What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I uploaded a very early test builds with the new AX SDK merged in. This has only received some basic testing (i.e. my two wifi devices over the past two hours).

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds

I haven't decided yet if I will go with it for 384.14 or not. It will depend how much extended testing it requires, since the 384.14 dev cycle has already been pretty long, and was getting closer to its end.

So, I lived dangerously & installed this. Dirty upgrade, no reset. ;-)
A bit of hesitancy from my Apple devices to connect wifi when I changed 2.4 & 5ghz to Wpa2/3 Personal, but they seem to have gotten over that.
Plus, I had to disable IPv6, then re-enable, to get IPv6 working again.
All seems ok now.......

[Edit] Skynet left the field of play. ‘Restart Skynet’ & all is smiles once more.

As noted in another post, AiProtect sees Wpa2/3 Personal as being “weak”.

Last edited:
Couple of things I have noticed, after factory reset.

1. 5 Ghz by default to 160 Mhz wide channel
So it is (20/40/80/160)
2. Router operate slightly cooler.
3. Router security Assessment under trend micro report incorrect status for password strength and encryption when wpa2/3 is selected. I already file a bug report since it exist in original Asus firmware as well.

Last edited:
I uploaded a very early test builds with the new AX SDK merged in. This has only received some basic testing (i.e. my two wifi devices over the past two hours).

RMerlin,

When I attempt to make changes to items in Administration - System Tab (such as Format JFFS partition, etc) I found that I am unable to click on the "Apply" button. I was moving from Stock FW 3.0.0.4_384_7756 to this test build. followed by Factory Reset. I am on macOS Catalina using Safari not sure if it matters.

I went back to the recent 834.14_beta 2, factory reset, now I am able to click the "Apply" button on the Administration - System Tab to format JFFS partition. :)I am going to complete my setup for my AiMesh environement, than do a dirty flash to this test build.

Edit:
As reported earlier that the “Apply” Button in Administration - System Tab for AX88U cannot be clicked, therefore, I am unable to make any changes on this page.

Workaround: Flash earlier 834.14_Beta2 FW, factory rest, do all the settings, Dirty Flash Test build with AX. I am happy to report that it has been running for about 1.5 days without issue :)

I generally used Merlin’s default settings, The following are changes and Features I use (for comparison):
  • AiMesh (Router: AX88U with 2x Nodes: AC86U)
  • AiProtection
  • Wireless
    • Smart Connect,
    • 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode,
    • WiFi Agile Multiband,
    • WPA2/WPA3-Personal Authentication
    • AES WPA Encryption
    • Fixed Channel Bandwidth & Control Channel (2.4GHz: 20 MHz & 11, 5.0GHz: 80MHz & 36)
  • LAN
    • Manually Assigned IP in DHCP list (around 30 devices)
    • Bonding / Link aggregation with my Synology NAS
  • WAN
    • DNS-over-TLS (DoT) using CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1
    • DDNS using ?????.asuscomm.com (LE HTTPS/SSL Certificate Status: Updating)
  • VPN
    • OpenVPN
  • Administration
    • Enable JFFS
    • Enable SSH using non standard port
    • USB 2.0, formated ext4
  • Scripts
    • AMTM
    • Diversion
    • SkyNet

Last edited:
RMerlin,

When I attempt to make changes to items in Administration - System Tab (such as Format JFFS partition, etc) I found that I am unable to click on the "Apply" button. I was moving from Stock FW 3.0.0.4_384_7756 to this test build. followed by Factory Reset. I am on macOS Catalina using Safari not sure if it matters.

I went back to the recent 834.14_beta 2, factory reset, now I am able to click the "Apply" button on the Administration - System Tab to format JFFS partition. :)I am going to complete my setup for my AiMesh environement, than do a dirty flash to this test build.
I'm having the same issue even with a factory reset the apply button seems to be bugged out for me also.

RMerlin,

I tried on firefox with clean setup and still have same issue as yours, not able to click apply button. In my case I factory reset to see if it works, but it doesn't work.

Dirty flash on my RT-AC86U from 384.13 to 384.14_beta2 - rock steady and all addons per signature behaving properly.

I had tried beta1 - with full factory reset etc - but issues [mainly Roaming Assist crashes] caused me to revert to 384.13 stable.
The issues I raised on prior beta1 now resolved by beta2 - including Let's Encrypt and Roaming Assist. :D.

EXCELLENT work as usual {Thumbs Up}

I haven't decided yet if I will go with it for 384.14 or not. It will depend how much extended testing it requires, since the 384.14 dev cycle has already been pretty long, and was getting closer to its end.

Seems like the QOS classification page graph is failing to keep stats for most connections. Everything else so far seems to be working as expected

Better calmly.

My QoS bufferbloat control isn't working on the latest beta .

I'm having the same issue even with a factory reset the apply button seems to be bugged out for me also.
So far I agree (the apply button on system page, not working) this is the only issue so far, in regards to the test build on the AX88U.

So far I agree (the apply button on system page, not working) this is the only issue so far, in regards to the test build on the AX88U.
Spoke a tad to soon, I know the log will have some entries but I haven't seen this since 384.11.2.
Code:
Nov 28 05:53:37 rc_service: watchdog 1409:notify_rc stop_aae
Nov 28 05:53:37 rc_service: watchdog 1409:notify_rc start_mastiff
Nov 28 05:53:37 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Nov 28 05:53:37 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Nov 28 05:53:37 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Nov 28 05:53:38 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Nov 28 05:53:38 AAE: AAE Service is started
Nov 28 05:53:38 Mastiff: init
This seems to be tied to Asusnat.

Do you recommend a factory reset after installation?

As a side, I tried stock 3.0.0.4.384.7756 yesterday. Was running 384.14 b2 on my AX88U. Did the install, factory reset and reconfigured settings. Did not enable AIMesh which I was running on 384.14.
Everything worked except 2 Amazon Echos. I tried to set up my main floor Echo (used by my wife as a music player and timer ;-). No go no matter what I did to reconnect it. It would pop up with an IP address on the Client list - then disappear...
Glad I did a jffs backup and Save settings before I tried the new stock FW.
Back to 384.14 B2 and back to a happy wife.

I will give this test-build a spin later this morning.

Do you recommend a factory reset after installation?
JGrana,
Not a good idea, read our earlier posts ... "Apply" button under Administration - System Tab, not working.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I face this problem on RT-AX88U

Last edited:
It can be kept empty, but personally I recommend entering something like myhome.lan. If you were to connect remotely back home, you'd be able to easily resolve LAN hostnames by specifying the domain name (which will instruct your client it should use the VPN's DNS for resolving that hostname).
RMerlin,

Sorry, if this is a dumb question :(

I normally left my LAN -> LAN IP -> “RT-AX88U’s Domain Name” field Empty.
However, after reading your post I tried it earlier and discovered that in WAN -> DDNS -> Server Certificate -> SAN: I got a long list as shown.

Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 8.38.42 PM.png

I removed the Domain Name, however, the list is the same. How can I remove the long list in SAN, so that I get my usual list consists of :
  • my Router IP Address,
  • router.asus.com
  • Asus DDNS name
If not I will wait till your next update to do a factory reset, Thanks :)

JGrana,
Not a good idea, read our earlier posts ... "Apply" button under Administration - System Tab, not working.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I face this problem on RT-AX88U
Thanks! Kind of tough to enable SSH eh?

I removed the Domain Name, however, the list is the same. How can I remove the long list in SAN, so that I get my usual list consists of :
  • my Router IP Address,
  • router.asus.com
  • Asus DDNS name

The LAN hostname is automatically added by default, which does make sense to me.

Thanks! Kind of tough to enable SSH eh?
I had that happen on AC86U with beta 2.

I changed the SSH port to 88, saved, changed port to 22, saved with no issues then. Somehow that and other fields are not read until a change and save, then all work.

Asus did a lot of changes related to SSH port validation on the System page, some of these changes conflict with my own, and some were flat out wrong in the previous GPL release. I haven't had time to re-harmonize the content of that page yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!