What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is the AX-86S supported with Mellin ?

yup, I think they are the same series but thought I would check

@merlin_user123 I found a bug on rt-axe16000 , when configuring smart-connect, I can choose between 2,4/5ghz1/5ghz2/6ghz
If I select only the last two (5ghz2/6ghz) and name it SuperSuperNemon and press save: the bug renames the network Name to the 2,4ghz network name...offcourse that doesn't make sense, because I didn't select 2,4ghz, and now my "smart connect" network has the same ssid as my 2,4ghz network?

It is a new router, merlin 388.1 ROG firmware update was done and offcourse a full reset (by software AND by button)

1670524112786.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your advise...
That´s exactly what I´ve done...

Even if I start with 388.1 from scratch, it does´nt work. After downgrading from this situation to 386 and it works...
Try one last thing, after the rest and setup again, do an electrical reset, that is turn off power switch, unplug the router from power and turn on the power while unplugged. This bleads off all current in the hardware. Then power up and test.

I'm also using 388.1 on GT-AXE11000 router. I originally was using Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.388.20499 and all was good. Then I updated to 3.0.0.4.388.21224 and I started to get dc on a couple of my nodes. I have 4 AX92U nodes. Worked with Asus for a long time and no resolution, so I decided to flash merlin. I then flashed 386.7_2 and the problem went away. Well I just upgraded merlin to 388.1 and the problems are back again. I'm assuming merlin was behind one firmware and now is up to date which reintroduced these problems? Don't know what to do at this point. My nodes don't support merlin. Should I downgrade to Asus firmware that worked so the whole system is using Asus firmware, or it's fine to have merlin on GT-AXE11000 and Asus firmware on nodes. Figured it wouldn't be issue since merlin is based on oem. Looking at the change notes from Asus firmware it looks like they Improved 5G/160MHz and 6G/160MHz throughput, so don't know if there is some issue with that. I didn't try a factory reset yet, I've been flashing back and forth dirty, because I don't wanna have to re setup my 4 nodes again.
It's okay to have stock Asus firmware on your nodes. This comes down to a personal preference. make your own choice.

Question: I guess I never noticed before as I usually leave 'Firewall' at default values. in the UI, I see under 'Basic Config': 'Enable IPv4 inbound firewall rule' set to 'No' by default. Is this correct? Or does this only apply if I have set IPv4 Inbound rules?
Thanks for the answer to this 'dumb' Q, in advance
You would enable this if you had specific inbound rules only.

This release is broken IMHO, not your fault Merlin and I always respect your work, but on ax6000 ax86 aimesh combo 5G/AX is broken.
tried everything, but extremely low throughput and continuous wifi disconnects, I go back to previous version as well.

This release is broken IMHO, not your fault Merlin and I always respect your work, but on ax6000 ax86 aimesh combo 5G/AX is broken.
tried everything, but extremely low throughput and continuous wifi disconnects, I go back to previous version as well.
Absolutely no issue here with GT-AX6000 primary router with Merlin 388.1 and two (2) RT-AX86U AiMesh nodes with Asus 388_21709 (one with 2.5 Gb wired backhaul and one with 5 GHz/160 MHz WiFi backhaul).

I agree. After reading a majority of the posts the inconsistency of working/not working on the same models, makes me think twice upgrading a second time. I might try it to test more, but I have a feeling it's not Merlin's issue. More of maybe changes on the original firmware that's throwing things off

So just flashed back and 5g issues remain?!?
fixed cha 48 this always worked fine.
I did flash the ROG Merlin version last Sunday by accident and flashed the non ROG version after that. Maybe that broke something. I just don’t want to do a full reset, needing to reconfigure AMTM and everything. And start dragging the AX86 downstairs again as it won’t pair for AImesh over ethernet. Freaking nightmare this….

So just flashed back and 5g issues remain?!?
fixed cha 48 this always worked fine.
I did flash the ROG Merlin version last Sunday by accident and flashed the non ROG version after that. Maybe that broke something. I just don’t want to do a full reset, needing to reconfigure AMTM and everything. And start dragging the AX86 downstairs again as it won’t pair for AImesh over ethernet. Freaking nightmare this….
Flashing the ROG version of this firmware had nothing to do with your issue. Doing a full reset and hand config may be help with some of your problems. Don't import any saved settings, as this just brings back the issue you're having.

I know, I know, you'll be asking me what I'm even doing on a forum like this right? Maybe you want me to just "get lost"?
Absolutely not! Just click reply and comment outside (below) of the reply area and it will look fine.

Did you try a reset to defaults with a manual, minimum setup before you reverted back to the previous firmware?
Yes.

Wiped and reset router, flashed 3.88.1 again, after reboot, factory restore, then hard reset. Re entered all my settings, which are minimal at best, same WAN disconnect/restart every 5-10 secs, dammed irritating lol, more so for my TV!! Wiped again and reset back to 3.86.8, and it's been going great since I last posted, not one drop, all perfect. Even left router off for an hour, and reset my fibre, but 3.88.1 is no go for me. No worries, I'm just happy to have it stable again :)

Yes.

Wiped and reset router, flashed 3.88.1 again, after reboot, factory restore, then hard reset. Re entered all my settings, which are minimal at best, same WAN disconnect/restart every 5-10 secs, dammed irritating lol, more so for my TV!! Wiped again and reset back to 3.86.8, and it's been going great since I last posted, not one drop, all perfect. Even left router off for an hour, and reset my fibre, but 3.88.1 is no go for me. No worries, I'm just happy to have it stable again :)
Strange!