What's new

Cascade new wireless E4200 off wired gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

holyterror

New Around Here
How do I cascade e4200 wireless router off existing gateway wired router which serves the office network. The cable internet modem will plug into e4200. The existing wired gateway is 192.168.2.1. According to linksys knowledgebase i reassign default ip on e4200. Default is 192.168.1.1. so if I reassign e4200 ip to 192.168.2.xx then entire network should have internet access? I plug a cat cable from any of the e4200 1-4 port and in to any of the wired gateway 1-4 ports and that should do it. I'm not at the office right now so checking to see if I have the right general idea before I go to the office.

Thx

What are you trying to do with the two routers? A connection diagram would be helpful.

Setting up your router to be a non-gateway router

It sounds like you are trying to create two separate networks and allowing the second network to pass through the first to get to the internet.

Typically you can just allow the router 2 to connect to router 1 (internet router) by using the WAN port of Router 2 into the switch port of router 1. However the issue is that you cannot access network 2 from network 1 (note I said network and not hosts, port forwarding can do this but very messy).

With the E4200, you can actually put the router into Routing mode instead of Gateway mode on router 2, however you will need to setup static routes on router 1. There is still more things that will need to be setup on Router 2 for network 1 to access network 2 as far as network broadcasts go, but it should still work and you won't have to worry about Network Address Port Translation between the two networks.

Refer to http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online