What's new

Dual-band N with good range that doesn't drop connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itm

New Around Here
I'm looking for a dual band, dual radio wireless N access point for a home network. Key requirements are stability (i.e. no dropping of network connections to wireless connections) and range (I'd like it to extend 40-50 feet into my garden).
I've tried a Tenda W311R+ which had good reviews, particularly for its range, but it would randomly drop network connectivity to wireless devices after an hour or two of use, forcing the connected devices to be disconnected & reconnected in order to regain LAN and WAN access. Reading consumer reviews on other sites, this seems to be a common problem with many wireless N routers/access points, so I'm concerned that my next purchase will offer rock-solid continuous network connection.
My current WAP is a Buffalo Airstation wireless G device, and it has provided good dependable service, but I transfer alot of large files across the wireless connection so would like to capitalise on the improved speed of N devices.
The main devices that I'll be connecting to it are:
- Samsung Q330 laptop
- Acer Aspire 5742
- HTC Desire Z smartphone.
All three support wireless N.

Having read reviews and the "how to" guide on this site I'm considering one of these two:
Cisco Linksys WRT400N
NETGEAR WNDR3700

Can anyone offer any real-world practical feedback on the range of either of these, and also on how well they maintain wireless LAN connectivity for extended periods?

range is of course dependent on the client device's transmit power. If too low for the distance and obstructions in the path (furniture, walls, floors), a better WiFi router can do little to help. As the signal strength (to/from WiFi router) falls, the speed and latency decline and then falter all together.

Some range-improving actions include:

1. Reposition the WiFi router - more centrally located, higher above furniture, fewer walls, etc. May mean there's a longer cat5 cable to the cable/dsl modem on the WAN port.

2. Improve antennas on the WiFi router. Not practical for the newest/best MIMO products in 11n, esp. dual-band.

3. This is the most common solution: Add an access point (AP). Place it nearer the weak signal area. Connect it to the WiFi router's LAN port, via (a) cat5 if possible; (b) HPNA plug-ins (LAN over power lines in walls); (c) MoCA plug-ins (LAN over TV coax in walls). You can purchase an AP, or re-purpose any WiFi router to be an AP.

Trying to increase the radius of coverage of one WiFi router has a point of diminishing returns and feasibility, due to the clients' transmit power constraint and obstructions in the path.

All understood - thanks. I was just looking for a steer on a good "N" router with decent range and no dropout problems.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!