What's new

[BETA] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, the Samba share that I was copying the files to was on the RT-AC68U router. I'm sorry if my words were misleading. The router did not actually crash. As the files were being copied, Windows popped an error dialog saying that the share was no longer available. Then I tried to ping the router IP address 192.168.1.1, but there was no reply from the router. AND, all the lights were still blinking on the router, as normal. So, it seems that the router's LAN interface did crash? If this makes any sense. I had to manually power cycle the router to get it back, since I couldn't SSH or telnet in. When the router did come back, I had to telnet in and manually start Samba (ex: service start_samba). I will try to get a syslog for you, to figure out what happened, and answer your other questions. Thank you.

Also, if you can reproduce it, check the content of /var/log.smbd and /var/log/samba before restarting Samba.

I have to use older code since the current one is broken for QoS. I'll make some patches and try to merge them, probably this weekend.

Have you ever figured out of the QoS breakage came from a Kernel change, or something else? My current theory is it's caused by either the Ethernet switch driver, or the switch to GMAC3 (which should only affect the AC3200 and newer models tho, yet I had problems with the RT-AC87U as well). Reverting either of these would be tricky, as they are tied together.

Have you ever figured out of the QoS breakage came from a Kernel change, or something else? My current theory is it's caused by either the Ethernet switch driver, or the switch to GMAC3 (which should only affect the AC3200 and newer models tho, yet I had problems with the RT-AC87U as well). Reverting either of these would be tricky, as they are tied together.
Unfortunately I haven't figured it out either, but from what you describe sounds like only ASUS can fix it. I don't blame them that they don't prioritize it, this is a consumer oriented line of products and most the buyers will just go for the Adaptive QoS.

Nevertheless, some of us who know better know also the weak spots of it. For my use case, it fails to detect properly torrent traffic, plus many other encrypted streams. Even when it does detect it right, its backend relies on the antiquated HTB scheduler which wreaks havoc with real time streams (VoIP mostly).

Anyway, I know I am on the small minority and this fork is the reason I got my ASUS router, before it I was just using a Linux box, which I still do just as a server box now. But enough with my offtopic ;)

What causes this message in system log:
Apr 27 20:13:13 miniupnpd[780]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer

I don't remember having seen it earlier.
I am using DLNA from Synology NAS via 1 gbit cable to router.
DLNA client is our LG TV connected via 5 ghz to router.
NB: Synology updated both Linux and DLNA on the NAS recently, so it may be a problem in their code. It just surprises me, that it is the router that sees the problem.

Can these messages be filtered out of system log:

Apr 27 20:16:43 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn SRC=192.168.22.8 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 PROTO=2

SRC=192.168.22.8 is the IP addres of the ISP's cable modem. I suspect it is unsolicited TCP/IP packages from outside passing through the modem, which is supposed to have both firewall and NAT. There are two of these every second minute.

Also, if you can reproduce it, check the content of /var/log.smbd and /var/log/samba before restarting Samba.
Well, I cannot reproduce the problem. Now, every time I try it's either the router or Windows 7 is self-regulating or throttling the speed to 12 MB/sec. Whereas before, when the problem occurred, the speed was allowed to drift higher 18-20 MB/sec... in otherwords I watched it climb from 8-10 MB/sec upto 18-20 MB/sec... then bang, "the share is no longer available."

I have banged on it for a good 60 minutes today, by copying many small files and some >1 gigabyte files to and from the router, but cannot crash it or the network interfaces. Good work!!

If it happens again, I suppose the console port is the only way to check /var/log.smbd and /var/log/samba, since both LAN and Wi-Fi connections were down. I'll be ready with a cable already connected to the console port on the board.

Last edited:
Wifi Analyser app on my Samsung tablet shows ASUS 2.4 GHz at channel 7 (2442 MHz)

WirelessNetView.exe from NirSoft on PC with Win10 shows similar information:
- Channel 7 and max speed 450 mbit.

This is surprising, because I had set ASUS wireless (general)
- Band: 2.4 GHz
- Control channel: 11
- Extension channel: below

ASUS itself shows similar, when I hover mouse over green wifi icon in upper right corner, it shows "Wifi: 2.4 GHz channel 7+9".

I would have expected this to show channel 11+9 ...?

The 5 GHz wifi seems correct both from router and on clients at channel 48 with width 80 Mhz

(edited; 7+9, and add comment about 5 GHz)

What causes this message in system log:
Apr 27 20:13:13 miniupnpd[780]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer

I don't remember having seen it earlier.
I am using DLNA from Synology NAS via 1 gbit cable to router.
DLNA client is our LG TV connected via 5 ghz to router.
NB: Synology updated both Linux and DLNA on the NAS recently, so it may be a problem in their code. It just surprises me, that it is the router that sees the problem.

This simply indicates that a device using UPNP is no longer there. Just ignore it, it's merely a warning.

Well, I cannot reproduce the problem. Now, every time I try it's either the router or Windows 7 is self-regulating or throttling the speed to 12 MB/sec. Whereas before, when the problem occurred, the speed was allowed to drift higher 18-20 MB/sec... in otherwords I watched it climb from 8-10 MB/sec upto 18-20 MB/sec... then bang, "the share is no longer available."

I have banged on it for a good hour today by copying many small files and some >1 gigabyte files to and from the router, but cannot crash it or the network interfaces. Good work!!

If it happens again, I suppose the console port is the only way to check /var/log.smbd and /var/log/samba, since both LAN and Wi-Fi connections were down. I'll be ready with a cable already connected to the console port on the board.

My guess is it was a memory starving issue that occurred this particular time. If so, it might be tricky to reproduce under the exact same circumstances. If it happens again and you happen to be able to plug a serial cable in, see if you can retrieve these logs. Also check how much free memory you still have on the router.

Test the DHCP static lease page, as quite a few changes were made to how this page works, to integrate it into Networkmap

Still looking for more user feedback about this updated page. Please test editing, adding and removing entries.

Also, more feedback related to SMB sharing would be appreciated, especially in these areas:

- People who previously had trouble accessing using a username/password, does it work more reliably now that spnego has been enabled?
- Benchmark numbers showing throughout of 380.58 vs 380.59 for the RT-AC68U and RT-AC87U (performance settings were changed for these model's SMB configuration)

If nothing else is reported, there will be at least a second beta release in the coming days.

Thanks!

Weird - I extract the zip and it has an April 12th tarball, that like I said, seems to have at least some of the closed source stuff:

/release/src/router/rc/prebuild:
ate-broadcom.o
tcode_brcm.o
tcode_rc.o

/release/src/router/shared/prebuild:
tcode.o

If you have a working copy of the 2695 archive, can you zip and send me the following files?

Code:
release/src-rt-6.x/wl/sysdeps/RT-N66U/linux/*
release/src-rt/router/shared/prebuilt/*
release/src-rt/router/rc/prebuilt/*

EDIT: Corrected paths, I need the prebuilts, not the sysdep sources.

The other MIPS blobs are generic, and I was able to retrieve from the RT-AC66W tarball.

Last edited:
This simply indicates that a device using UPNP is no longer there. Just ignore it, it's merely a warning.
Ok. Warnings can be useful. If I do have problems with DLNA devices, wouldn't it be useful, if this message at least show what IP or MAC address is involved in that message? I have no idea if it is even possible.

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

Interesting message. I have an AC-3200.

AC87U, Mu-mimo enbled in professional wireless settings page, but no M flags under wireless log page.. So.. Are iPhone 6S or iPad Pro mimo devices?

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

Interesting message. I have an AC-3200.

Clear your browser cache, and also any stored application. This page is actually provided by the browser HTML5 cache, not by the router itself.

AC87U, Mu-mimo enbled in professional wireless settings page, but no M flags under wireless log page.. So.. Are iPhone 6S or iPad Pro mimo devices?

MIMO is not the same as MU-MIMO. Apple has no MU-MIMO capable device right now.

Clear your browser cache, and also any stored application. This page is actually provided by the browser HTML5 cache, not by the router itself.

Ok. Not a big deal, just really weird. I do use an AC-68U at work, so I'm sure that's where is came from - a long time ago.

Still looking for more user feedback about this updated page. Please test editing, adding and removing entries.

Thanks!
Are you talking about the Advance--> Lan-->DHCP Server Tab ate the bottom where it say Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list ?

If so specifically what kind of feedback do you want that is all I use for all devices? I have an AC5300 BTW

If you have a working copy of the 2695 archive, can you zip and send me the following files?

Code:
release/src-rt-6.x/wl/sysdeps/RT-N66U/linux/*
release/src-rt/router/shared/prebuilt/*
release/src-rt/router/rc/prebuilt/*

EDIT: Corrected paths, I need the prebuilts, not the sysdep sources.

The other MIPS blobs are generic, and I was able to retrieve from the RT-AC66W tarball.

Just sent via email.

AC66R here... Flashed beta and seems to be fine. The drivers are the same

Before the flash:
wl0: Sep 2 2015 12:11:24 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

After the Flash:
wl0: Jan 25 2016 17:34:33 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

Strange that asus changed the TX Power adjustment. Before it would say 100% (or lower if you slid it lower) and now it says Performance, Good, Powersaving, ect.

Note: Before the flash, no matter what version I used it always went to control channel 6 (when set to auto). After the flash is the first time it ever went to something else (9 in this case).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online