What's new

[BETA] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here you are. Noticed AC56U mentioned in ate-broadcom.o.

ate.o 44b5f3b523791573ed9d50c543402af6
ate-broadcom.o fee58c0f609b0b8e58dac0f16fd5be88
dsl_fb.o d2e26405b5997041aeff6fdfea4cb23c
dualwan.o f3008f18178698d936d492859b140492
pwdec.o 8f9ce7855fd706a58d574477ac093a83
tcode_brcm.o 9cee319c6b657b42f1d4acc4a3094478
tcode_rc.o 24c64e87aa5565644bfee6ef9458eca7
If you check you will see there are source files: ate.c and dualwan.c. So you could delete all the ate.o and dualwan.o files? I think Yes. However, the RT-AC56U firmware will not compile because of some other missing GPL files. I am currently running the latest beta RT-AC68U firmware, compiled from source, with BWDPI removed. That's how I know.

Here you are. Noticed AC56U mentioned in ate-broadcom.o.

I mean if you compare them with those from a different router model, some of these will be different

I mean if you compare them with those from a different router model, some of these will be different
Ok, I only meant to say the files are there, that they are not missing, except for cfe.o when compared to AC68P GPL. If different or not, I didn't check, I assumed they are the specific ones for this model.
So now everything you need is there to make beta 1 for AC56U or something else missing?

Last edited:
Out of interest, which browser is everyone using when seeing this issue?

Assume the interface is in HTTPS?

I use Safari and haven't noticed any problems.

I know initially Chrome takes some time for me with "Establishing Secure Connection", but that has been that way for most releases for me.

I did have this issue on the first reboot but it seems to have cleared and everything is as responsive as before. It's something I've never experienced before with previous updates.

I'm using HTTP via Chrome on Windows 10 64 bit and the RT-AC3200.

Ok, I only meant to say the files are there, that they are not missing, except for cfe.o when compared to AC68P GPL. If different or not, I didn't check, I assumed they are the specific ones for this model.
So now everything you need is there to make beta 1 for AC56U or something else missing?

I redownloaded the AC56U GPL, and it still fails to extract for me. I suspect their web servers are out of sync and there are two different archives on their servers.

Hello,
on asus rt-ac5300 i have a bug on all new firmwares asus and merlin too, the 2nd 5 ghz radio is available after 10 minutes only, i have changed the router to a new one and on stock 3.0.0.4.380_753 firmware both 5ghz were on from start, on any newer ones it takes for 10 minutes to start and be scanable, same for everytime radios restart like changing something in settings, plus on the old one smartconnect connects me to the 5g-2 when needed, the newer ones avoid and no matter what doesn't connect me to it, i have to disable smartconnect and manually connect to 5ghz-2 to be able to connect to it.

Is it known this bug, i was afraid it was a hardware problem, after rma-ing the first router and seeing here on first firmware that it works it is clearly a firmware bug.
If it is not known, where can i report it to asus it is a dualband router because of this bug. :))
P.S. Tried all settings and all combinations and everything posible, it does the same no matter what.

Thanks!

Reactions: thc
ASUS has this news item for their RT-AC68U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380.2695
- Fixed 2.4G connection issue when disabled NAT acceleration

What is that fix really doing?
I presume it is also included in Asus-Merlin 59_1 beta.

Family members are urging me, not to install Asus-Merlin again, because they prefer stable 2.4 GHz over Merlin's many other nice features.

Can you say something what I can expect, regarding 2.4 GHz wireless stability with Merlin 59_1 beta?

I had been using Asus-Merlin for long time because I especially like the information features. However ongoing problems with 2.4 GHz made me fallback from 57 and 58 to 56_2 . ASUS' beta version has turned out to be much more stable.

It looked like on Asus-Merlin 56_2 gave results:
- Samsung phone S4 (i9506) on 5 GHz gave 80 mbit/sec
- Samsung tablet S10.5 (SM-T800) on 5 GHz gave 80 mbit/sec
- ASUS PC Win10 with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG - 2.4 GHz gave 20-25 mbit (5 meters)
- Lenovo Y50-70 Win10 with Intel AC 3160 - 2.4 GHz gave 30-40 mbit (5 meters)
- LG television W860M (2012) would lose connections every 20 minutes (8 meters)
- Brother 375cw printer could hold connection for weeks

It looked like on Asus (non-Merlin) - 9.0.0.4.380.2695 beta gave results:
- Samsung phone S4 (i9506) on 5 GHz gave 110 mbit/sec
- Samsung tablet S10.5 (SM-T800) on 5 GHz gave 110 mbit/sec
- ASUS PC Win10 with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG - 2.4 GHz gave 70-80 mbit (5 meters)
- Lenovo Y50-70 Win10 with Intel AC 3160 - 2.4 GHz gave 70-80 mbit (5 meters)
- LG television W860M (2012) (too soon to say)
- Brother 375cw printer on 2.4 GHz (too soon to say)

Im noticing that its taking an extremely long time to load the various webpages in the router setting, even after a manual reboot. took 2 minutes to pull the WAN settings page up. Im on an RT-AC68U.
Something's changed, it does seem to go back to normal a few minutes after boot on my AC68u's, both have it, ones in AP mode.

Out of interest, which browser is everyone using when seeing this issue?

Assume the interface is in HTTPS?

I use Safari and haven't noticed any problems.

I know initially Chrome takes some time for me with "Establishing Secure Connection", but that has been that way for most releases for me.

Using chrome and HTTPS I also have issues with router's various pages getting stuck loading on last few releases. Page just freezes and refresh usually will load it instantly. This does not occur when using HTTP page.

Something's changed, it does seem to go back to normal a few minutes after boot on my AC68u's, both have it, ones in AP mode.

I agree with the extremely slow web gui after initial startup on my AC3200 as well. For the first 5-10 minutes of use it takes 30-60 seconds to refresh or show a new web panel. However, after the it has had time to settle in for 5-10 minutes, then the web gui is back to its normally responsive self. This is more just a heads up from me as it really don't pose a problem, unless there is some major underlying bad cause, as I don't plan on rebooting my AC3200 until the next release.

-Stach

I presume it is also included in Asus-Merlin 59_1 beta.

Family members are urging me, not to install Asus-Merlin again, because they prefer stable 2.4 GHz over Merlin's many other nice features.

Can you say something what I can expect, regarding 2.4 GHz wireless stability with Merlin 59_1 beta?

I had been using Asus-Merlin for long time because I especially like the information features. However ongoing problems with 2.4 GHz made me fallback from 57 and 58 to 56_2 . ASUS' beta version has turned out to be much more stable.

It looked like on Asus-Merlin 56_2 gave results:
- Samsung phone S4 (i9506) on 5 GHz gave 80 mbit/sec
- Samsung tablet S10.5 (SM-T800) on 5 GHz gave 80 mbit/sec
- ASUS PC Win10 with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG - 2.4 GHz gave 20-25 mbit (5 meters)
- Lenovo Y50-70 Win10 with Intel AC 3160 - 2.4 GHz gave 30-40 mbit (5 meters)
- LG television W860M (2012) would lose connections every 20 minutes (8 meters)
- Brother 375cw printer could hold connection for weeks

It looked like on Asus (non-Merlin) - 9.0.0.4.380.2695 beta gave results:
- Samsung phone S4 (i9506) on 5 GHz gave 110 mbit/sec
- Samsung tablet S10.5 (SM-T800) on 5 GHz gave 110 mbit/sec
- ASUS PC Win10 with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG - 2.4 GHz gave 70-80 mbit (5 meters)
- Lenovo Y50-70 Win10 with Intel AC 3160 - 2.4 GHz gave 70-80 mbit (5 meters)
- LG television W860M (2012) (too soon to say)
- Brother 375cw printer on 2.4 GHz (too soon to say)

I'm finding the wireless just as stable on Merlin's beta as the Asus beta.

Previous 380_xxxx firmwares from Asus for the RT-AC68U would have the 2.4 GHz become mostly unusable when you disabled NAT acceleration. This was affecting Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57. In 380.58, I was reverting back to an older wireless driver that didn't have the issue. 380.59 includes the newer, fixed wireless driver from Asus.

The NAT acceleration related issue has been already fixed in my firmware since 380.58.

I agree with the extremely slow web gui after initial startup on my AC3200 as well. For the first 5-10 minutes of use it takes 30-60 seconds to refresh or show a new web panel. However, after the it has had time to settle in for 5-10 minutes, then the web gui is back to its normally responsive self. This is more just a heads up from me as it really don't pose a problem, unless there is some major underlying bad cause, as I don't plan on rebooting my AC3200 until the next release.

The issue was reported by users in a few of the recent Asus updates. I suspect that they recently changed something that requires a CPU-intensive maintenance to be performed the first time you upgrade to one of the recent firmware releases. I have no idea what it is, since it typically only occurs the first time you update to one of the recent firmware releases, and it never reappears again afterward.

One potential example (not saying that's the case, it's just an example) could be the Traffic Analyzer database that would no longer be allowed to grow into gargantuan sizes, and might be deleting a lot of older entries the first time you run a firmware release with that.

Previous 380_xxxx firmwares from Asus for the RT-AC68U would have the 2.4 GHz become mostly unusable when you disabled NAT acceleration. This was affecting Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57. In 380.58, I was reverting back to an older wireless driver that didn't have the issue. 380.59 includes the newer, fixed wireless driver from Asus.

The NAT acceleration related issue has been already fixed in my firmware since 380.58.

The fix in 58 was definitely better than 57, but still not good enough.
Family demanded fallback to 56_2 after 5 days, and even then still had problems.

Will try 59_1 beta, and see if family discover any difference :)

ASUS should be worried, because I was happy for 8 years with my D-Link DIR-655, and ASUS still has not lived up to my expectations after one year. The reviews and reports I read before I bought it, now seems much too optimistic ... I really hope these fixes will finally change my perception of this ASUS product.
"Burnt child is shy of fire" - TP-Link Archer C9 was close to a sale, before these new fixes.

The fix in 58 was definitely better than 57, but still not good enough.
Family demanded fallback to 56_2 after 5 days, and even then still had problems.

Will try 59_1 beta, and see if family discover any difference :)

ASUS should be worried, because I was happy for 8 years with my D-Link DIR-655, and ASUS still has not lived up to my expectations after one year. The reviews and reports I read before I bought it, now seems much too optimistic ... I really hope these fixes will finally change my perception of this ASUS product.
"Burnt child is shy of fire" - TP-Link Archer C9 was close to a sale, before these new fixes.
Well hell boy, I hope family approves. We certainly wouldn't want ASUS worried that you may get your DLINK back out of the closet :) HA. On a serious note, I too had the DIR-655 for years but I can tell you hands down the ASUS AC66 is miles better. Throughput was no match between the two nor is the wireless signal/distance. Not even close if you have fast internet 250+ ( if like 15/1 connection maybe not a lot difference) but I topped out at 200mb on a 1gb connection with Ethernet on the Dlink. The ASUS I get 650-900mb consistently via ethernet and 100mb on wireless N card laptop and 280-300 on 5ghz channel with iPhone 6s. DLINK Dir-655 could never compete with that or even come close.

On a side note, Merlins code is basically ASUS 's code on steroids. With some added enhancements and patches before ASUS ever does anything. So point is the things you are mentioning are typically an ASUS issue. RMerlin will patch and tweak parts that ASUS missed or got wrong in the areas that he can. But some of the code is closed source and he has no control. So in the latest build, he is based on the ASUS beta code that is available. (380.2697) so should have the same fixes ASUS has PLUS his own finds they missed. In addition to his feature adds that you say you like.

I redownloaded the AC56U GPL, and it still fails to extract for me. I suspect their web servers are out of sync and there are two different archives on their servers.

I've downloaded it around 7:50PM Montreal time ( EST ) and besides symbolic links errors everything extracted fine. You might have some RAM issues?

Well hell boy, I hope family approves. We certainly wouldn't want ASUS worried that you may get your DLINK back out of the closet :)
That's exactly what I did! :-D Before I tried ASUS' official beta, I had the family try the old D-Link router, and they agreed it wasn't better.

ASUS should be glad they have Merlin to keep them on their toes. It is the prime reason that I still use their product. I just wanted to know, how much extra tweks there were on the 2.4 GHz driver, and it was good to know, that ASUS themselves recognised problems in their code.

Have activated Merlin 59_1 beta. We'll see if family discovers anything. The initial tests looks really good.

I've downloaded it around 7:50PM Montreal time ( EST ) and besides symbolic links errors everything extracted fine. You might have some RAM issues?

I highly doubt there's any issue with the RAM of my desktop AND laptop, and that both Winrar, 7zip AND Linux unzip also are having issues. There are definitively a bunch of corrupted archives on both the Asuswebstorage AND some of their clustered web servers.

Their web servers are clustered. That's why sometimes when they upload a new firmware, some people can see it and others can't, and it can take 24-48 hours before everyone sees the same thing.

Throughput was no match between the two nor is the wireless signal/distance. Not even close if you have fast internet 250+ ( if like 15/1 connection maybe not a lot difference) but I topped out at 200mb on a 1gb connection with Ethernet on the Dlink. The ASUS I get 650-900mb consistently via ethernet and 100mb on wireless N card laptop and 280-300 on 5ghz channel with iPhone 6s. DLINK Dir-655 could never compete with that or even come close.

Just out of interest, I was wondering what are people using to measure these reported speeds?

I cross compiled iperf3 to run on the router (it sits on my /jffs and I ssh in and run it manually when needed) but that's there largely to check the powerline networking I'm using (200mb at worst, but I have seen it max out gigabit connections at times), but are people testing throughput between clients or SMB file copies or what?

Just out of interest, I was wondering what are people using to measure these reported speeds?
I use http://www.speedtest.net by Ookla. It measueres not only speed between PC and Router, but also speed through the ISP. There is also an app for Android. I am satisfied, when I get near 120 mbit/sec, which is what my ISP promises me.

Looking at connected link speed between router and AC-type clients, I get up to 866 mbit/sec, but I have never seen that kind of speed in practical use. The cabled connections at 1 gbit/sec between router and PC, usually gets *less* throughput to speedtest.net, about 100 mbit, where mobile gets 115 mbit over AC-type wireless.

Copying large files via Samba seems to be slowed by disk speed, not by network speed. Often starts out at 600-700 mbit/sec (both devices are cabled through router), and then drops to steady 400 mbit/sec, which seems to be the disk speed limit. If I had SSD disks, it might be faster. I have not tried the built-in Samba server with USB3-disks on the router itself.

Tried for fun with SFTP a 2 GB file from 1 Gbit/s Cabled fileserver (Synology) via AC-wireless 866 mbit/s, and it only worked at 25 mbit/sec ... slow disk in my Samsung S10.5 tablet. AC68U show about 5-15% CPU load. Synology fileserver show 40-80% CPU load. The tablet scores 115 mbit/s on speedtest.net, right after SFTP had finished.
"a chain can not be stronger than its weakest link"

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online