What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I will fix that ASAP, thanks for the heads up. If this is breaking something, it was not intentional. Please don’t assume evil intent.

I added this symlink so the nextdns binary can be in the path. It is just a convenience. Please tell me if there is a better way to do that without breaking entware.
You already add nextdns to /opt/sbin during installation. Don't reapply that line when booting or Entware is mounted as the file is already there.
Wait for /opt/ to be present before running nextdns start

Please don’t assume evil intent.
I don't, but it made my blood boil for a while. @XIII has been struggling for weeks to track this down, other users tried to help while I got frustrated that this user had to repeatedly reinstall everything on his router and no logs to prove it. It was all still there after all. Today I finally had a hunch to see what you do and presto!
Please tell me if there is a better way to do that without breaking entware.
/opt gets symlinked to /tmp/mnt/<whatever device the entware folder is on>/entware in a sourced file in /jffs/post-mount. You could add your entry after mine.
Or, again, simply have a sleep function until /opt is present.

I don't, but it made my blood boil for a while. @XIII has been struggling for weeks to track this down, other users tried to help while I got frustrated that this user had to repeatedly reinstall everything on his router and no logs to prove it. It was all still there after all. Today I finally had a hunch to see what you do and presto!

/opt gets symlinked to /tmp/mnt/<whatever device the entware folder is on>/entware in a sourced file in /jffs/post-mount. You could add your entry after mine.
Or, again, simply have a sleep function until /opt is present.

I will just move the symlink creation to the install script instead of the init script.

I’m sorry to hear that it caused you a lot of debug time and frustration. I couldn’t predict a symlink could break entware.

No worries. Those writing router ad-blocker code have yet to find a way to block YT ads. All attempts failed so far.
^^^ Yeap, YT was a decade ahead of the pact in circumventing proactive ad-blocking or ad-filtering or choice viewing, ... - after all Alphabet's entire "print money" business model depends on ads to eyeballs and tracking every click... :)

I will just move the symlink creation to the install script instead of the init script.

I’m sorry to hear that it caused you a lot of debug time and frustration. I couldn’t predict a symlink could break entware.
Don't forget to honour existing entries in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

Don't forget to honour existing entries in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
^^^ Hmm, I think you said a page or so ago that NextDNS installer does not replace the file on uninstall.. That might explain my wife's sev0 "come home an fix this now" last week issue. :) I think I need to wait for the dust to settle on this one. TY

It was all still there after all.
So my previous hunch was not that bad after all, it seems. Wish I had more knowledge about this and could have followed that trail myself.

I’m sorry it instead took you time to debug this and that it impacted your feelings, but I’m glad that we now know the root cause and that the NextDNS team will fix it.

I wasn't aware of NextDNS, it's perfect for my iPhone when connected to 4G/5G

I use routers vpn-server when im not at home instead, That way i get all the good stuff anyway Diversion with Pixelserv-tls/Skynet/DNSCrypt and so on ;)

I think I found the best setup, at least for me. AC86U with an OpenVPN server running. Passepartout OpenVPN client for iPhone, The great feature Passepartout offers is the ability to disable itself on "trusted" networks, and automatically connect on untrusted networks (add on ~$2.00 USD) otherwise the app is free, or you can use the free OpenVPN iOS client, if auto connect and disconnect of VPN is not important for you.

The autodisconnect on trusted networks means that the VPN turns off when the iPhone connects to my home network based on SSID I define. I have all other WiFi or LTE defined as untrusted, to it automatically connects to my AC86U OpenVPN server, and THAT means I get the benefits of Diversion and Skynet no matter where I go without having to remember to enable or disable the iPhone VPN client.

Last edited:
I use routers vpn-server when im not at home instead, That way i get all the good stuff anyway Diversion with Pixelserv-tls/Skynet/DNSCrypt and so on ;)

I would do that but 1. My bandwidth at home is only 32Mbps and 2. My ASUS router is behind a double nat 3. My ASUS router is always connected to a VPN (in the OpenVPN Profile) which seems to cause problems when I tested the OpenVPN server once.

I would do that but 1. My bandwidth at home is only 32Mbps and 2. My ASUS router is behind a double nat 3. My ASUS router is always connected to a VPN (in the OpenVPN Profile) which seems to cause problems when I tested the OpenVPN server once.
My home cable (Spectrum, only choice in this small town) is 100/15, but that works since I mostly stream music or do some web browsing when out and about, no high bandwidth needed.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Looking for some help. I installed diversion lite via the instructions on my Asus RT-88ax router. No adblocking is occurring. Disabled AI protection without success. Anyone have any troubleshooting steps I can work through?

@Tmx2200 what did you do to determine it isn't working?

Make sure you at least close the browser and re-open it. :)

Reactions: a5m

The general consensus in the scripting community may be to check for the linked path before creating your link.
Code:
 [ -d /opt/sbin ] && ln -sf "{{.Executable}}" "/opt/sbin/{{.Name}}"
I think you might be still risking a conflict by referring to /tmp/opt/sbin.

@Tmx2200, again, how are you determining that it is not working? ;)

Reactions: a5m

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!