remaining issues however. So far I'm unable to reproduce any of the reported issues, as they only occur under very specific scenarios.

2. Scheduling a disk scan does not work.

Known issue in Asus's code, it has never worked AFAIK, and I'm letting Asus take care of this one.

3. Not sure why, but I lost the ability to update my asuscomm.com DDNS hostname that I have maintained for years. This was a BIG issue as a lot of things have been set up using that hostname, but I learned from my mistake and started an account with no-ip going forward. The services would say registration successful but the IP would never update. It allowed me to register a new hostname successfully. This hostname is permanently lost...

Asus's DDNS uses your MAC to authenticate itself (otherwise anyone could steal your hostname). It's normal that changing router will prevent you from reusing it with a new router, nothing that can be done about it.

4. After a clean flash of the firmware, an OpenVPN server will show as running. Though I can disable it successfully.

Known issue, that's because when Asus took my OpenVPN code and added it to the stock firmware, they changed the way the enable nvram setting works from my original code. So any time someone upgrades from stock firmware to my firmware without a factory default reset, the OpenVPN server will be enabled.

Changing this will create other issues (such as people who never read the changelog would then start reporting that "my OpenVPN no longer start automatically, must be broken", that's why I haven't done anything about this yet. If it starts becoming a common issue (Asus changing the behaviour of existing nvram settings), I might just start requesting that people switching from stock to modded firmware do a mandatory factory default reset afterward. I do my best to keep 100% backward and forward compatibility, but when it's Asus breaking things, there's nothing I can do about it.

5. I can no longer connect to network resources from the LAN side of the router using the DDNS hostname. For instance I used to be able to connect to servers on my network using the DDNS hostname and port forwarding rules (https://hostname.ddns.com:8085/ which would translate to https://webserver/)

NAT loopback is working fine here, and every time I had a report of NAT loopback not working, I would spend time re-re-re-retesting it for the 100th time to confirm that it does work fine. And then the reporter realizes that the issue is his DDNS not being up-to-date, forwarding to the wrong IP, or his target service having a firewall blocking access to it... So most likely your issue is with one of these - double check the DDNS and the target forward.

6. Using the MAC clone feature on the WAN will eventually result in internet traffic from the LAN side not reaching the WAN even though I can still ping internet addresses from the ping tools on the router management interface.

This is probably an ISP issue. ISPs can be picky if you play with your MAC, as they use it to ensure that they don't issue multiple leases to a given client.

Merlin,

I resolved NAT loopback by disabling port forwarding and then re-enabling. I hope this sticks.

In regards to the DDNS issue: When I went from my N16 to the AC87U I changed the DDNS hostname on the N16. I was able to re-register the hostname on the AC87U after tha, for almost a week but it stopped working shortly after the update to 376.47. Again, it's in the past as I am now using no-ip, and it's ASUS' fault for authenticating the way they do.

UPDATE: NAT Loopback has stopped working again after a few minutes.

Last edited:
No this it not a bug, this is a technical limitation. The switch that provides the Lan 1 port doesn't provide the last seen MAC, so that's why it's being reported as unknown.

@Merlin

if I do not have a LAN cable connected to the LAN1 port
and there comes the message "unknown", because not none, is the switch is defective ??

on Lan 2 Port ist always ok .....

@Merlin

if I do not have a LAN cable connected to the LAN1 port
and there comes the message "unknown", because not none, is the switch is defective ??

on Lan 2 Port ist always ok .....

The firmware will also report the last seen MAC even if a port is currently down, that's why the unknown message appears even then.

Port 1 is the only port that's handled by the Realtek switch, ports 2 through 4 are handled by the Broadcom switch.

The firmware will also report the last seen MAC even if a port is currently down, that's why the unknown message appears even then.

Port 1 is the only port that's handled by the Realtek switch, ports 2 through 4 are handled by the Broadcom switch.

Ok
why did he not recognize my PC connected to port 1
Even if I conect my laptop comes this message too

Merlin, is it safe to assume that your next FW update for the AC87 will incorporate changes in the 2769 FW that was released a week and a half ago?

As their updates state: Fixed the network looping issue when multiple Sonos speakers connecting to router by network cable.
2.Fixed EU model lan connection speed drop issue.
3.Fixed string and browser compatible related GUI issues.

Updated
1.Increased AdaptiveQoS bandwidth monitor application icons.
2.Adjusted priority setting GUI in Adaptive QoS bandwidth monitor

As I do not use any of these features, nor do I have Sonos, I've stuck with your .47 version in the mean time.

Merlin, is it safe to assume that your next FW update for the AC87 will incorporate changes in the 2769 FW that was released a week and a half ago?

2769 has already been merged on Github a few days ago.

2769 has already been merged on Github a few days ago.

Thanks. Not familiar with Github, as I only download from your download links. I assume code/fws go to Github, then get released by your in Beta/final FW format, and then placed on your download links?