What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.5.10 -Mar 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Really a bunch of fluff to make it easier for some of the more non-technical users be able to run backups/restores, give them more feedback during the process, and give some options if you wanted to back things up differently. There's definitely some ways to optimize some of the repetitive code, but I haven't gotten to that point yet... But I totally understand... @Jeffrey Young's script is the main engine behind this thing, and can't go wrong there. ;)
Possibly allowing a single page (lite) version installation and the advanced version which has all the other stuff for those who want to backup/restore differently?

Possibly allowing a single page (lite) version installation and the advanced version which has all the other stuff for those who want to backup/restore differently?
Other than pruning perpetual backups, I think it's pretty much done... Not really planning on adding any other major functionality at this point.

By default, with minimal configuration, out-of-the-box, people are set to backup on a monthly basis, which will keep pruning backups each month. I feel that's pretty "lite". If people want to get more fancy, they have the option... but by and large, this tool is really a "set-and-forget" script, and people just need to keep tabs on making sure your backups are continuing to work every so often by taking a look at your backup folders, and scanning the syslogs for any weirdness.

Thanks very much to @Martinski for his example function today... that helped me complete the functionality to delete perpetual backups older than a certain number of days! I really appreciate it! :)

What's new!?
v0.91RC - (September 10, 2023)
- ADDED:
Major new functionality to help purge perpetual backups, with much thanks to @Martinski for supplying a great function to help with this! Under the config menu, when selecting "perpetual" backup frequency, you will have the option to choose whether you want to enable backup purging for everything older than a certain number of days. Once configured, you can access the purge backups functionality under the operations area under the setup menu. This function will step you through multiple prompts before committing to delete any backups, and will show you which backups are affected. PLEASE NOTE: deleting backups is permanent, and advise caution on what you are deleting, and ensure that the list presented to you is what you want deleted. Also, PLEASE NOTE: if there are any backups that you want to save or store for later use, PLEASE move these to a SAFE and otherwise secure location outside of the backup folder structure that BACKUPMON utilizes, else there will be a chance these backups will get deleted. I will be keeping the purge backups utility manual for the time being, giving you more control over when and what gets deleted. I may automate this in the future depending on demand.
- RELEASE CANDIDATE: This completes all work for the release candidate. I will be taking another week to thoroughly test all functionality before releasing v1.0!

Download Link (or update within BACKUPMON's setup menu):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-0.91.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:
The config menu now allows you to configure the purging of backups... please note, this only works when "perpetual" backups are enabled.
1694383517004.png

New item under the operations area under the setup menu, allowing you to purge perpetual backups... only if perpetual backups are enabled.
1694383203835.png

When you enter "pg", you will be presented with the Purge utility... stepping you through, and showing you which folders are going to be deleted based on the age limit you have set.
1694383173409.png

Last edited:
I've encountered an error.
This morning I had to run loads of diagnostics that pointed out scribe was crapping out on me. So part of the rebuild included all my scripts. I went in and downloaded a fresh 0.91RC and I can't get into setup.
I issue the command:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -setup
And I get this response:
Code:
 ERROR: BACKUPMON is not configured.  Please run 'backupmon.sh -setup' first.
What am I doing wrong here as I'm only doing what I did before?
I may just wait for the command to come to life and try it that way.
Selection_001.png

Last edited:
This morning I had to run loads of diagnostics that pointed out scribe was crapping out on me. So part of the rebuild included all my scripts. I went in and downloaded a fresh 0.91RC and I can't get into setup.
I issue the command:
Code:
And I get this response:
Code:
Ahhhh I think I know what happened. Setup is looking for the config file before the config file has even been created , creating a vicious cycle. I will get another fix out there shortly.

I issue the command:
Code:
And I get this response:
Code:
View attachment 53002
This is now fixed... thanks for reporting this, @Ripshod!

What's new?
v0.92RC - (September 12, 2023)
- FIXED:
Issue where when backupmon was newly downloaded and installed, the setup menu would be going through a loop because it was referencing that the .cfg file was not found, and telling you to run setup. All fixed!

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON)
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-0.92.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Here's an idea for you...

Is it possible to backup the router settings?

i.e. reproduce the "Settings_RT-AX86S.CFG" file that gets downloaded from the "Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting" page?

Here's an idea for you...

Is it possible to backup the router settings?

i.e. reproduce the "Settings_RT-AX86S.CFG" file that gets downloaded from the "Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting" page?
I wish it were that easy. Someone actually wrote a utility once that performed this function, but is now being recommended against using. @ColinTaylor made a nice summary about it here... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-nvram-save-restore-utility.61722/post-790744

The best thing still is when resetting, to use the nvram factory defaults when setting your router back up. Less chance of something going wrong with it down the road.

I could probably dump all the settings to a file, but it would be for reference only. You wouldn't be able to import them again.

Enough waiting... I'm satisfied... let's make the official release before the weeeeeeeekend! :)

1694747042792.png

What's new?!
v1.0
- (September 14, 2023)
- RELEASE: I'm satisfied... let's go live!

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.0.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Enough waiting... I'm satisfied... let's make the official release before the weeeeeeeekend! :)

View attachment 53054

What's new?!
v1.0
- (September 14, 2023)
- RELEASE: I'm satisfied... let's go live!

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.0.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"
@thelonelycoder ☺️

Just a little visual bug.
When configuring password, the text shows "username". First config.

Just a question - does it backup/restore the nvram vars?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-15-07-42-34-380_com.server.auditor.ssh.client.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-15-07-42-34-380_com.server.auditor.ssh.client.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I wish it were that easy. Someone actually wrote a utility once that performed this function, but is now being recommended against using. @ColinTaylor made a nice summary about it here... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-nvram-save-restore-utility.61722/post-790744

The best thing still is when resetting, to use the nvram factory defaults when setting your router back up. Less chance of something going wrong with it down the road.

I could probably dump all the settings to a file, but it would be for reference only. You wouldn't be able to import them again.
I'd love to have it as a reference.

I'm currently using a made-by-myself script to daily backup everything to my NAS, and I'm saving a txt file with nvram values.

True. Unfortunately it's made more complicated on the HND models because of the way they store some NVRAM variables in /jffs/data. I mentioned in another post that I don't recommend directly editing these files as it bypasses the router's API and pre-commit cache, potentially leading to corruption. So if one is backing up the whole of /jffs one has to exclude /jffs/data when restoring otherwise you'll end up with some old NVRAM variables that are out of sync with the rest. Arguably the same out-of-sync problem could be said of the /jffs/openvpn directory (and maybe others?).

True. Unfortunately it's made more complicated on the HND models because of the way they store some NVRAM variables in /jffs/data. I mentioned in another post that I don't recommend directly editing these files as it bypasses the router's API and pre-commit cache, potentially leading to corruption. So if one is backing up the whole of /jffs one has to exclude /jffs/data when restoring otherwise you'll end up with some old NVRAM variables that are out of sync with the rest. Arguably the same out-of-sync problem could be said of the /jffs/openvpn directory (and maybe others?).
Yeah, the use case here is to quickly restore jffs/USB back to an already functional and established router... but I get it. If someone wiped their router completely and attempted a restore, that may be a concern.

I still have the original nvram-save.sh script. While it does save the nvram and jffs fine I haven't tried to restore yet (hnd).
Have I just volunteered to be a Guinea pig?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-15-13-19-00-42_e66e28f718147b6e7216efe19a1092f5.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-15-13-19-00-42_e66e28f718147b6e7216efe19a1092f5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: