What's new

Diversion Diversion 4.3.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, released April 02 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Same answer as always. When it's ready.

@thelonelycoder is it possible to switch from standard to lite without loosing manually added blacklist?

Because if I do a uninstall and reinstall fro. Backup pixelserv-tls is reinstalled too

Thanks

About two months ago YouTube's Cast or Airplay device selection on our Apple iOS 16.5/16.6 and iPadOS 16.5/16.6 units went from almost instantaneous selection to like 45-60 second delay to present devices available. Merlin 388.2 & 388.4 Beta code on GT-AX6000 and swapped out to a GT-AXE11000, all the same effect.
Rebuilt a AXE16000 on 388.4 Beta1 (now Beta2) slowing testing router panel selections and rmerlin add-ons to finally locating the issue over three days...enabling Diversion's (4.3.3) option "tb" function for type 65 blocking the cause for the slow delay. 100% conclusive by enabling or disabling the "tb" function.
Household been using YouTube Airplay with "tb" enabled on Diversion since it was made available in Release 4.3.2 (Jul'22) but something changed about two months ago :confused:

Last edited:
About two months ago YouTube's Cast or Airplay device selection on our Apple iOS 16.5/16.6 and iPadOS 16.5/16.6 units went from almost instantaneous selection to like 45-60 second delay to present devices available. Merlin 388.2 & 388.4 Beta code on GT-AX6000 and swapped out to a GT-AXE11000, all the same effect.
Rebuilt a AXE16000 on 388.4 Beta1 (now Beta2) slowing testing router panel selections and rmerlin add-ons to finally locating the issue over three days...enabling Diversion's (4.3.3) option "tb" function for type 65 blocking the cause for the slow delay. 100% conclusive by enabling or disabling the "tb" function.
Household been using YouTube Airplay with "tb" enabled on Diversion since it was made available in Release 4.3.2 (Jul'22) but something changed about two months ago :confused:
The type 65 blocking worked ‘too well’ here. Anything Apple related, including App Store updates, went into slow mode, or didn’t work at all.
I note that Adguard DNS way of dealing with type 65 is only blocking it if the domain requested is in their blocklist.

I have just noticed this while having a look at different blocking list. Hopefully @thelonelycoder can work around this in the next release of Diversion 😊

https://oisd.nl/

oisd.png

This is of so little consequence I hesitate to mention it. I got my firmware upgrade notices overnight for 388.4; we are on to a new naming convention now to prevent future confusion so it is actually 3004.388.4.

pixelserv-tls will no longer be available in the next Diversion update. That speaks for itself.
I will shed a tear saying tschau-tschau to this old friend. When last I looked pixelserv-tls had successfully substituted zero https requests, so the ad-meisters seem to have blocked that form of single pixel hijacking. I've barely noticed the increased amount of whitespace on pages.

Still, pixelserv did one other thing fairly well, which was to handle the blocking more or less instantly, rather than relying on a time-out as per Lite. Curious to know if your new approach does something similar?

This is of so little consequence I hesitate to mention it. I got my firmware upgrade notices overnight for 388.4; we are on to a new naming convention now to prevent future confusion so it is actually 3004.388.4.
I cut out the rest of the string, as with previous version numbers. The 388.4 matters, the rest is implied.

Still, pixelserv did one other thing fairly well, which was to handle the blocking more or less instantly, rather than relying on a time-out as per Lite. Curious to know if your new approach does something similar?
Sad that the pixelserv-tls developer dropped support and future enhancements.

The new blocklist will be in Dnsmasq format, like local=/zzycj.com/ and is flagged as NXDOMAIN.

Sad that the pixelserv-tls developer dropped support and future enhancements.

The new blocklist will be in Dnsmasq format, like local=/zzycj.com/ and is flagged as NXDOMAIN.
Thanks for the update...need any testers anytime soon? :)

BTW, while I’m typing might as well give an update on the state of Diversion. Rewriting Diversion to use the new blocking list format seems trivial - change a few lines here and there and you’re done ;) :cool:
Far from it as I found out the hard way :mad:

So much is tied to sending requests to the blocking IP (0.0.0.0 or pixelserv-tls or external IP) that it becomes more like a rewrite of Diversion. I’m on it but as I rewrite the code, more and more things also need rewriting or deletion.

A lot of features will no longer make sense, so they too have to go. It’ll be a leaner and dumbed down version, for good reasons.

Thanks for the update...need any testers anytime soon? :)
As soon as I’m ready I will need a handful of beta testers to find bugs, typos and inconsistencies.
I’ll add you to the beta testers list.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!