What's new

European WiFi 7 Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CJ-V300

Occasional Visitor
Do you think it's worth buying European WiFi 7 devices right now, specifically the bq 16 no-pro or the b98?

I saw that the problem is that the European Union hasn't yet enabled the upper part of the 6 GHz frequency, but they are studying it, so it's likely that at some point in 2025, it will be enabled. What will happen to those devices then? Ideally, it would be better to buy the American devices already, but I see that this is not possible, even though the operation is different. For example, in the b98, there are two 5 GHz bands and one 6 GHz band, versus the b98 pro which has two 6 GHz and one 5 GHz bands. Would it be possible to enable the upper 6 GHz band through a firmware update?

The thing is, knowing as we do that the European Union always lags behind but ends up complying, it seems nonsensical to invest in very expensive devices that are half-crippled by a regulation that, as always, is behind reality. What do you think? Should we wait or try to buy from Amazon USA, pay hefty duties, and get the pro model?

Easier to wait, (as I am a GT-BE98 Pro owner with troubles). Wait until more positive posts come out at least, because ASUS does not warranty out of country/zone purchases, plus the hefty penalty you mention.

If its the same hardware, is there any reason to believe it won't be enabled by a later firmware update/ip check?

Do you need this functionality right now? In the last couple of months my household has gone from having on 5GHz majority of AC devices, for literally a couple of weeks to more AX devices, and now more BE devices. I'm not intending to upgrade the router yet though, as there really is little point. That point may come, but for me it'll probably be a passive upgrade when getting anything less than BE would seem pointless!

You could technically end up being fined or worst case, end up in jail, if you use devices with unpermitted transmitters in them in the EU.
But it's your call if it's worth the risk to you, as someone would obviously have to report you for this to happen.

If its the same hardware, is there any reason to believe it won't be enabled by a later firmware update/ip check?

Likely not - once a device has completed regulatory certification for the Radio's, it's unlikely that any gear in the field already would see any changes in radio coverage.

Thanks for the responses; it's really more of a geeky curiosity than anything else. I renovated the apartment and installed quite a few Ethernet outlet (CAT 7) . There's a room where the Wi-Fi signal wasn't great, and I had my eye on the BQ16. Since I'm already spending (or investing, depending on how you look at it), I had thought about making the leap to WiFi 7.

In any case, my idea is not to use devices outside the regulations, or at least not to use those frequencies. I live in a very tall building (without other buildings nearby, it's a WiFi paradise) and all my neighbors are over 70 years old, so no one would notice. But, well, it's about principles.

My main curiosity is to know what will happen when EU aproves upper part of the 6 GHz frequency,. I see that you're not very optimistic about firmware update.

BQ16, BE98, they are both WiFi 7. They are just capped to the lower half of the full specified bandwidth...

There's two sides to buying a "USA" spec router, will you then buy USA spec devices along with their "tax/import duty"? Sounds like an expensive headache. Just save your money and when it's officially opened by your CE or other regulatory agency then buy it, legally.

There's only one router that was literally crippled from full potential that I know of, and I actually have one, it's the TP-Link Deco BE95. This is sold as a BE33000, but for a long time 6 GHz-2 was locked/dedicated backhaul. So it was sold as a BE33000, but only gave you BE22000. Earlier this month TP-Link released a firmware update that now allows use of 6 GHz-2, so the full 33000 is available. Why am I mentioning this? Because the router manufacturers are not going to sell you a BE30000 capable router as a BE24000 router, it would be the other way around. So no, no magical firmware update is going to increase your capacity beyond what they specify....

With 6GHz - one does need to step carefully - most regions have at least some part of the band open for unlicensed use, but some set part of the spectrum aside for things like public safety and applications in that space. Things like railroad signaling and the like.

Best advice I can give - purchased something in-country and don't try to import from another region.

Worst case - you might pay a fine, and get your gear confiscated if it causes interference...

To be fair I guess if you could find someone (you trust) to ship/mail you one, then you could simply turn off/disable 6 GHz-2, until regulatory release for use. That said I wonder if it would get stopped somewhere along the way...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!