What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
By regulations, I mean legal regulations. It's illegal to bypass the power limitations that are allowed in one's region, therefore I don't support it.

As for the clock, some people were able to bypass it through scripting. I don't remember the details however, you will have to do a forum search to track down previous discussions about it.
In my region, I'm allow to trasnsmit up to 1 watt of power before needing a license.

It is not illegal to assist people with technical information and methods.

You are just some random person on the internet. You can not be held responsible because someone else didn't do their research.

I have visited about 3 counties worth of police departments asking about legal information and ramafications (idk how to spell this word) of this aid they all said the same thing as I did here:

YOU should not have to worry if someone ended up in court being sued by the FCC cause they didn't do research.

Don't be scared to share knowledge.

At LEAST, could you private message me with at the minimum where I could look in the firmware to adjust these limitations?

Every type of technical information will always have someone who messed it up somehow, but we still teach others how to modify their games, their graphics cards, electronics, etc.

In my region, I'm allow to trasnsmit up to 1 watt of power before needing a license.

You are just some random person on the internet. You can not be held responsible because someone else didn't do their research.

I have visited about 3 counties worth of police departments asking about legal information and ramafications (idk how to spell this word) of this aid they all said the same thing as I did here:

YOU should not have to worry if someone ended up in court being sued by the FCC cause they didn't do research.

Don't be scared to share knowledge.

At LEAST, could you private message me with at the minimum where I could look in the firmware to adjust these limitations?

Every type of technical information will always have someone who messed it up somehow, but we still teach others how to modify their games, their graphics cards, electronics, etc.

I think you are missing the point of the Asuswrt-Merlin project. Eric (aka Merlin) fixes bugs when/where possible and to a limited degree, has improved the Asus firmware. This is not the "how to hack my Asus router to make it do anything I want" forum. There are other projects, like DD-WRT, that try to do exactly that.

I think you are missing the point of the Asuswrt-Merlin project. Eric (aka Merlin) fixes bugs when/where possible and to a limited degree, has improved the Asus firmware. This is not the "how to hack my Asus router to make it do anything I want" forum. There are other projects, like DD-WRT, that try to do exactly that.
I'll accept this explanation.

This is professional.

@RypeDub

Plus, it's of limited use....
- remember there are two ends to the connection and you are only addressing one of them
- the increased power increases noise
- you can 'overdrive' close clients degrading performance
- it's a lot of guesswork, since the register definitions are proprietary
- it's not a 'neighborly' thing to do, as it can interfere with others

It's a complicated story... The shorter version:

A few years ago, the FCC implemented new rules in North America requiring router manufacturers to prevent bypassing local power limitations. This forced manufacturers like Asus to close access to the source code controlling regions and power output, and to actively enforce limitations (manually changing these parameter will get overriden by the proprietary code within the firmware). If a device is found to allow third parties to bypass power regulations, then the FCC can slam the manufacturer for it, potentially banning their devices from being sold as being non-compliant.

So if I were to find out a way to bypass these regulations and were to apply them, the FCC would require Asus to step in to ensure this is no longer possible, or face a sales ban. For Asus to be able to completely prevent such a bypass would require them to completely shut down access to third parties, terminating ALL third party firmware projects from running on their products.

Add to that the fact that I work with Asus's support (I am frequently in touch with product managers and developers back at their Taiwanese HQ).

So any kind of power control/bypass from me or my firmware is not gonna happen. I'm not gonna cause my project (and countless others) to be terminated because of that.

It seems dnsomatic needs a blank hostname or it will throw that error, do you know what file it writes to so I can edit it out and test it?

I created a test account. Looks like the error message can simply be ignored. When I test it in debug mode, it does complete the update procedure:

Code:
admin@Stargate88:/jffs# inadyn -1 -f /jffs/inadyn-dnsomatic.conf -l debug -n
inadyn[27979]: In-a-dyn version 2.4 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
inadyn[27979]: Failed resolving hostname all.dnsomatic.com: Name or service not known

...snip...

inadyn[27979]: Sending alias table update to DDNS server: GET /nic/update?hostname=all.dnsomatic.com&myip=23.x.y.z HTTP/1.0
Host: updates.dnsomatic.com
Authorization: Basic Uk...==
User-Agent: inadyn/2.4 https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues
inadyn[27979]: Successfully sent HTTPS request!
inadyn[27979]: Successfully received HTTPS response (273 bytes)!
inadyn[27979]: DDNS server response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 03:35:49 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 19
Connection: close
Accept-Ranges: bytes
X-Varnish: 3576007711
Via: 1.1 varnish
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
good 23.x.y.z
inadyn[27979]: Successful alias table update for all.dnsomatic.com => new IP# 23.x.y.z
inadyn[27979]: Updating cache for all.dnsomatic.com

I just need to do more tests to ensure that the watchdog doesn't get fooled by this reported failure.

The hostname field is present on the webui even when using DNS-o-matic, you can simply enter one of your hostnames in there, and it will get used by Inadyn. DNS-o-matic should still take care of updating all your associated accounts (if you have multiple DDNS service accounts tied to it)

A blank hostname won't work any better than having an invalid one, and it will cause more issues in fact since inadyn creates its local cache based on the hostname value.

The hostname field is present on the webui even when using DNS-o-matic, you can simply enter one of your hostnames in there, and it will get used by Inadyn. DNS-o-matic should still take care of updating all your associated accounts (if you have multiple DDNS service accounts tied to it)

A blank hostname won't work any better than having an invalid one, and it will cause more issues in fact since inadyn creates its local cache based on the hostname value.
Great, thanks for checking it out for me. I had always followed the
inadyn guide that said you needed all.dnsomatic.com and never assumed I could use my own domain. Appreciate the help as I know you're a busy man :)

7 days uptime on this beta and nothing to report

except these messages: ( I know this is asus bug ) :)

*jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -49

Jul 8 13:23:44 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Jul 8 13:24:31 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jul 8 13:24:32 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.

* So i dont think this this is related to the Bios PC ( see link below )

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/first-tests-of-rt-ac86u-on-384-7-alpha1.48197/page-4#post-427926

In that case unless Asus decides to keep issuing firmware updates (unlikely based on what's written at the top of that page) then it also means 384.6 will probably be the end of the road for my firmware on that model as well. Too much closed source components, they break backward compatibility every few firmware releases.

I can't remember when was the last time I resetted my primary router (an RT-AC88U).

I don't have any additional information to share about any of these, sorry. Based on their vague descriptions, I'd suspect they're all only exploitable LAN-side, or if you still persist in opening your router's webui to the WAN despite numerous warnings not to, so personally, I'm not losing any sleep over any of these issues.

wIL 384.7 BE RELEASED for the rt AC3200 , OR IS THE 3200 Nno longer to be supported by Merlin FW ?
sO FAR BEEN 6 WEEKS AND NO PHONE CALL THAT THE ROUTER HAS CRASHED . STILL running 384.6 seems stable , of course have not been able to check the log file

wIL 384.7 BE RELEASED for the rt AC3200 , OR IS THE 3200 Nno longer to be supported by Merlin FW ?
sO FAR BEEN 6 WEEKS AND NO PHONE CALL THAT THE ROUTER HAS CRASHED . STILL running 384.6 seems stable , of course have not been able to check the log file
Whoa caps chill please, is there a new firmware form Asus for it yet if so you have to wait for the following to be given to Merlin if not you have to wait.

Hi @jerry6,
  • 384.7 will not be released for the RT-AC3200.
  • If I understood correctly, the release of Asus firmware was not in time to be included for 384.7 and an older release was not backwards compatible.
  • Eric wrote a few pages back (click for message) that he wasn't able to include the update without delaying the release of 384.7.
  • Hopefully the RT-AC3200 will be supported again by the next update, 384.8.
  • Glad to hear everything is still running smoothly at home :) Hopefully the same goes for your recovery.
Get well soon!
Wishing you all the best,
Your fellow SNB forum members

I created a test account. Looks like the error message can simply be ignored. When I test it in debug mode, it does complete the update procedure:

Code:
admin@Stargate88:/jffs# inadyn -1 -f /jffs/inadyn-dnsomatic.conf -l debug -n
inadyn[27979]: In-a-dyn version 2.4 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
inadyn[27979]: Failed resolving hostname all.dnsomatic.com: Name or service not known

...snip...

inadyn[27979]: Sending alias table update to DDNS server: GET /nic/update?hostname=all.dnsomatic.com&myip=23.x.y.z HTTP/1.0
Host: updates.dnsomatic.com
Authorization: Basic Uk...==
User-Agent: inadyn/2.4 https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues
inadyn[27979]: Successfully sent HTTPS request!
inadyn[27979]: Successfully received HTTPS response (273 bytes)!
inadyn[27979]: DDNS server response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 03:35:49 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 19
Connection: close
Accept-Ranges: bytes
X-Varnish: 3576007711
Via: 1.1 varnish
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
good 23.x.y.z
inadyn[27979]: Successful alias table update for all.dnsomatic.com => new IP# 23.x.y.z
inadyn[27979]: Updating cache for all.dnsomatic.com

I just need to do more tests to ensure that the watchdog doesn't get fooled by this reported failure.
I changed it to my domain and now I have several of these since.

Code:
Sep 23 22:28:19 rc_service: watchdog 268:notify_rc start_ddns
Sep 23 22:28:19 start_ddns: update WWW.DNSOMATIC.COM default@dnsomatic.com, wan_unit 0

I changed it to my domain and now I have several of these since.

Code:
Sep 23 22:28:19 rc_service: watchdog 268:notify_rc start_ddns
Sep 23 22:28:19 start_ddns: update WWW.DNSOMATIC.COM default@dnsomatic.com, wan_unit 0

Can't reproduce here. Make sure you don't have a custom script interfering with the firmware's own updates. These watchdog updates should only occur if the last update failed. Also, enable debug mode (ddns_debug=1) to ensure your updates are successfully completed.

Neither. Asus hasn't released any new firmware for that model, and the last released firmware is not compatible with the GPL code 384.7 is based on.

Where do I add the debug line?
Thanks.
Can't reproduce here. Make sure you don't have a custom script interfering with the firmware's own updates. These watchdog updates should only occur if the last update failed. Also, enable debug mode (ddns_debug=1) to ensure your updates are successfully completed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Beta 2 is now available. Changes since beta 1:

Code:
8d9cf9bb1 rc: remove temp file accidentally commited with e2b8ce3c6abfc8b38186cc61d967c97cba25c0d2
e563f8df0 Updated documentation
4baece1d3 webui: clarify the forced DDNS parameter
0a283695e rc: reset the forced ddns update timer when ddns_check() forces an update
e2b8ce3c6 rc: ensure we do issue a forced DDNS update after "x" days
773ba2049 webui: only display an OpenVPN client/router status table if it actually has content
ec12f5a06 nano: updated to 3.1.
8bf340922 rc: inadyn: trying a different update URL for selfhost.de that's closer to Asus's ez-ipupdate implementation
93e0b2f0e Bumped revision to beta 2

Where do I add the debug line?

It's an nvram setting. Over SSH:

Code:
nvram set ddns_debug=1
nvram commit
service restart_ddns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!