What's new

HELP WITH ASUS DSL AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blackknight72

New Around Here
Hi all,

I was using a Billion 400G router till recently and it was doing a great job. However since it was almost 12 years old and the number of connected devices at home has gone up significantly I decided to go with the new ASUS DSL AC 68U. At the time of buying this unit I was using an 8Mbps line. I decided to increase the speed of the line from 8Mbps to 10Mbps. I noticed that the download speed was still the same (6.8Mbps on ethernet cable) while the upload speed showed a significant increase. I called the ISP and ruled out issues with the line.I further connected different modems including my old Billion 400G and they all gave me connection speeds of roughly 9Mbps or higher. I updated the software for the unit but there was no difference. I will greatly appreciate your opinion in this regard.

DSL doesn't mean you will be able to connect at the maximum speeds possible (or were promised or, even, paying for).

I'm not sure what opinions you're looking for here?

Either use the modem that gives you the best balance of speeds (up and down), or tell your ISP that you want to go back to the plan you were on previously.

You don't mention what your 'up' speeds were and are now, but they are just as important as download speeds (if they aren't symmetrical to begin with).

How much price difference from your old service to the new one? With just the upload speeds increased, I would be tempted to stay with the new contract. Depending on how much more you are paying, of course.

ASUS DSL AC 68U

post your dsl stats and include attenuation , snr and attainable and actual rates of speed

its under system log ] dsl log i think or something like that

the dsl-ac68u uses a mediatek modem chipset and whilst good on short lines from an adsl exchange they can be problematic on longer lines

the attenuation will tell you how far you are from the exchange , attenuation over 35db is not good for the asus

post your dsl stats and include attenuation , snr and attainable and actual rates of speed

its under system log ] dsl log i think or something like that

the dsl-ac68u uses a mediatek modem chipset and whilst good on short lines from an adsl exchange they can be problematic on longer lines

the attenuation will tell you how far you are from the exchange , attenuation over 35db is not good for the asus

Thank you for the response.

The stats are as follows for the Asus 68U vs Billion 400G in brackets

Max sync rate 1024 (1024)
Current Downstream sync 896 (1024)
SNR 6.8DB (5.7)
Attenuation 6DB (3.5)

The exchange is about 500 metres from where I am staying.

DSL doesn't mean you will be able to connect at the maximum speeds possible (or were promised or, even, paying for).

I'm not sure what opinions you're looking for here?

Either use the modem that gives you the best balance of speeds (up and down), or tell your ISP that you want to go back to the plan you were on previously.

You don't mention what your 'up' speeds were and are now, but they are just as important as download speeds (if they aren't symmetrical to begin with).

How much price difference from your old service to the new one? With just the upload speeds increased, I would be tempted to stay with the new contract. Depending on how much more you are paying, of course.

Hi

I understand that speeds could be no where near the promised. .

My problem is the router refuses to sync at 10Mbps in a line of 10Mbps. Instead it states at 8Mbps.Other modems are syncing at 10Mbps which means it is not a line related issue. In fact the SNR on my old router was less than 6DB when it gave a speed of 8,46 as opposed to 6.70 on the Asus. I also bought it for various other reasons like ability to use cloud provision, parental control, use of multiple devices, ability to link via ac link up and so forth. So going back to my old router will not be a real solution apart from wasting close to 4 grants on a new router.

I am basically trying to figure out if there is anything in the settings which could lead to this problem. I would also like to know if installing Merlin software could cure the condition as many people seem to be relying on Merlin software.

Asus did show an improvement in upload speeds but I hardly upload any big files. The upload speeds were fair enough with the 8Mbps connection. On the other hand download speeds does matter as I tend to stream quite a bit.

You don't give a lot of details (that were asked) in your reply above.

I can tell you RMerlin does not support any DSL modem/router combo's.

plz copy and paste the whole of the dsl stats page as i want to see both upload and download as well as errors and other stats that are on that page

Please find attached file. I hope these are the details you asked for.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 9.48.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 9.48.08 PM.png
    228 KB · Views: 2,350
the reason i asked you to copy and paste was the screen grab is quite hard to read even when zoomed

but

the modem is reporting a

download sync of 8128 and upload sync rate of 896

you have very low attenuation suggesting you are very close to the exchange and ether noise / crosstalk or other factors are effecting the upload somewhat

but the upload sync isnt that bad , what you have to understand is no one gets max sync as you have to add in overheads and other factors and thats why the data rate is what you go by

it might jut be the mediatek modem chipset doesnt like the noise

Hello Pete,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I was concerned about the download sync. The upload sync showed a drastic improvement after upgrading the line to 10mbps from 8mbps. However I understand many things can affect the sync rate and probably I should remain contented with what I have.

Thanks again!