What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Last edited:
sorry for hijacking the thread.

I am aware of the limitation of dns blocking and i know i am hijacking the thread. Just asking if anyone know how to block youtube ad in server level say via raspberry PI?

any known method other than the browser add-on.
Not a chance. If it were possible I or anyone else would have found a way.

I am aware of the limitation of dns blocking and i know i am hijacking the thread. Just asking if anyone know how to block youtube ad in server level say via raspberry PI?

A DNS sinkhole cannot block YouTube ads. If you manage to block one of their ad-serving domains by a lucky guess, they will just deliver the ad content over the same domain as the real video's content. Blocking YouTube ads is beyond the capability of a DNS-blocking solution. I'm sure Google has an army of people preventing ad-blocking, and sinkholing domains is not good enough. You need a content blocker, such as uBlock Origin on the desktop, or a third-party YouTube app on your device (such as NewPipe): https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

You will not be able to block ads if you cast them to a Chromecast; it's not possible. Unless you find some kind of third-party casting that is capable of running a third-party YouTube app.

Long discussion here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-block-ads-on-youtube/

Privoxy can and will content filter, however only http domains. And with the recent trend towards https ad serving, Privoxy is slowly but surely becoming obsolete. Don't even waste your time trying to setup Privoxy if your intention is to block YouTube ads.

The downside to trying to block these ad's is like when you try to block amazon; the whole page gets blocked(thinking about the APP....). For youtube videos, this means that the video would be unwatchable. That is because the ads are blocked VIA DNS traffic and the ad traffic comes from the same source as the video.

^^^^ Sadly, I grew tired of their ads, so I relented and joined. I felt it was a small price to pay vs my eyeballs being hounded to death constantly. I called it "Youtube's Ad Extortion Fee (YAEF)"! Sux but it is what it is. Peace. :)

Youtube ads are indeed starting to get a bit silly. That 7-8 minutes long video had a 15 secs unskippable ad at the start (annoying, but I can live with that), and they ALSO inserted another unskippable 10-15 secs ad right in the middle of the video, which I find highly disrupting.

When I checked how much they charge to get rid of the ads, I found out it was nearly as much as a Netflix subscription. Screw that....

A DNS sinkhole cannot block YouTube ads. If you manage to block one of their ad-serving domains by a lucky guess, they will just deliver the ad content over the same domain as the real video's content. Blocking YouTube ads is beyond the capability of a DNS-blocking solution. I'm sure Google has an army of people preventing ad-blocking, and sinkholing domains is not good enough. You need a content blocker, such as uBlock Origin on the desktop, or a third-party YouTube app on your device (such as NewPipe): https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

You will not be able to block ads if you cast them to a Chromecast; it's not possible. Unless you find some kind of third-party casting that is capable of running a third-party YouTube app.

Long discussion here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-block-ads-on-youtube/

Privoxy can and will content filter, however only http domains. And with the recent trend towards https ad serving, Privoxy is slowly but surely becoming obsolete. Don't even waste your time trying to setup Privoxy if your intention is to block YouTube ads.

thanks all...
will monitor that interesting discussion... lol
nice to see the f-droid android. wonder if there is any for my iOS

Youtube ads are indeed starting to get a bit silly. That 7-8 minutes long video had a 15 secs unskippable ad at the start (annoying, but I can live with that), and they ALSO inserted another unskippable 10-15 secs ad right in the middle of the video, which I find highly disrupting.

When I checked how much they charge to get rid of the ads, I found out it was nearly as much as a Netflix subscription. Screw that....
I'd rather setup an RPi 4 or similar SBC on my TV, get a wireless keyboard and mouse, run Chromium with uBlock Origin, and watch YouTube on my TV than pay a subscription to YouTube Red.

Every time I get those dreaded unskippable ads I cover my ears and close my eyes so they don't get away with me watching them. That will teach'em

I can't seem to update the pixelserv-tls software to Jack Yaz's version.

Have Diversion 4.1.4 running on Firmware 384.13 on a AC68U
On the front page of Diversion it reports pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2 likely v.Kk
Option ep > 6 >3 > 3 > 1
Says downloading, download successful then briefly something else which I guess is installing then back to the Diversion front screen and "Done Failed to update pixelserv-tls"

Any ideas or log to look at?

BTW I then tried amtm and that suggested using Diversion to update it.

I am having the same with the AC68U. Pixelserv won’t upgrade to 2.3

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

What happens when you import the CA from pixelserv into your device? I ask this because this is the first time I do this and I don't notice any difference compared when I didn't do it.

Last edited:

Option ep > 6 >3 > 3 > 1
Says downloading, download successful then briefly something else which I guess is installing then back to the Diversion front screen and "Done Failed to update pixelserv-tls"

I am having the same with the AC68U. Pixelserv won’t upgrade to 2.3

Actual 68Us or converted?

What happens when you import the CA from pixelserv into your device? I ask this because this is the first time I do this and I don't notice any difference compared when I didn't do it.

I generated the new certificate, but when I go to “pixelserve_IP-adresss/ca.crt”, nothing happens, besides a White screen. The stats displays the old version of pixelserve is running.

All seems to work. No ads. Every week a log in my email. Never imported a certificate, so I don’t actually know what this does, or what shouldn’t work when it’s not imported.

Actual 68Us or converted?
Sorry I don't understand that question.
I have an actual asus RT-ac68u running latest Merlin firmware.
Diversion I've had a for a while but never played beyond the 'default' pixelserv-tls, saw the mention of updating for IOS13 so thought I'd do it but it fails to update as mentioned.

Option ep > 6 >3 > 3 > 1

Try running the disk check script in amtm?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!