What's new

Development update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin have you given a thought of implementing this script in an upcoming release?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14300

- Next build will introduce a new type of user scripts, called postconf scripts. Essentially, those scripts are run after the router has dynamically generated a config file (for example, dnsmasq.conf), and before the service gets started. This will allow advanced user to do all kind of manipulations on the generated config file through shell utilities such as sed. A basic example would be replacing a line in the generated config file with another line.

I have one request hopefully you can fill.

Please add a "Wireless Status" in your firmware, something similar to what you would find in a DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ddwrtwifi.png
    ddwrtwifi.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 335
Be nice not to have to switch from your build to Tomato for openvpn. Any chance for RT-N16?

None. I don't want to spend weeks adapting OpenVPN for a router model that is already many years old.

Hi Rmerlin,

Can you add the following line to the lighttpd.conf

server.reject-expect-100-with-417 = "disable"

Works better with WebDAV apps.

The built-in lighttpd is strictly dedicated to AiCloud. You should not use it for anything else, as Asus has modified it for AiCloud's needs.

Also minor bug found that seems to be in stock firmware now is that when you use a custom port for AiCloud it doesn't use that in the shared link manager.
It uses the default from there without the custom port number.

Cheers!

A good portion of AiCloud is closed source, so not much I can do about it.

Hi Merlin,

thanks for your update. I really love your work on the Asus routers!

I do have 2 (old) feature request and hopefully it is not too much work to make them happen. Thank you VERY VERY much in advance!

- Please disable Dual WAN, i do have a lot of problems and the 3g failover is not working anymore (only sometimes, many problems)

You can disable it on the Dual WAN page.

If something is still broken with it then this is something Asus will have to take care of. I have no way of testing 3G/4G device support.

The built-in lighttpd is strictly dedicated to AiCloud. You should not use it for anything else, as Asus has modified it for AiCloud's needs.

A good portion of AiCloud is closed source, so not much I can do about it.

Thanks for the reply RMerlin.

I would use the standard AiCould app but it has major shortcomings so that's why I'm using FolderSync.

No problem I will make the adjustment myself.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hello Merlin (and hello to all the members because this is my first post).
It is possible to port the GCC toolchain into the repository?
I see some other language compiler (good, I'm interested to the Erlang lang.) and debugger, but NOT a C compiler...

Bye and sorry for my bad english, Federico

Hello Merlin (and hello to all the members because this is my first post).
It is possible to port the GCC toolchain into the repository?
I see some other language compiler (good, I'm interested to the Erlang lang.) and debugger, but NOT a C compiler...

Bye and sorry for my bad english, Federico

What repository are you referring to? The toolchains required to compile the firmware are part of the Asuswrt-Merlin repo on Github.

MIPS: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/toolchain
ARM: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains

What repository are you referring to? The toolchains required to compile the firmware are part of the Asuswrt-Merlin repo on Github.

MIPS: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/toolchain
ARM: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/tree/master/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains

Hi RMerlin,
I'm using an Asus RT-N66U with AsusWRT Merlin.
I'm non interested to recompile your great firmware, but only to develop software into the router using SSH & vi :D
To do this job, I need the GNU developing tools (gcc, gdb, libs etc etc).

Federico

Are you supplying the names through the DHCP reservation page, or relying strictly on the client devices providing their own hostnames?

100% through reservation page, at least that is my goal. I was using the traffic monitor to determine the "non-static" ones, but long story short, I bricked my router with a password change oldtimers (and shame on me for not making a backup BEFORE changing it), and had to go back to a March Config. So I am slowly finding ones that are missing, that showed up since then.

I mainly do this because some names are meaningless, like android-xyz. It seemed to work really good a while ago (how I discovered my son's friends devices on my core, vs guest, network), but seems to be degrading, which is also why I am a fan of the delay / timeout ideas. If it takes a while per address, maybe it cycles back to the start due to some timeout and never resolves some of them. Traffic monitor worked great at some point, but now is almost 100% IP's. I am not sure if that is firmware rev based or actually based on yet more ips / connected devices at this point, making the timing issue worse. I have 25 routed devices defined in the DCHP page, but obviously they are not all active at once (like TV's, BluRays, tablets, etc, etc).

Here is a good example, but this could be a red herring, if this works differently than I am assuming. Right now, my "client list says "12", 8 of which have names listed vs ips. If I go to your traffic monitor (real time), it says 20 hosts, 19 of them are ips, and six of the "ips" have parens around them. No idea what parens vs non-parens mean, but I figured the more data the better.

PS: I can test any betas, if you want to work this area. I will also be off, but only check this thread once a day. I can send you my email, if you want a faster test.

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,
I'm using an Asus RT-N66U with AsusWRT Merlin.
I'm non interested to recompile your great firmware, but only to develop software into the router using SSH & vi :D
To do this job, I need the GNU developing tools (gcc, gdb, libs etc etc).

Federico

You're asking the wrong person. I don't maintain any software repository.

100% through reservation page, at least that is my goal. I was using the traffic monitor to determine the "non-static" ones, but long story short, I bricked my router with a password change oldtimers (and shame on me for not making a backup BEFORE changing it), and had to go back to a March Config. So I am slowly finding ones that are missing, that showed up since then.

I mainly do this because some names are meaningless, like android-xyz. It seemed to work really good a while ago (how I discovered my son's friends devices on my core, vs guest, network), but seems to be degrading, which is also why I am a fan of the delay / timeout ideas. If it takes a while per address, maybe it cycles back to the start due to some timeout and never resolves some of them. Traffic monitor worked great at some point, but now is almost 100% IP's. I am not sure if that is firmware rev based or actually based on yet more ips / connected devices at this point, making the timing issue worse. I have 25 routed devices defined in the DCHP page, but obviously they are not all active at once (like TV's, BluRays, tablets, etc, etc).

Parenthesis around an IP means that device does have a hostname. If there is no name next to it then it seems like the device provides an empty hostname for some reason. Or, you might have an invalid hostname (for example, one with a single quote in it), causing a Javascript error.

Here is a good example, but this could be a red herring, if this works differently than I am assuming. Right now, my "client list says "12", 8 of which have names listed vs ips. If I go to your traffic monitor (real time), it says 20 hosts, 19 of them are ips, and six of the "ips" have parens around them. No idea what parens vs non-parens mean, but I figured the more data the better.

PS: I can test any betas, if you want to work this area. I will also be off, but only check this thread once a day. I can send you my email, if you want a faster test.

See if you get better results with 374.36 Beta 1. I did a few tests with the realtime monitor page earlier today, and didn't have any issue getting my devices show by their hostnames.

Also make sure you did enable the option to resolve IPs on that page.

Is there anything particular about your network, such as a bridge, a repeater, etc...?

See if you get better results with 374.36 Beta 1. I did a few tests with the realtime monitor page earlier today, and didn't have any issue getting my devices show by their hostnames.

Also make sure you did enable the option to resolve IPs on that page.

Is there anything particular about your network, such as a bridge, a repeater, etc...?

I have one switch connected (needed more than 4 hardlines, but other than that it is vanilla, albeit a large vanilla).

Loaded 36 beta1. At this point I would say you scored a direct hit!

Yes, it is slow like you said, but now it successfully rolled through every one and named them all after a few minutes. Even better, after the last one resolved, the endless wheel actually went away!

Traffic manager also now has 100% names listed!

An early Christmas present to say the least. I will let this roll for a few days, but I think my issues are 100% solved.

Cool beans, and great work! This is why we all love the work you do for all of us!!!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you are yours :)

Should the traffic manager match?

I show 19 clients at this point, and that seems like a real number vs the lower ones before, so that is good.

As of this same moment though, real time shows 12 hosts. Daily and monthly shows 9. Obviously I just rebooted manually after loading the beta, so it is only a few minutes old.

Shouldn't the monthly >= daily >= real time >= clients? It seems odd that clients is the largest number, but maybe if they only id themselves, but do not "download" anything? At the same time, I would think anyone that pinged would be listed as a 0/0 traffic regardless?

PS: "what resolve IP's switch"?

Should the traffic manager match?

I show 19 clients at this point, and that seems like a real number vs the lower ones before, so that is good.

As of this same moment though, real time shows 12 hosts. Daily and monthly shows 9. Obviously I just rebooted manually after loading the beta, so it is only a few minutes old.

Shouldn't the monthly >= daily >= real time >= clients? It seems odd that clients is the largest number, but maybe if they only id themselves, but do not "download" anything? At the same time, I would think anyone that pinged would be listed as a 0/0 traffic regardless?

For the missing entries, make sure you don't have any filter applied either under Tools -> Other Settings or on the traffic monthly page.

Also, check with Daily to ensure that your months stats are actually complete, and not just older stats missing recent entries.

It's also possible that you looked at it too early, and it hadn't had time to update the daily and monthly traffic yet. Give it a few hours and check again.

PS: "what resolve IP's switch"?

Under "Display advanced filter options" there's an option called "Display hostnames" - I thought that could originally be your problem if that option had been set to "No".

I would definitely say the client list is fixed. Shows 23 connected and they all look real.

I think there is something still odd with the traffic monitor, but again it may be "okay". There is definitely less listed than in the client list, but maybe that is because they connected and never logged any "data"? When I have a chance I will compare who is missing and see if there is any rhyme or reason to it. A ten second look says the game adapters are in the client list but not the traffic list, and they could easily be a register only, and not any data transfers established? Maybe there is cases with all zeroes, so they get filtered from the display? If so, it may be okay as is.

Is it possible there is a limit for the display size? I noticed there is no scroll bar and the list is large.

Last edited:
Okay, I compared the traffic list with the client list. It is definitely a specific set of things that are missing.

1) Printers. I have three printers. One hardlined and two wireless. They are listed on client side, but do not show on traffic monitor. They are all Brother printers, but I doubt that matters in the solution.

2) Cameras. I have an IP110W camera wirelessly connected. It shows in client list and not on traffic monitor side.

3) Game adapters, TEW-647GA in this case. It acts as a remote ether bus (sort of like a switch). The devices behind it, I need to test still to see if they do show up. This one may or may not be an issue, since he has an IP, but really is kind of like another remote router.

I will try some more testing and see if I can pin down any more specifics.

Another odd thing I just noticed with the game adapters. Again this may be normal, even though it is strange. The game adapter shows up correctly with his IP and ether. The device behind it shows up with a new IP (right), but his mac is really the game adapter one, not his. Maybe it acts like a cloned router address, but I am betting his mac is really something else (or is there effectively a "sub-mac?), and maybe the client list is wrong? Way out of my knowledge sphere, but I figured I would give you all the conditions I am seeing.