What's new

[BETA] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I download from that link, I get a zip that contains the March 22nd tarball, which is the version missing all closed source components.

Weird - I extract the zip and it has an April 12th tarball, that like I said, seems to have at least some of the closed source stuff:

/release/src/router/rc/prebuild:
ate-broadcom.o
tcode_brcm.o
tcode_rc.o

/release/src/router/shared/prebuild:
tcode.o

When I download from that link, I get a zip that contains the March 22nd tarball, which is the version missing all closed source components.

The tgz is dated 12th April for me, I confirm that this Asus beta GPL is complete in the sense that it compiles 'out of the box', I haven't tested the firmware but have an image that looks correct size:-

Code:
Creating ASUS RT-N66U firmware to image/RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_380_2695-g1b222cd.trx

TRX Image:
Total Size .... : 29859840 (29160.0 KB) (28.5 MB)
CRC-32 ........ :  5FEE222

md5sum image/RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_380_2695-g1b222cd.trx > image/RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_380_2695-g1b222cd.md5
ln -sf RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_380_2695-g1b222cd.trx image/RT-N66U.trx

The beta merlin compile fails at

Code:
asuswrt-merlin-380.59-beta1/release/src-rt-6.x/router/shared   -c -o nvram.o nvram.c
[nvram] CC nvram
../shared/defaults.o: In function `nvram_default_get':
defaults.c:(.text+0x340): undefined reference to `tcode_default_get'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So I will now start comparing src trees to see what might need to be updated...

[edit]The binaries do fix this issue, I now have the Ubuntu 14.04 issue in libxml2...

Code:
Creating ASUS RT-N66U firmware to image/RT-N66U_380.59_beta1.trx

TRX Image:
 Total Size .... : 24256512 (23688.0 KB) (23.1 MB)
 CRC-32 ........ : 4E60EEC3

Just seems a bit small, I wonder if one of those hundreds of non fatal warnings was important?

Last edited:
Seems that the closed source components were updated in the tree but I have to refrain from using this beta on my AC56U, one of the known issues is traditional QoS not working which is a deal breaker for my network. Will wait for newer versions.

Weird - I extract the zip and it has an April 12th tarball, that like I said, seems to have at least some of the closed source stuff:

/release/src/router/rc/prebuild:
ate-broadcom.o
tcode_brcm.o
tcode_rc.o

/release/src/router/shared/prebuild:
tcode.o

As I said before, out-of-sync servers (or CDN caching perhaps), we're not seeing the same file.

Ok, how would I go about fixing it?

This is a configuration issue, not related to this beta. Make sure you did create the database if you just enabled that feature.

traditional QoS not working which is a deal breaker for my network. Will wait for newer versions.

You might be in for a long wait, as Asus indicated this isn't a priority for them at the moment :(

Damn, 380.58 will stay on my router for a while it seems. To be honest, I am not using the vanilla ASUS QoS, I heavily modify it through the user scripts but it still needs to be somewhat functional. The Trend Micro based QoS I tried, it is vastly inadequate for me since I run a Plex Server and a torrent client plus all the normal traffic.

My router crashed when I tried to copy 350MB of files to a Samba share from a Windows 7 PC over Gigabit wired Ethernet. Firmware is Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 beta 1. Router is RT-AC68U.

Damn, 380.58 will stay on my router for a while it seems. To be honest, I am not using the vanilla ASUS QoS, I heavily modify it through the user scripts but it still needs to be somewhat functional. The Trend Micro based QoS I tried, it is vastly inadequate for me since I run a Plex Server and a torrent client plus all the normal traffic.

If you feel like playing with QOS and are still using a compatible kernel/SDK, feel like experimenting with the commits I've got on the qos branch on Github? I had to drop all my tests on this at the moment due to the current broken QoS support on HEAD.

My router crashed when I tried to copy 350MB of files to a Samba share from a Windows 7 PC over Gigabit wired Ethernet. Firmware is Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 beta 1. Router is RT-AC68U.

Was the Samba share also on the router?

Can you reproduce the issue, and if so, can you confirm if it's new to this beta build, or it also happen in previous releases?

If you feel like playing with QOS and are still using a compatible kernel/SDK, feel like experimenting with the commits I've got on the qos branch on Github? I had to drop all my tests on this at the moment due to the current broken QoS support on HEAD.
I did notice that branch, not exactly sure how I can use it. Can it be merged on top of the 380.58 branch?

I did notice that branch, not exactly sure how I can use it. Can it be merged on top of the 380.58 branch?

It can easily be merged on top of master, however since you are using older code, you might want to generate patches from it, and manually apply those patches on top of your current custom code. Just make sure to apply them in the same order that they are listed, starting with the oldest one, which is 56021a79c85c0a485f2e3a49f3de4cd97bec9227.

It can easily be merged on top of master, however since you are using older code, you might want to generate patches from it, and manually apply those patches on top of your current custom code. Just make sure to apply them in the same order that they are listed, starting with the oldest one, which is 56021a79c85c0a485f2e3a49f3de4cd97bec9227.
I have to use older code since the current one is broken for QoS. I'll make some patches and try to merge them, probably this weekend.

Was the Samba share also on the router?

Can you reproduce the issue, and if so, can you confirm if it's new to this beta build, or it also happen in previous releases?
Yes, the Samba share that I was copying the files to was on the RT-AC68U router. I'm sorry if my words were misleading. The router did not actually crash. As the files were being copied, Windows popped an error dialog saying that the share was no longer available. Then I tried to ping the router IP address 192.168.1.1, but there was no reply from the router. AND, all the lights were still blinking on the router, as normal. So, it seems that the router's LAN interface did crash? If this makes any sense. I had to manually power cycle the router to get it back, since I couldn't SSH or telnet in. When the router did come back, I had to telnet in and manually start Samba (ex: service start_samba). I will try to get a syslog for you, to figure out what happened, and answer your other questions. Thank you.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!